The Quest for a True Southern Biscuit Thread

Home Forums Threads Saved from the KAF Baking Circle The Quest for a True Southern Biscuit Thread

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

The Quest for A True Southern Biscuit

Hello, everybody, long time, no talk! But, I'm back and rarin' to go!
      As many of you know I have been on a quest for a simple, but wonderful, Mississippi biscuit recipe for my 8 year old grandson. His comment to me was, "If anyone can figure out this biscuit recipe, it's YOU, Gammy!" Well, with a challenge like that, what was I going to do? Right, I set out to find a perfect southern biscuit for this incredibly important young man.
      Basically the recipe I found was flour, shortening with an added boost of yeast. This is a really wonderful, tall, soft, SOUTHERN biscuit. It takes time, you know, cutting in the shortening, letting the yeast proof overnight, all those things. Too time consuming? No, not when you want to make something for a special person. I would do it over and over for him, no matter what I had to do. He is that important to me.
      BUT........
      In trying different recipes, and believe me I've tried more biscuits than anyone should ever have to eat. My waistline will attest to that! I have stumbled upon something I had to share. This is my go-to recipe for Southern biscuits and it is so simple and good, I've just about thrown all the other recipes away. So here goes:
      1 40 oz box of BisQuik
      1 1/2 cups sour cream
      1 12 oz bottle/can 7-Up
      Pour the 7-Up into a very large bowl. Whisk in the sour cream until there are no lumps. Dump the entire box of BisQuik in and stir, briefly and gently, to combine. Heavily flour the counter or board and scoop the dough mixture onto the counter and press it into a disk and flatten it with your hands, folding the mass over onto itself a couple of times. Pat it out to about 3/4" thick and use a SHARP biscuit cutter to cut your biscuits into any size you want. I used a 2" round cutter and got 24 biscuits. After the first cutting, I folded the scraps over themselves and patted it back out 3-4 times to use all the dough. The last biscuit was just as pretty, light, fluffy as the first.
      I put all these biscuits on a parchment lined cookie sheet and froze them. Then put them in a ZipLoc. In the morning I put 2 biscuits on a cookie sheet, butter the top and bake for 22 minutes at 400°. I get the most wonderful, hot, fresh biscuits for breakfast.
      If you want to bake them right after making them, set the oven to 400°, butter the top of the biscuit and bake for 18 minutes.
      Now, I don't know about you, but I love a real, true, rolled and cut, Southern biscuit. I know you can get a pretty good, simple, drop biscuit, without much trouble, but Southern biscuits are harder to make. They are just more time consuming. I can't do that first thing in the morning. Being able to make and freeze these so I can just bake them in the morning was a life saver for me. And the BisQuik does all the shortening cutting for you.
      The best part of this recipe? There are virtually no leftover ingredients! You use the entire box of BisQuik. I never use BisQuik for anything else, so I hated to buy a box that was only partially used. I found I could buy one can of 7-Up from a coke machine. No six-pak of a soft drink I won't use. Sour cream is another thing all together. I'll use the rest of a partial container of sour cream, but I found that I could use as much as 2 cups (two 1 cup containers) without any other change in the recipe. The dough was a little stickier, but some more flour on the board took care of that. So, no waste! Yay!! And let's face it, having 24 biscuits in the freezer, ready to go, is the best part of all of this! ?
      That's the story on the biscuits. I'm taking a batch to my number one biscuit taster when we head north in a couple of weeks. He can be the final judge. I'll let you know what he says. They may not taste as good as the ones with the yeast, but they sure are easy to make.
      Now, for me. I'm doing pretty well. I've adjusted medications, again. The doctors want me off the prednisone, but as I got down to 5 mgs, all my MS symptoms came roaring back and I was in very bad shape. So, once again, we (The Saint and I) had that 'talk'. What do I do? We realized that if I stopped the prednisone I would be bedridden, completely, within just a few months (2-3). After that aspiration pneumonia would quickly follow. I've had it once and laying down, without much movement, would virtually guarantee I would get it again. It isn't the MS that kills you, it's usually a respiratory problem that does it. In all probability I would be gone within six months.
      If I started on a high dose of prednisone, like 100 mgs, the medication MAY cause diabetes and some other organ failures over the next 5-7 years. But until that happens the MS symptoms would be under control and I would feel pretty good. My bowel and bladder function would improve, as well as the balance, fatigue and severe foot drop/drag.
      If you read the two previous paragraphs I think you can see which decision we made. Nobody makes the conscious decision to shorten their life, but I think, under the circumstances, this is the only path I could take. If you can see something I'm missing, please, speak up. I'm open to any suggestions!
      Okay, that's the story. We are headed out to Charlotte, our yearly northern trek, the end of September. We are making plans to meet with cwcdesigns after Charlotte, on our way down the eastern coast towards Florida. If there are others in our path, speak up and maybe we can swing your way. I would love to meet as many of my 'baking' family as possible. All of you have been so incredibly supportive over the last 15 years, I'm not sure what I would have done without you. Let me hear from you!
      ~Cindy
      posted by: Mrs Cindy on September 12, 2014 at 4:14 pm in General discussions

Replies to this discussion

reply by: PaddyL on September 12, 2014 at 4:24 pm
      God love you, Cindy, my prayers for you will never cease.

reply by: Antilope on September 12, 2014 at 6:01 pm
      If anyone doesn't want to use a whole box of BisQuik, I figured the baker's percentage of the recipe and then calculate the quantities for using 2 cups and 3 cups of BisQuick:
      Baker's Percentage
      100% 1 40 oz (1134g) box of BisQuik (1 box contains about 9 1/3 cups of BisQuik)
      30.42% 1 1/2 cups (345g) sour cream
      31.75% 1 12 oz bottle/can (360g) 7-Up
      Using 2 cups of Bisquick
      2 cups (244g) Bisquick
      1/3 cup (74g) sour cream
      1/3 cup (78g) 7-Up
      Using 3 cups of Bisquick
      3 cups (366g) Bisquick
      1/2 cup (111g) sour cream
      1/2 cup (116g) 7-Up
      "Pour the 7-Up into a very large bowl. Whisk in the sour cream until there are no lumps. Dump the entire box of BisQuik in and stir, briefly and gently, to combine. Heavily flour the counter or board and scoop the dough mixture onto the counter and press it into a disk and flatten it with your hands, folding the mass over onto itself a couple of times. Pat it out to about 3/4" thick and use a SHARP biscuit cutter to cut your biscuits into any size you want. I used a 2" round cutter and got 24 biscuits. After the first cutting, I folded the scraps over themselves and patted it back out 3-4 times to use all the dough. The last biscuit was just as pretty, light, fluffy as the first.
      I put all these biscuits on a parchment lined cookie sheet and froze them. Then put them in a ZipLoc. In the morning I put 2 biscuits on a cookie sheet, butter the top and bake for 22 minutes at 400°."
      Homemade Bisquick - 1 cup
      1 cup (120g) all purpose flour
      1 1/2 teaspoons (5g) baking powder
      1/2 teaspoon (3g) salt
      2 Tablespoons (25g) shortening

reply by: dachshundlady on September 12, 2014 at 6:13 pm
      Glad you are headed "north" soon. I know how much fun it is to get ready for an RV trip. It's work but so exciting to hit the road.

