Home Forums Threads Saved from the KAF Baking Circle Using Potato Water Thread

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Using Potato Water

Hi to All,
      I remember reading a while back where some of the members were talking about using some of the potato water and or beer (a half of cup, I think) in their bread. I can't remember if the purpose of this was for the flavor, texture or what. Does any one of you experienced bakers know what I am talking about? Is the potato water or beer used in place of the water? Is it used in place of the flakes that sometimes is called for? I have a bread maker that I used once because the bread turned out so heavy that I never used it again. I've read that many of you use the machine for just mixing the dough and baking the bread in the oven. I have been thinking about trying it again. Thanks for any thoughts on this topic.
      Wendy
      posted by: happyone179 on January 03, 2014 at 8:24 pm in Baking, bread machine

reply by: bakeraunt on January 03, 2014 at 9:50 pm
      I often use potato water in place of regular water when baking bread. In fact, I just did so today, using a cup in the Flax Oat buns (KAF) recipe. It does not call for potato flakes or potato flour. I do not think it can take the place of potato flour or flakes, but maybe someone else who has tried this can weigh in here. I particularly like potato water for my rye breads.

reply by: CinnaBunny on March 27, 2014 at 3:13 pm
      I add potato flour to bread recipes as it adds a lot of gluten after stirring them up. The potato water has a lot of potato particles in it and it also adds great flavor, texture and "meaty-ness" to breads. Another option is adding mashed potatoes to the dough. Delicious!

reply by: BakerIrene on March 27, 2014 at 5:06 pm
      The potato water adds shelf life to the bread. It makes the bread a lot more tender. You have to use plain water if you are proofing the yeast, but all other liquid can be replaced with potato water. And it's traditional in families that had to feed a lot of kids on a shoestring budget, you never wasted anything like vegetable steaming water because you could make a really good soup if not bread.

reply by: Diversity on April 29, 2014 at 4:09 pm
      Can potato water be used as a straight 1:1 substitution for regular water in any bread recipe?

reply by: swirth on April 29, 2014 at 4:33 pm
      Yes, 1:1...potato water for regular water.

reply by: Diversity on May 01, 2014 at 8:02 am
      Thanks, swirth!

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by BakerAunt.
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.