Thank you for the recipe. It sounds good. And easy! Let us know what dear grandson thinks. I imagine he will be honest, lol.

reply by: frick on September 12, 2014 at 6:18 pm
      Cindy, It's such crushing news but since you are between a rock and a hard place, I think you made the right decision. Go gangbusters as long as you can, feeling pretty good. 100 mg pred/day is a gigantic amount but if that's what it takes to not succumb to pneumonia sometime this winter, I guess you gobble those pills. Only you can make the decision of when to throw in the towel and I am so glad you will be with us (and the rest of the planet) for a considerably longer time.
      Damn you, MS.
      Biscuits for another thread. And of course, that grandson is absolutely worth every molecule of your time.

reply by: Livingwell on September 12, 2014 at 6:41 pm
      Oh Cindy, I'm so sorry to hear your news. What an awful decision to have to make! I am sending cyber hugs and prayers that you will be as healthy as possible for as long as possible.
      reply by: weedsnstitches on September 12, 2014 at 8:41 pm
      I think you made the right decision. Quality over pitiful quantity. I'll take quality ie active and doing versus bedridden.
      I have a good friend who has MS and I see her struggle with it. Good days/bad days/really bad days.
      reply by: cwcdesign on September 12, 2014 at 8:46 pm
      antilope - thank you for the conversions and the homemade Bisquick recipe. I'm definitely going to have to try these. Thanks Cindy!

reply by: Mrs Cindy on September 12, 2014 at 9:31 pm
      Antilope, I considered making my own BisQuik, but in the end what I wanted was quick and easy. Also, another trick I fell into........I happened to be at the dollar store to get all the fill in stuff for both a sweet and a savory Chex mix to take with us on our trip, when I saw the 40 oz. BisQuik on the shelf for much less than in the grocery store. They also had a coke machine by the front door where I got the can of 7-Up. My decision was made for me in that instant!
      When I scooped and measured, not going by weight, I got just barely over 7 cups of BisQuik from the 40 oz. box. Since the original recipe called for 4 cups BisQuik, 1 cup sour cream and 1 cup 7-Up, I didn't want to end up with part of a box of mix and part of a bottle of 7-Up. I just started by using the full box of mix and a full bottle/can of 7-Up. The sour cream was the only ingredient I didn't mind having left overs, even though you CAN use 2 cups without a problem.
      I paid just over $2 for the mix. I didn't keep track of the other ingredients, but I think I got 24 biscuits for just a tiny bit over $5. A bargain in my book. And, again, the ease of preparation was the guiding light. The mix was already made, with the shortening cut in, everything measured and mixed.
      Having the recipe for your own BisQuik is wonderful. I really appreciate your posting it. Thanks!
      ~Cindy

reply by: Mrs Cindy on September 12, 2014 at 9:34 pm
      D-Lady, I'm afraid my darling GS will be brutally honest.......
      ~Cindy

reply by: berwynbaker on September 12, 2014 at 9:55 pm
      MrsCindy, it is so good to see you here again. I have been wondering how you were doing. I saw this recipe on facebook and decided I was going to try it. After your glowing report it is now on the to do list for this coming week. BB

reply by: Rascals1 on September 12, 2014 at 10:29 pm
      Southern biscuits are just flour, shortening and buttermilk. For the most part they use self-rising flour on the line white lily. I never cut biscuits just pinched off a ball and shaped it by hand. Sorry I'm not much help.

It's something like 2 cups flour, 1/4 cup shortening (I sometimes used oil) and enough butter milk to make a soft dough about 3/4 cup.

You kneed or fold it a couple of times on floured surface before shaping. Bake at 400 about 12 min.
      Makes about 9 biscuits

reply by: psycnrs1 on September 14, 2014 at 5:59 am
      Cindy I miss you so. Paddy said it best.

reply by: mumpy on September 14, 2014 at 7:16 am
      So good to see you here Cindy....I hope you're satisfied with your decision...I'm glad you're going to be active and with us for a while yet!

reply by: buttercup on September 14, 2014 at 8:05 am
      Cindy, glad to see you here again, it's been a while. Have a great and safe trip and enjoy every minute.

reply by: swirth on September 14, 2014 at 8:27 am
      God bless you, dear friend...enjoy every minute that you can. I need tips on using a wheel chair without bumping into things, LOL! Hoping your fall trip will be a joy for both of you!

reply by: Mrs Cindy on September 14, 2014 at 9:12 am
      Swirth, bless your heart, wheelchairs are a true PIA aren't they! I can tell you, with absolute certainty, there is no way to use a wheelchair without scarring every wall or cabinet below waist height. I know this how???........
      Well, while we are gone on vacation, my wonderful contractor will have his painter here touching up my entire first floor. That's how! My beautiful kitchen looks like a war zone. Every cabinet is gouged and scraped. I try so hard not to run into things. I really, really do. Sometimes it works, but most of the time something will catch or scrape just when I thought I was past it. Makes me so stinking mad!
      But, I can also say this. It is better to let the wheelchair scrape the cabinet than let my fingers/hands get caught between the wheelchair and the cabinet. Just about the time I get all my wounds healed up, I catch my knuckles in the worst way possible and have to start the bandage routine all over again.
      Because of the prednisone my skin is very thin and fragile. All it takes is the slightest scrape and the entire top layer of skin comes off. A small portion is just age and old skin, but a bigger portion is the steroids. T.S. knows if I've had a particularly busy day when he walks in the door and looks at my arms and legs. More than 3 of my 'special' NexCare band aides means we're having a masterpiece for dinner! ?
      Just know that the wheelchair is saving you from falling down and risking greater injury. That is the only way to approach it. If there are any tips or knowledge I can impart, or any questions you might have, please holler at me. I have all kinds of 'handicap' tips for working in the kitchen. There is one tip I give everyone who is a first time wheeler. Buy a big (like 36) bunch of bar towels from Sam's or Costco. Keep 2 towels on your lap (folded in 1/2) at all times. They save your clothes from everything. You tend to carry things on your lap, so the towels protect your clothes and lap. At the end of the day, throw all those towels, you will be surprised at how many you use, into the washer/dryer so you can start over the next day. Life saver!!
      Please take care of yourself. Let your DH do some of what you've been doing all these years. I know how hard it is, but at least try.
      Lovingly,
      ~Cindy

reply by: Mrs Cindy on September 14, 2014 at 9:32 am
      I'm taking three baggies of frozen biscuits to the darling boy when we go through Dallas on our way to Charlotte.
      The baggies are labeled 'A', 'B' and 'C'. I will include a piece of parchment with lines and each section will be labeled for four of the biscuits. They all bake at the same heat, 400°, for 22 minutes. All get butter or cream (his choice) on top. This way each family member will get one of each type of biscuit and can vote on which one they liked the best. I'm the only one who knows which recipe goes to which letter. I'm including one made with shortening and yeast, one with shortening and buttermilk and the 7-Up one. They all look exactly the same in their frozen state, but, let me tell you, when they come out of the oven, they look entirely different.
      I'm really anxious to see which one they (mainly him) like the most. I should have an answer by the first weekend of October and I'll pass it on to all of you.
      The debate on a TRUE Southern biscuit rages on. As I'm sure all of you know a true Southern biscuit is flour (White Lily, preferably), salt, lard/butter/shortening and buttermilk. Dough patted out and cut with a sharp biscuit cutter. They can be touching on the baking sheet, but most of the time they are separated so they can rise independent of each other. This is SUPPOSED to be a true Southern biscuit. Anything else is a family variation, which is why the debate rages on and there are literally thousands of 'Southern Biscuit' recipes on the interweb. Isn't this a fun experiment to have as the weather begins to cool off??
      ~Cindy

reply by: Antilope on September 14, 2014 at 10:25 am
      I used the Bisquick nutritional label to figure the number of cups. It gave the serving size as 1/3 cup and 28 servings per 40 oz. box. That works out to 9 1/3 cups. I used the box weight and your sour cream and 7-up amounts to figure the Baker's percentage. So, the Baker's percentage weights are exact but the cups of Bisquick needed are estimated. A cup of Bisquick based on the nutritional label is 40 oz / 9.33 cups = 4.29 oz each or 122 grams

reply by: Livingwell on September 14, 2014 at 1:43 pm
      Cindy, I'm looking forward to seeing the results of your biscuit taste test. If you can, please post pictures of the biscuits so we can see how they differ visually, if at all. It does sound like a fun experiment!
      I like to put my biscuits on the baking sheet just touching so they are softer. I read a tip somewhere that putting them on upside down makes them rise straighter, so I've been doing that, too. For the most part it works, although to tell you the truth, I still get a few lopsided ones.

reply by: frick on September 14, 2014 at 6:19 pm
      I made David Lee's last night. They were too squat using his 1/2-2/3" thickness While light enough and moist inside, they were a bit crusty. I seem to taste the baking powder too much these days and by the rise I suspect I should replace it. I have never made anything exclusively with cream of tartar and baking soda so should try it right away for comparison.

reply by: Mrs Cindy on September 23, 2014 at 12:19 pm
      Hi, all! Just checking in and had an update to share.
      I gave the 7-up recipe to a friend I think of as 'The Biscuit Queen'. A very dear friend who is truly a phenomenal cook. She was intrigued, as I was, with the idea that this recipe could work. I have her recipe for what she calls 'Angel Biscuits'. It used yeast, baking powder, baking soda, shortening and buttermilk. It is time consuming (starting the night before), labor intensive and has lots of ingredients. That said, the biscuits are incredible and very close to the 'A' biscuits I'm sending to the grandson.
      She texted me on Saturday morning. The text, in part, said she had made the biscuit dough. It had 'sploaded. It was the never ending dough.' She made 34 biscuits and had put them in the freezer. She would bake some the next morning and let me know. She also said if these tasted okay this would be her go-to recipe because it was so easy and with the proportions I had given, she had nothing left over. Like me, she would never use a partial box of Bisquik or a half empty bottle of 7-Up.
      The next morning the report came. "Beautiful dough. Easy to work with. Start to finish, less than 1/2 hour, including clean up. OMG, they rose to double the height of the cut biscuit. They tasted wonderful! I baked 9 biscuits, there were 3 granddaughters and me for breakfast. These were such big biscuits I thought 9 would be enough. It wasn't. The girls (all under the age of 8) said they loved them and ate multiples. I even ate more than one. I love, love, love this recipe. I'm going to make another batch as soon as I can get more Bisquik, for my SIL. He loves biscuits in the morning. What better gift could I give him. A ZipLoc full of frozen disks of pure joy!"
      This recipe is a keeper. I will try to do a 'bake off' of my own with the biscuits to show the before and after so everyone can see. I'm also going to try livingwell's trick of turning them upside down to see what happens.
      ~Cindy

reply by: Mrs Cindy on September 27, 2014 at 9:16 am

PRELIMINARY BISCUIT REPORT
      I have a surprising report. I made three different biscuits. I've tried to post a before and after picture, but can't seem to do it. If someone can do it for me, I'll be happy to send the pictures to you.
      First I sort of skewed the results, unintentionally, by putting the prettiest, tallest, fluffiest, biscuit as biscuit 'A'. I didn't mean to do it this way. Biscuit 'A' had the most ingredients (flour, yeast, baking soda, baking powder, etc.), so I put it first. The others, biscuit 'B' and 'C' had lesser ingredients. Biscuit 'B' was a standard buttermilk biscuit with flour, salt and shortening. Biscuit 'C' was the 7-Up biscuit.
      I gave one of each to four different people in baggies labeled A, B, and C.
      One lady told me, from the start, she knew she would like biscuit A best because it looked the prettiest.
      The final results came back this morning. Note: my darling grandson was not one of the taste testers. I will be giving him his biscuits next weekend. This was just to satisfy my curiosity.
      Every single response (including the aforementioned lady) was..........biscuit 'C'. Without fail, biscuit 'C'. The reasons? Fluffier. I really liked how it tasted. Flavors balanced. Like my Gramma used to make. Not too much baking powder taste. A true Southern biscuit. So moist.
      I must admit I really expected biscuit 'A' to be the winner. It was an incredibly good biscuit. It had the loft from the yeast, baking powder and baking soda, was very moist and, like mentioned before, the prettiest biscuit.
      So, yes, I was surprised. The easiest biscuit, with the fewest ingredients, won the preliminary taste test. Go figure. All these years I've brooded over finding the perfect biscuit recipe. Here it was, all along. So simple.
      ~Cindy

reply by: Livingwell on September 27, 2014 at 11:19 am
      I'm surprised to hear "prettiest" biscuit didn't win! Since we eat with our eyes first, I would have thought it would skew the opinions of the taste testers. Guess that means the fanciest isn't always the best, and simpler really is sometimes better. Of course, your most important critic has weighed in yet 😉

reply by: robinwaban on September 28, 2014 at 12:08 am
      Well, hello, Mrs. Cindy! So nice to see you posting. I don't know how I missed this post. Probably because I never make biscuits, but I will now! They sound wonderful. As a matter of fact I just bought a package of Lily White Flour today because it was the first time I'd seen it. Now what can I make with it? So sorry about your health issues. I always feel it's the quality of life that counts. Let's hope and prayer for a lot of good years to come. Wish you'd come to Boston. I'd "push" you all over and with pleasure. Regardless, enjoy your trip and thanks for the post.

reply by: berwynbaker on September 28, 2014 at 1:03 pm
      Thank you, MrsCindy, for this quick and easy recipe. I made them the other day and my husband loves them. I really like the fact that they taste so fresh after being frozen. I can now have biscuits on hand all the time. BB

reply by: dachshundlady on September 29, 2014 at 10:16 am
      Once again, THANK YOU Cindy for your baking and taste tests. You save us all so much work AND find the best recipes. I can't wait to try these and have frozen biscuits on hand!

reply by: dachshundlady on September 29, 2014 at 5:07 pm
      Cindy, I made these biscuits and oh my, are they good. You weren't lying. I forgot to buy the 7-Up so I used lemon lime seltzer and added 4 teas sugar to the mix. I also used full fat sour cream to get maximum moistness. I ate 3 with homemade chili tonight. DH gets home late but will enjoy them too.

reply by: Mrs Cindy on October 04, 2014 at 9:35 pm
      I'm so glad everyone is having such good results with this silly little recipe. It really works and they taste so good! I think you could use almost any lemon/lime carbonated soda in this. I think it's the carbonation that reacts with the sour cream and creates the extra lift and moistness.
      I'm waiting for the darling grandson to get over his strep throat to get a report on these biscuits. I'll let you know when I know!
      ~Cindy

reply by: Wonky on October 04, 2014 at 9:49 pm
      Welcome back girl...it is SOOOOOO good to "see" you. Am definitely going to try this. Sounds great, and so convenient to have in the freezer. Also, blessings to you that your health will continue to get better.

reply by: Mrs Cindy on October 05, 2014 at 9:56 pm
      The report of the taste test is in! First, the darling boy admits he cannot remember EXACTLY what the original Mississippi Biscuits tasted like. There was a new cook this year and the biscuits at camp were not the same as the ones last year. That said, all four of them picked the same biscuit.
      The winner is biscuit 'B'!!! This biscuit is your standard Southern Buttermilk Biscuit. Flour, salt, shortening and buttermilk. I really thought they would pick biscuit 'A'. It was what is sometimes called an Angel Biscuit. Made with yeast, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, shortening, salt, flour and buttermilk. They rise up double high and very moist. An excellent biscuit. So, imagine my surprise when they all choose the standard Southern Biscuit!
      I'm just reporting in on the test results. But, for my taste, it's biscuit 'C', the 7-Up biscuit. This is the biscuit I make for gifting and for myself. You can choose whichever one you wish. If you want me to, I will be happy to post all three recipes. Let me know!
      Thanks for joining in on my quest! It's been a long, interesting year!
      ~Cindy

reply by: Livingwell on October 06, 2014 at 7:36 am
      So the "official" verdict is in and it's Biscuit B! That's funny that he can't remember exactly how the original biscuits tasted. No matter. You had fun doing the experiment, he had fun eating the biscuits, and I had fun reading all about it!

reply by: happyone179 on October 06, 2014 at 10:51 pm
      Hi Cindy,
      When you find some time I for one would like to have the recipe for the "A" biscuit. It sounds like it would taste so good. Hope you are doing better with your health and "happy baking". Thank you.
      Wendy

reply by: Mrs Cindy on October 07, 2014 at 9:07 pm
      Wendy, this biscuit is often referred to as 'Angel Biscuits', which is why I labeled them biscuit 'A'. They are VERY good, but I have one suggestion. Note the amount of baking powder. You might want to decrease this to 1 tablespoon. Only because of the chemically taste you get from the baking powder.
      Angel Biscuits
      Ingredients:
      5 cups AP flour
      1 tsp baking soda
      3 Tbsp sugar
      1 tsp salt
      3 Tbsp baking powder
      1 cup shortening
      1 pkg dry yeast
      2 Tbsp warm water
      2 cups buttermilk
      Directions:
      Preheat oven to 450°F. In large bowl sift together flour, baking soda, sugar salt and baking powder. Cut in the shortening with pastry blender.
      In small bowl dissolve yeast in warm water and allow to proof for 10 minutes. Add yeast mixture and buttermilk to the dry ingredients and mix until a soft dough is formed. Turn dough out onto a floured board and knead just a couple of times.
      Split dough in half. Pat one half of dough to 1" and cut with floured biscuit cutter. Repeat with second half of dough or store in plastic bag in the refrigerator until ready to use. Dough lasts one week.
      Bake the biscuits for about 10 minutes. Serve warm
      This is a wonderful, pillowy, biscuit. Very moist and light. I've seen it with less baking powder and I think the excess baking powder may be the reason this was not the winning biscuit in my taste tests. I made it to this exact recipe. I think if I had only used 1 tablespoon, it might have been the winner. Three tablespoons of baking powder isn't necessary to 'lift' these biscuits. The yeast will take care of that.
      I hope you enjoy them. They are a lot of work, but worth the effort.
      ~Cindy

reply by: happyone179 on October 07, 2014 at 9:29 pm
      Hi Cindy,
      Thank you for the quick response for the recipe. The ingredients looks like it would taste great. I an going to make it this weekend and will let you know how they turned out.
      Wendy

reply by: Mrs Cindy on October 08, 2014 at 5:06 am
      Wendy, I was afraid I didn't have this with me, but after an exhaustive search, I found it! Yay!
      This recipe comes from a stained, much used, mimeographed, stapled together, little bunch of recipes put together by a home economics teacher over 50 years ago as a student project for her classes. I got it from one of my dearest friends. While I haven't made these, I know they work and are incredible because (before the easy 7-Up biscuits) these were all she ever made.
      Note how similar this is to the recipe I posted for Angel Biscuits. I think this is the original recipe and over the years the teaspoon and tablespoon designation for the baking powder got switched and nobody noticed! This recipe calls for 3 TEASPOONS, not tablespoons, of baking powder. I think that is much closer to what it should be.
      If you are going to make these, use this recipe. I know you won't be disappointed.
      Texas Angel Biscuits
      Ingredients:
      5 cups Flour
      1/4 cups sugar
      3 tsp baking powder
      1 tsp baking soda
      2 tsp salt
      1 cup shortening (try butter flavor Crisco)
      1 pkg dry yeast (2 1/4 tsp)
      2 Tbsp warm water
      2 cups buttermilk
      Directions:
      Put flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt in large bowl and whisk together. Cut cold shortening into the flour mixture until only small pea sizes remain.
      Mix yeast with warm water in small cup and let proof for 10 minutes while you are mixing the flour and shortening.
      Add the yeast mixture to the buttermilk and add the mixture to the flour. Stir to incorporate.
      Turn dough out onto a floured board and knead just to bring it all together. Pat into a circle 1/2-3/4" thick and cut with a sharp 2" biscuit cutter. Put on baking sheet and allow to rise (not really necessary) or put in fridge for several hours or overnight (unbaked).
      Brush tops with melted butter and put in preheated 425° F oven to bake for 12 minutes. Biscuits freeze well after being baked. Reheat wrapped in tinfoil.
      Enjoy!
      ~Cindy

reply by: Mrs Cindy on October 12, 2014 at 1:04 pm
      Wendy, I'm just checking in to see if you made biscuits this weekend and, if so, how did they turn out?
      Inquiring minds.......
      ~Cindy

reply by: Rascals1 on October 12, 2014 at 3:59 pm
      Cindy I was out of all purpose flour one week end and made the ''Texas Angle Biscuits'' using self rising flour and leaving out the baking powder and baking soda. Worked out well.

reply by: happyone179 on October 12, 2014 at 8:14 pm
      Hi Cindy,
      The biscuits turned out great. We had them this morning with our brunch. I will be making these for the holidays. Thank you for such a good recipe. I hope you enjoyed your weekend.
      Wendy

reply by: Mrs Cindy on October 14, 2014 at 11:38 am
      So glad the recipe worked out for everyone. I love when a good recipe is posted and gets used with good results. The feedback is invaluable! Thanks!
      ~Cindy

reply by: Mrs Cindy on November 01, 2014 at 7:55 am
      An addendum to this thread:
      T.S., my sister and I are on a short weekend road trip to the Canton flea market. I needed to have something for a quick easy breakfast. Himself eats his fruit and oatmeal every morning, but us ladies needed something else. I decided to make scones. AT THE LAST MINUTE. So, I devised a scheme, or, rather I tweaked this recipe.
      I made the full recipe with the 40 ounce box of Bisquik, but I added 1 full cup of sugar. After it was all mixed up, I divided my dough mass into quarters and kneaded dried fruit into each quarter. I used cherries in one, apricots in another and blueberries and peaches in each of the other two. Then just patted each into a 1/2" thick round, cut into wedges, sprinkled with sparkling sugar and froze them.
      I'm happy to report that, while they aren't the absolute best scones I've ever eaten, they certainly fill the bill. Especially with Kerry Gold Irish butter, jam and homemade clotted cream.
      This recipe is turning out to be one of those versatile recipes that can easily be tweaked for several different uses. I think it could be used as a dumpling in chicken or beef soup or a topping on pot pies. I've been using my waffle iron for unusual baked things lately and have an idea rolling around in my head using a variation of this recipe (it involves cinnamon sugar and butter).
      I just wanted to let all of you know what I've been up to.
      ~Cindy

reply by: Livingwell on November 01, 2014 at 9:09 am
      See?? That's why I'm so impressed with all the bakers here. I have no imagination when it comes to cooking and baking, and would *never* have thought of doing something like that, MrsCindy!

reply by: Mrs Cindy on November 02, 2014 at 7:46 am
      Stick around, livingwell, this place has a way of stretching your imagination and making you think outside the baking pan. It won't be long and you will find yourself doing the strangest things..........and it will work!!!! Welcome to the asylum!
      ~Cindy

reply by: omaria on November 02, 2014 at 9:37 am
      Homemade clotted cream?? Is that something like you pour heavy cream on a cookie sheet and let it sit in a warm oven for a length of time?

reply by: Livingwell on November 02, 2014 at 12:11 pm
      LOL, MrsCindy!

reply by: Mrs Cindy on November 05, 2014 at 7:13 am
      No, homemade clotted cream is made with heavy cream, powdered sugar and sour cream. Double Devonshire cream is made with cream cheese and heavy whipping cream. I have several little 'cheat' recipes for the creams you use on scones. It's hard to find the real stuff here in the states. I know it's not the real thing, but when you sit down to a hot buttered scone, like I'm doing right now, it's somehow comforting to plop a big ole scoop of something akin to cream on the top. Call me decadent.......
      ~Cindy
      Oh, yeah, and a tad bit overweight. Must do something about that. But, let me finish this little bite.....
      ~C

reply by: Livingwell on November 05, 2014 at 7:19 am
      You have scones? Right now?? I want one! Or two or......
      Omaria, I tried the mock Devonshire cream recipe from a member here. Let me see if I can find it.

reply by: Mrs Cindy on November 05, 2014 at 7:21 am
      I'm eating a cherry and a blueberry. I have peach and apricot in the freezer for tomorrow mornings breakfast. Come on over......
      ~Cindy

reply by: Livingwell on November 05, 2014 at 7:37 am
      Save me one, I'll be right there! 😉
      Omaria, here's the link with Her Boudoir's recipe for mock Devonshire cream. Speaking of which, where has she been lately???
      http://community.kingarthurflour.com/content/scones-biscuits

reply by: Mrs Cindy on November 05, 2014 at 7:38 am
      Okay, it was 3:00 a.m. I was up taking meds, drinking coffee. The paper wasn't here, but I got it online. This is where the trouble started. Heloise's column. She had her mother's recipe for tiny angel biscuits. Maybe it was the early hour, maybe lack of that second cup of coffee. My brain exploded into hyperdrive.
      I was explaining to someone in another thread how this forum forces you to think outside the box, or baking pan. It did it to me just now. I've thought it over. I see no flaws. I'm on the hunt.
      I shall report back with the results. Busy day today, but should be able to accomplish my task before the weekend. Hang tight. Something new this way comes......
      ~Cindy

reply by: robinwaban on November 05, 2014 at 8:35 pm
      Mrs. Cindy - found this on Pinterest. Would you recommend butter?

http://www.365daysofbakingandmore.com/2014/11/easy-7-up-biscuits/

reply by: wingboy on November 06, 2014 at 8:32 am
      We're in South Carolina at the moment. I was excited to find White Lilly flour down here. I'm going to import a bag back to Oregon. I remember David Lee insisting that biscuits could not be made without White Lilly. (Although I wonder how it differs from the soft white wheat grown in Oregon.)

reply by: omaria on November 06, 2014 at 10:48 am
      Livingwell, thank you for looking up that post for the Devonshire cream. And you are right .Have not seen Her Boudoir for a long time. I hope she is o.k..

reply by: nloxford on November 06, 2014 at 11:14 am
      I was wondering if you could use diet 7-up. I'm diabetic and don't do anything with sugar. Also did I read you could freeze the unbaked ones and just pull out the ones you need? Thanks.

reply by: berwynbaker on November 06, 2014 at 11:48 am
      The first time I baked these biscuit, I used diet 7 up since that is what I had in the house. I think they came out just fine but have nothing to compare them too since I only buy diet soda. I freeze the biscuits after baking but see no reason not to freeze first. BB

reply by: frick on November 06, 2014 at 1:01 pm
      How can I say this? Either I am the biggest baking klutz, or the planet has spun off kilter. I made up the 40 ounce batch of the Bisquick biscuits using Shasta soda. They just don't rise and I have been so reluctant to say so. We have eaten the most of them and each time I perform the definition of "insane". That is, expecting a different result from the same actions. And to make matters worse, I had bought a more gigantic box of Bisquick. I just checked the expiration date to be sure I hadn't bought old product, but it says use before Nov. 2015. I can't imagine using Shasta instead of Actual Seven Up could be the difference. Did I wake up on the dark side of the moon?
      I may make a butter or yogurt version for comparison. Cindy, I love you nevertheless.
      Signed, Gun Shy

reply by: Livingwell on November 06, 2014 at 2:58 pm
      You're welcome, Omaria! I haven't made scones since I made them for my friends two years ago. I really have to watch my diet, so having them then was a real treat. Boy, this getting older stuff stinks!

reply by: Mrs Cindy on November 06, 2014 at 10:31 pm
      I'm going to try to answer all these questions with this one post. I'm hoping I don't leave someone out.
      First, yes, you can make these 7-Up biscuits, cut them and freeze the raw dough. They bake from frozen at 400° for 22 minutes. I put a small pat of butter on top of the biscuit before I put them into the preheated oven.
      If you want to make a large pan, use a 9"x13" pan. While the oven preheats, put the pan in the oven with one stick of butter in the pan, let it melt. Before it burns or browns, take the pan out, put the frozen biscuits in the pan so the sides touch, turn them, covering them with butter, then bake. You will be amazed at how buttery good they are!
      Second, Frick, I think it must be the difference in the Shasta soda you used. There is something about the 7-Up that, combined with the sour cream, seems to create the rise you need. Try it again, do not use yogurt. You NEED the sour cream.
      I don't know who gave the link to a recipe on Pinterest, but I haven't checked it out yet. I'll do that now.
      Using diet soda is not a problem. The only reason you might need the sweetened variety is if you needed the sugar to create a rise with yeast. So, go ahead and use diet 7-Up.
      ~Cindy

reply by: Mrs Cindy on November 06, 2014 at 10:44 pm
      Hahaha, robinwaban, I just said something to Frick about NOT using yogurt and suggested adding butter to the pan. Great minds and all that jazz.......
      Although to be honest, the original recipe, which I modified, used butter in the pan. However, the original I found, used sour cream, not yogurt.
      I found using yogurt, even Greek yogurt, made the biscuits heavier than using sour cream.
      There are several different 7-Up biscuit recipes out there. I found no fewer than six, each one with some variation on 7-Up, Bisquick, sour cream, yogurt, butter, and combinations of those ingredients. One thing that didn't change was the 7-Up. One recipe used diet 7-Up, but they all used 7-Up. Not ginger ale, but I THINK that might work. Possibly even Sprite. But, please note, I have not seen any of those used.
      ~Cindy

reply by: Mrs Cindy on November 06, 2014 at 10:49 pm
      Nloxford, I have a convection/microwave oven that preheats in less than 5 minutes. I bake two frozen, unbaked biscuits in the morning. From start to finish is less than 1/2 hour. You could bake these in a small toaster oven also. So, the answer to both of your questions is yes. Freeze them unbaked. Bake from frozen and just do the number of biscuits you want. As few as one biscuit!
      ~Cindy

reply by: Mrs Cindy on November 07, 2014 at 1:18 pm
      I'm going to post this comment to this thread. I want to try to keep all my brain explosions in one place if possible. I told someone, just this week, how this forum forces you to think outside the loaf pan. And it does, even for those of us who have been members for 12-15 years. I think I've tried almost everything, then POOF!!!! There it goes........that perfect melding of brain waves and recipes. The quest for the perfect southern biscuit has been on my mind this year. Last year it was biscotti.
      Well, let's see what I've come up with this time.
      I'm calling these 7-Up Angel Biscuits and 7-Up Angel Scones. I took the basic 7-Up biscuit recipe and added yeast. Tomorrow morning I will bake one biscuit, and one of each of the two scones that are in the freezer. If the yeasty smell of the dough is any indication, I have a winner. So, for the easiest Angel biscuit recipe, read on:
      7-Up Angel Biscuits
      Ingredients:
      1 tbsp Yeast
      Pinch of sugar
      1/4 cup warm milk
      1 1/2 cup sour cream
      12 oz bottle 7-Up
      40 oz box BisQuick
      Directions:
      Warm milk for 20 seconds in microwave and stir in the 1 tablespoon of yeast and pinch of sugar. Allow to proof for 10 minutes.
      While yeast is proofing whisk together the sour cream and 7-Up. Add yeast mix, which should be foamy, and whisk together. Add entire box of BisQuick. Stir, mix and fold together. Dump out onto a floured counter or board pat into a circle about 1/2"-3/4" thick. Cut with a sharp 2" biscuit cutter. Place on parchment lined cookie sheet and freeze for several hours or overnight. When frozen, remove to ZipLoc bag and keep frozen until ready to bake.
      Preheat oven to 400°. Place desired number of biscuits on baking sheet. Put small pat of butter on top of each biscuit. When oven is hot, bake for 21-22 minutes. Enjoy!
      7-Up Angel Scones
      Ingredients:
      1 tbsp Yeast
      Pinch of sugar
      1/4 cup warm milk
      1 1/2 cup sour cream
      12 oz bottle 7-Up
      1 cup white sugar
      40 oz box BisQuick
      Dried diced fruit, such as apricots, peaches, blueberries, cherries. Really any dried fruit you want, or nothing, just make plain scones.
      Sparkling sugar (optional)
      Directions:
      Warm milk for 20 seconds in microwave and stir in the 1 tablespoon of yeast and pinch of sugar. Allow to proof for 10 minutes.
      While yeast is proofing whisk together the sour cream and 7-Up and sugar. Add yeast mix, which should be foamy, and whisk together. Add entire box of BisQuick. Stir, mix and fold together. Dump out onto a floured counter or board. Divide dough with bench knife into two or four equal pieces. However many different kinds of scones you want to make. Knead in approximately 1/2 cup dried, diced fruit to each quarter of dough. Pat into a circle about 1/2"-3/4" thick. Cut into eight wedges. Brush with milk and sprinkle with sparkling sugar, if desired. Place on parchment lined cookie sheet and freeze for several hours or overnight. When frozen, remove to ZipLoc bag and keep frozen until ready to bake.
      Preheat oven to 400°. Place desired number of scones on baking sheet. Put small pat of butter on top of each scone. When oven is hot, bake for 21-22 minutes. Enjoy
      Tomorrow I will bake one of each of these for breakfast and render the final result. I'll let you know!
      ~Cindy

reply by: cwcdesign on November 07, 2014 at 1:21 pm
      So, Cindy, what if all you have is instant yeast? I would assume you'd add it with the mix, but what about the extra liquid?

reply by: Mrs Cindy on November 07, 2014 at 4:41 pm
      The additional liquid is such a small amount, I wouldn't worry about it. I always have to HEAVILY flour my board to prevent the dough from sticking, so leaving out the 1/4 cup of liquid shouldn't affect the dough at all. Go for it! Add the yeast to the top of the BisQuick right before you mix everything together.
      The scones look particularly good. I can't wait until tomorrow morning. A little (or a lot) of Kerry Gold, some clotted cream, some jam........ I'm getting so fat!! Ugh!!!! I really must stop with all these biscuit, biscotti, scone recipes. My waistline expandth right before my eyes! And that's not the only part of my anatomy that is expanding. Good thing I sit all the time and can't see that part.......?
      ~Cindy

reply by: Mrs Cindy on November 08, 2014 at 6:00 am
      Oh.My.Goodness.Gracious.Sakes.Alive!!!! Said as she swoons, face first, into an Apricot 7-Up Angel Scone. I may never eat anything else for breakfast in my life. Contented sigh.......
      ~Cindy

reply by: robinwaban on November 09, 2014 at 5:42 pm
      Oh, Mrs. Cindy! You are too funny! I've never met you but I can just imagine you sitting theresmacking your lips as you sigh. Thanks for the imagery!

reply by: Mike Nolan on November 09, 2014 at 8:08 pm
      I doubt the choice of soda made any difference, because I've seen similar recipes using club soda.

reply by: Mrs Cindy on November 09, 2014 at 9:37 pm
      You might be right, Mike. It probably has more to do with the use of yogurt instead of sour cream, although, to be honest, I don't really know enough about the baking chemistry to know what reacts with what to make everything work correctly. Was that a correct sentence? I've been washing, sorting and packing lemons. I'm just a touch punch-drunk.......
      ~Cindy

reply by: Mrs Cindy on November 09, 2014 at 9:50 pm
      Robinwaban, this prim, proper, Southern lady got on the scales this morning and, lawdy, lawdy, you would not believe the words that escaped my mouth. I had planned to have another scone this fine Sunday morning, just one, you understand. But.......after that encounter with the dreaded scales, I decided I had better starve myself for the next few weeks.
      Most women judge their weight by a favorite pair of pants. I judge my weight by how hard it is to get out of my wheelchair. When it sticks to my derrière, I know I have a problem. I might be wearing my wheelchair in a most unbecoming manner for quite some time.
      Imagine me smacking my lips as I attempt to pry myself from this now too tight wheelchair!
      But, I will admit, those scones and the attendant 7-Up Angel Biscuits were certainly good. Better than good, EXCELLENT!!!!
      ~Cindy

reply by: Livingwell on November 09, 2014 at 9:55 pm
      Hahaha, Cindy! Himself says our scale groans when he gets on and says, "One at a time, one at a time!"

reply by: dachshundlady on November 11, 2014 at 7:48 am
      Cindy, when my back hurts as I get out of bed in the morning, I know I have hit the tipping point. Despite all the recent outdoor activities at field trials, I guess I have eaten more than I've expended. On Saturday night we had a full Thanksgiving dinner at the Ohio FT. It was wonderful and I ate like a pig since I had spent 9 hours out in the field, beating the brush and doing the "high step" to get thru the brambles, briars and wild rose bushes. Now I am existing on apples, cheese, protein bars, crudités and HB eggs. My poor, poor husband . . .

reply by: Mrs Cindy on November 11, 2014 at 5:59 pm
      That scale is leaving out one word. It should be, "One FOOT at a time! One FOOT at a time!" If he only puts one foot on the scale at a time, both he and the scale will be happier. Trust me on this. I've tried it and it works nicely.
      Stand with one foot on the scale and one foot on the floor. Then, by ever so slightly leaning one way or the other, you can achieve an acceptable weight. Cheating? Maybe. But, when someone (and you know who that someone might be) asks if you weighed this morning, you can smile proudly and say, without lying, "Why, yes, I did! And my weight is more than acceptable! Thank you for asking!" ?
      Are you laughing yet?
      ~Cindy

reply by: robinwaban on November 11, 2014 at 6:05 pm
      Haha. I recall a question on a math test when I was 10 years old. "If you weigh 50 pounds and stood on a scale with one foot, how much would you weigh?" I said 25 pounds. Tell me why that doesn't work? It sounds right!

reply by: Mrs Cindy on November 11, 2014 at 6:12 pm
      OMGoodness! That sounds like a balanced diet. Oh, no, D-Lady, you can't exist on something that good for you. You must splurge! I think your Thanksgiving dinner was an excellent idea. You worked hard all day long. You EARNED that dinner. Pig or no pig! I'll bet you just didn't drink enough water. That's it! The water!!
      You were out in the bush and brambles. Forgive me for being so indelicate in mixed company, but I'm guessing you didn't drink much water during the day for lack of proper 'facilities'. Right?? THAT was the reason for the sudden weight gain. Had you had the proper facilities, you would have been drinking water, or some other beverage, all day long. Since you were unable to use said facilities, you severely limited your liquid consumption. Shame on you! You know better.
      Now, stop eating the rabbit food. I've diagnosed the problem. Drink more water. The weight will fall off. Go back to eating something good for you......like scones, biscuits, bread......you know, the stuff we talk about incessantly here on the circle.....?????don't forget that glass of celebratory wine. The pups earned it!
      ~Cindy

reply by: Livingwell on November 11, 2014 at 7:29 pm
      Hahaha! I always take off as many things as possible when getting weighed at the doctor's office - coat, shoes, purse - and do the leaning trick to get the lowest number possible. The nurse always wants to write down the first (and highest) number that pops up and I have to make her wait for the numbers to "settle down" a bit. When they do, she asks, "Can I write that down?" Yes, *that* you can write down.
      Robin, that sounds like one of those math word problems about two trains leaving different stations at the same time, going the same speed, etc., etc., etc., and asking how long it will take them to meet. Those problems make absolutely no sense to me! My answer was always I don't care because I'm not on either train! A few years ago, himself found this "math problem" online and it makes about as much sense to me as the train problem. We both laughed ourselves silly because it's me!
      If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 apples, how many pancakes will fit on the roof? Answer: Purple because aliens don't wear hats!
      See? No sense.

reply by: cwcdesign on November 11, 2014 at 9:38 pm
      lw - makes sense to me 🙂 I love it!

reply by: Mrs Cindy on November 11, 2014 at 10:11 pm
      Excuse me, Penelope, what part of that problem did you not understand? Everyone knows the answer is purple! Makes perfect sense to me!!
      ~Cindy

reply by: robinwaban on November 11, 2014 at 10:16 pm
      When I was pregnant I always wore the same dress to my doctor's visit. He must have thought I was poor and had no other clothes. Are you crazy? I just don't want any variables to make me weigh more! BTW, I hated those train questions. I have never had to worry about someone going in the opposite direction getting to wherever faster than me. Who cares is right!

reply by: Mike Nolan on November 11, 2014 at 10:19 pm
      I'm reminded of the scenes with Salvador Dali in Woody Allen's award-winning movie, "Midnight in Paris".
      #
      I see........a rhinoceros!

reply by: dachshundlady on November 12, 2014 at 2:16 am
      Cindy, I ate a real meal last evening. Venison pot roast, mash potatoes, gravy, butternut squash and roasted Jerusalem artichokes. Small Peppermint Patty(my weakness) for dessert.

reply by: Livingwell on November 12, 2014 at 6:03 am
      If that problem made sense to all of you, you are math geniuses - LOL!!
      DLady, your dinner sounds delicious, like the review I read somewhere: How did it taste? It tasted like 'more'.

reply by: dachshundlady on November 12, 2014 at 6:21 am
      It tasted great but we had never had Jerusalem artichokes before. Our neighbor sent a bunch home with DH. Never again. We both "ended" up with painful gastric issues and I had to run to the bathroom during the night. I googled them this morning and they are notorious for being gassy. They put beans and cabbage to shame. So beware of neighbors bearing Jerusalem "fartichokes" as they are called.

reply by: Livingwell on November 12, 2014 at 7:59 pm
      I've never had an artichoke, but will steer clear of them if they cause "issues". Hope you're better today!

reply by: chiara on November 12, 2014 at 10:44 pm
      I have never had Jerusalem artichokes. Thought I wanted to. The older I get, the less I am able to tolerate cabbage, beans, Brussels sprouts and even broccoli. So Jerusalem artichokes are off the list. Do regular artichokes cause similar distress? (I haven't had them in years but used to love them.)

reply by: Mike Nolan on November 12, 2014 at 11:16 pm
      I've never heard of gastric problems from globe artichokes, nor have I ever experienced them when eating artichokes. In fact, they may have some positive impact on the beneficial bacteria in the digestive tract.
      #
      They've long been reputed to be an aphrodisiac, although I don't know of any formal studies of that. They also stimulate the taste buds in the tongue, enhancing and sometimes altering the taste of the foods you eat with them. (That's one reason why many cookbooks recommend not serving them when you're serving wine.)

reply by: dachshundlady on November 13, 2014 at 8:32 am
      They are not actually artichokes but a relative of the sunflower. They have a high amount of a substance called inulin which is the culprit.

http://www.bonappetit.com/columns/the-foodist/article/do-jerusalem-artic...

reply by: cwcdesign on November 13, 2014 at 8:48 am
      They're also known as sunchokes which must come from the sunflower relationship.
      -
      As for regular artichokes not mixing with other foods, when I was a kid, we'd have artichokes when they were available. I'd have to finish my milk before I ate mine or it would have a terrible tinny, sweet taste and I'd STILL have to finish it (house rules).

reply by: Mrs Cindy on November 14, 2014 at 7:48 pm
      This just cracks me up! From 'The Quest For A True Southern Biscuit' to 'Fartichokes'. How to get from one end to another in 10 easy steps.....?
      ~Cindy

reply by: dachshundlady on November 15, 2014 at 7:07 am
      Hahaha, that's the beauty of the Baking Circle!

reply by: Mrs Cindy on November 23, 2014 at 7:04 am
      I wanted to try out Mike's theory that all this recipe needed was a carbonated soda to make it work.........nah, in truth I had a couple of bottles of Sprite I wanted to use up (and no 7-Up), so I made Angel 7-Up biscuits yesterday. I used the big box of BisQuick (96 oz) I had purchased from Costco, 1 1/2 bottles of the Sprite (16 oz bottles) and, eyeballing, 3/4 of the container (3 lbs) of sour cream. I also added 2 tablespoons of yeast to 1/2 cup of lukewarms water to get puffy and added it with the BisQuick. The dough was nice and workable, patted out nicely. I cut them into squares for no waste and easier cutting. Three pans went in the freezer last night.
      This morning 2 biscuits baked nicely, rose beautifully, were a lovely golden brown, split down the middle perfectly and looked nice on the inside. The taste, however, leaves something to be desired. They seem, to me, to be dry and crumbly. The overall taste is fine. But the last ones were fluffy, moist, to the bite. These leave you needing a swallow of coffee, tea, of something to wash it down. There was no 'off' taste from the Sprite due to the lack of 7-Up, but when I added the Sprite it didn't bubble and foam like the 7-Up did, nor did it react as vigorously when I whisked the liquids together.
      Now, in all honesty, I must admit to extenuating circumstances. Yesterday I had what I'll call a 'mini-exacerbation'. They were minutes away from calling 911 and hauling my sorry, half dead, derrière to the ER, when I put my foot down (figuratively speaking) and said "No!". What brought it on? We think I was severely dehydrated. I've been drinking lots of water, since then, and felt much better by yesterday afternoon. Well enough to make between 4-6 dozen biscuits! But the residual effects of the dehydration could still be lingering.
      So, that could have a huge effect on my analysis of these biscuits this morning. I'll do the same taste-test tomorrow morning (oh, the sacrifices we make for our fellow countrymen/women) and see if they are still so dry.
      But, in the main, it is as Mike said, almost any clear soda will work with the 7-Up Biscuits recipe. Such a good, easy recipe.
      I'll re-post tomorrow to give the final results.
      ~Cindy

reply by: Livingwell on November 23, 2014 at 8:19 am
      MrsCindy, I hope you're feeling MUCH better today! Please take good care of you!!!

reply by: weedsnstitches on November 23, 2014 at 7:25 pm
      Oh no....I hope you are all recovered from being dehydrated. And I hope you have a much better experience with tomorrow's biscuit tasting. I'm really curious how whether any clear soda works.

reply by: Mrs Cindy on November 24, 2014 at 6:41 am
      It is now 5:00 and I've been up for an hour, had my coffee and made and eaten those first few bites of my biscuit. Here's the report. The biscuit still tastes dry to me. This cannot be as a result of using Sprite instead of 7-Up. No way the type of soda could have that effect. I really think it's me.
      I cut open the biscuits using a fork, much like you would cut Angel Food cake. I wanted to see the interior without the crushing effect of a knife. The inside was beautifully textured. Very fine crumb, and the tiny bit I pinched between my fingers held together, it wasn't crumbly or dry, it felt moist. I think the biscuit is moist, but my tasters aren't back to normal yet.
      This biscuit is so pretty. I wish you could see and smell it, but I seem to be unable to do the simple things everyone else does........I can't seem to post pictures. So, let me describe. The smell of yeast hits you as you slice the biscuit open. Just that tiny hint, nothing overpowering, but very nice. It makes your salivary glands tingle. I cut the dough in squares. You can see the striations, the layers, so you know when you bake them, they are going to rise, and they do, soaring up evenly all around, no lopsidedness and golden brown. The only weird thing it does is the very top center, instead of laying flat, pops up, like a little volcano, right in the center.
      You know how most biscuits are flat on top? These weren't. At first I was worried/upset about it. I wanted the perfect biscuit! It needed to look perfect, too. What was wrong? Then it dawned on me. I was baking them from the frozen state. The outside edges rose with the high heat (400°F) and set, before the center could finish cooking. There was nowhere else for the center rise to go but up, just like Vesuvious! And, because of that little pat of butter I put on the top before baking, that was also the softest spot.
      But, will I make these again? Yes, yes, a thousand times YES! I have enough biscuits now in the freezer, either for my breakfast, his breakfast, or to share. But this is an easy, quick, devious way to make biscuits.
      This recipe doesn't need 7-Up. It might have started out that way and became a cute, catchy name for it, but any 'sparkling' soda will work. Like Mike said, he had seen the recipe using club soda.
      To close this chapter on the search for the perfect Southern biscuit. Did I find it? Yes. It is our plain old stand-by. The one we know. Flour, salt, shortening, buttermilk. Just like grandmother, great grandmother and further back than that, used to make. Along the way I found a new, modern, version of a wonderful old tradition. I found the 7-Up Angel Biscuit. Times they are a'changing. But all for the good. What would those great ladies from our past be thinking now. 7-Up? In BISCUITS?
      ~Cindy

reply by: dachshundlady on November 24, 2014 at 6:50 am
      Glad you are feeling better. And on the biscuit subject, when I made them I had no sweetened soda, only lemon lime seltzer. I googled to find how much sugar is in that much 7UP and added the sugar to the bowl. They turned out fine, no, better than fine!

reply by: Mrs Cindy on November 24, 2014 at 7:17 am
      Sugar! Of course. I didn't think about the sugar in the flavored soda. So, how much did you add to the 40 ounce box?
      ~Cindy

reply by: Livingwell on November 24, 2014 at 7:23 am
      I'm glad to hear you're feeling better, MrsCindy!

reply by: frick on November 24, 2014 at 11:57 am
      So, do I. If there are any good fairies around, please let them to go Cindy's abode in the beautiful state of Texas. When I used Sprite, and let DH stir it into the sour cream. I'll confess, we tossed out the last of the frozen biscuits, so sorely disappointed we were. The next time, I will use the real thing. No, no. Not Coke. Real 7-Up. I promise. But not this week. Too many other irons in the fire. Meanwhile, drink lots of everything. Well, maybe not moonshine.
      Moonshine Biscuits. Now THAT's an idea.

reply by: dachshundlady on November 24, 2014 at 9:05 pm
      I added about 2.5 Tablespoons of sugar

reply by: Mrs Cindy on November 26, 2014 at 4:05 pm
      Thank you!
      ~Cindy

reply by: dachshundlady on November 27, 2014 at 8:10 am
      I just used the last four of the frozen biscuits last night with oven baked fish, homemade tartar sauce (dill relish, green olives, capers, lemon juice and hot sauce) and a salad. The biscuits were still great. Topped one biscuit with your microwave lemon curd.

reply by: Mrs Cindy on November 27, 2014 at 8:43 am
      Yum, that sounds so good. Isn't that lemon curd the best? It is the KAF Easy Microwave Lemon Curd, with the slight modification of using Meyer lemons. The type of lemon makes such a difference with lemon curd. I'm glad you liked it. When we travel, and at home, I have a tub in the fridge at all times. Matter of fact, it's on my morning biscuit right now!
      ~Cindy

reply by: luvpyrpom on November 27, 2014 at 8:45 am
      When I was younger, my friends and I had blind taste test between 7-Up, Sprite, Coke, Pepsi, A&W Root Beer, MUG Root Beer. What I've noticed is that Coke, 7-Up, and MUG Root Beer had more carbonation in them and the others were more sweeter. Maybe, Frick, that's why your biscuits didn't turn out?

reply by: cwcdesign on January 25, 2015 at 9:39 am
      Cindy, did you see the blog post on KAF today?

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/2015/01/25/king-vs-international-bis...
      -
      I'm on my way back to finish reading it.

reply by: Mrs Cindy on January 25, 2015 at 10:32 am
      Just finished reading the whole thing. And you know something? I agree 100%, there can be no clear cut winner with a hot, fresh biscuit, straight from the oven, slathered in butter (or topped with bacon)! They are ALL winners.
      I think, though, just in the spirit of fairness, I must try Doris' biscuit recipe. She might be on to something. I didn't realize buttermilk slowed the development of the gluten, but it makes sense. So, I'll have to give her biscuits a try. I happen to have all the ingredients..........
      So, next week, when bakeraunt asks her question about what did I bake for the week of 1/25/15, I can report back on the biscuit challenge......
      Thanks, cwcdesign, for the heads up!
      ~Cindy
      p.s. My darling grandson will also be the beneficiary of some more breakfast treats!
      ~C

reply by: frick on January 26, 2015 at 1:23 pm
      I can't wait. That looks like a contender!

reply by: Mrs Cindy on January 26, 2015 at 3:59 pm
      More biscuits! I get fatter by the second around here......
      ~Cindy

reply by: dachshundlady on January 27, 2015 at 8:03 am
      That throw down was fun. But I would like to try shaping them as Doris described her mother did. Pinching off pieces and forming into rounds. Less clean up!

reply by: Antilope on January 27, 2015 at 9:15 am
      The type and brand of baking powder used is also very important in biscuits. Here is a really good test and review of baking powders used in biscuit making at The Fresh Loaf. Turns out Argo Baking Powder seems to be one of the best when it comes to rise and the taste of the biscuits. Argo Baking Powder contains no aluminum, so no metallic aftertaste.
      Baking Powder Test and Review for Biscuit Making
      http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/12997/baking-powder
      Sam's Club carries Argo Baking Powder. A 60-oz (3.75-Lb - 1.7-kg) container is $ 5.78.
      Walmart carries 12 oz containers.
      http://www.walmart.com/ip/Argo-Double-Acting-Baking-Powder-12-oz/10789500
      http://www.argostarch.com/products.html
      The other close winner was Original Bakewell Cream (KAF sells it).
      http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/original-bakewell-cream-8-oz
      reply by: bakeraunt on January 27, 2015 at 9:46 am
      I use the original Bakewell Cream--only for biscuits.

reply by: Livingwell on January 27, 2015 at 10:44 am
      DLady, *there* you are! I haven't "seen" you lately and was starting to worry. I hope you're safe and sound from the storm!
      Antilope, I use the Argo aluminum-free baking powder and like it very much. Because it gets so many rave reviews, I keep thinking I need to try the Creamwell, but hate to mess with success. The biscuits rolled from the scraps sometimes lean to the side a little, but are otherwise good and fluffy; especially since I started using the tip found in another biscuit thread of using half all-purpose flour and half cake flour.

reply by: dachshundlady on January 27, 2015 at 2:34 pm
      LW, I was at an agility trial all weekend so didn't check in much. My boys were perfect for the weekend.
      Since you can make cake flour by subbing some cornstarch you could also just use cornstarch in the recipe. I've seen such recipes.

reply by: Livingwell on January 27, 2015 at 3:00 pm
      DLady, I'm glad you're OK, just busy. We have so many members that aren't feeling up to snuff or are suffering from injuries that I thought something might have happened to you!
      I've heard of making a sub for cake flour using cornstarch and all-purpose flour, but have never tried it. Since King Arthur discontinued their cake flour, I buy either Swans Down or SoftasSilk for the few times I use it in cakes. Now that I know it can be used in biscuits, too, I have another use for it, so it doesn't seem like such a specialty item.

reply by: Mrs Cindy on January 27, 2015 at 6:53 pm
      The problem with pinching off pieces and forming rounds is that you don't get that great rise from the sharply cut edges. Maybe putting them close enough together so they touch would help, but I love watching the rise from the edges.
      ~Cindy

reply by: Antilope on January 27, 2015 at 7:00 pm
      You can use the half ap flour / half cake flour for many baking recipes that benefit from lower gluten like pancakes, waffles, muffins, quick breads, etc. Any recipe that uses flour and warns to not stir too much to avoid forming gluten will benefit from this technique.

reply by: Mrs Cindy on January 28, 2015 at 12:22 pm
      I made the dough for Doris' biscuits this morning. Lovely dough to work with, relatively easy to put together, all the ingredients in the pantry/fridge. Of course, it only makes 8 biscuits, instead of the 40 I'm used to making, so I wasn't handling too much mass and that made it quick and easy.
      I patted the dough into a rectangle, cut it into eight square biscuits with my bench knife and put them in the freezer. I'll bake one in the morning and report back on the flavor.
      But, I know one thing already. This is the quintessential TRUE SOUTHERN BISCUIT. No question about it. Butter, Crisco and buttermilk. There is nothing more Southern than those three ingredients. I know I'm going to enjoy eating my breakfast for the next week!
      Thanks to Doris for her unflagging research in perfecting this recipe AND for subsequently sharing it with KAF. And to KAF for sharing with us and throwing down the gauntlet. Challenge accepted!
      ~Cindy

reply by: Mrs Cindy on January 28, 2015 at 12:26 pm
      I used Bakewell Cream Baking Powder for Doris' biscuits this morning. It's all I ever use in baking. I've never been disappointed.
      ~Cindy

reply by: Livingwell on January 28, 2015 at 1:30 pm
      Antilope, I didn't know that about using the all-purpose/cake flour combo in pancakes, muffins, and quick breads. I will have to try it one of them and see how it works for me. Thanks for the info!
      MrsCindy, the biscuits sound better from your description than they do from the blog! Boy, nice hot biscuits dripping with butter sound good right now. Pardon me while I slobber.

reply by: Mrs Cindy on January 29, 2015 at 1:39 pm
      I baked one of Doris' biscuits for breakfast this morning. It was like I knew it would be. The perfect true southern biscuit! Light, moist, full of flavor. Just perfect in every way. A little bit time consuming with cutting in the butter and Crisco and it only made 8 biscuits. But well worth the time and trouble.
      Now, will it replace my quick, easy, huge amount, 7-Up recipe? No, not when I want to put a bunch of biscuits in the freezer quickly for my breakfasts. For company dinners or breakfast, yes. This will be my go to recipe from now on.
      For those of you still sitting on the fence about trying this recipe, get off! It is great!!!
      Doris, you rock!!! Thank you!
      ~Cindy

reply by: dachshundlady on March 19, 2015 at 6:42 pm
      Cindy, I made the 7 Up Biscuits again tonite. I did a half recipe with the 20 oz box of Bisquik. The only thing I changed was to put 1/3 cup melted butter in my 9 X 13 before I put in the biscuits. AND under a few of them I put brown sugar and pecans in the butter. YUM YUM. If you make a bunch fresh, try this with a few.

reply by: Mrs Cindy on March 19, 2015 at 9:00 pm
      Oh, that sounds wonderful! Maybe tomorrow morning I can take some of the over 4 dozen I made on Monday and turn them into pecan biscuits. What a great idea! Thanks!
      ~Cindy

reply by: kathyd on March 19, 2015 at 9:32 pm
      These sound delicous. When you freeze them do you bake them from frozen? I assume you would add a few extra minutes to the baking time.

reply by: Mrs Cindy on March 20, 2015 at 3:37 am
      DLady, I now understand why and how you place so well with your pups and shows. That sweet, little smile is quite deceptive. It hides an evil streak a mile wide. Yes, indeedy, it surely does!
      I drifted off to nighty-night land, pondering the size and shape of pans that would comfortably hold my two biscuits with butter, brown sugar, chopped pecans and cinnamon. I had a plan. I woke this morning, AT 2:00 a.m. and in no time at all had my breakfast in the oven. AT 2:00IN THE FREAKING, DANG BLASTED MORNING, MIND YOU!!! I was even being extra good. I checked my blood sugar. Now, that's a laugh, isn't it.........
      They are baking right this minute. I'll report shortly from my diabetic coma..........
      Yes, KathyD, I bake them from frozen. But I only do two biscuits, so I don't really add any time. 375° for 22 minutes. But with the addition of the pecans and 'stuff' I'm adding 2-3 minutes to be extra sure the middles are done.
      ~Cindy

reply by: Mrs Cindy on March 20, 2015 at 3:43 am
      Yuuuum, yummmmmm, Nom, nom, nom, nummmmm .......zzzzz,,,,,num, nuuuuuummmmmm zzzzzzzz
      ~C

reply by: Mrs Cindy on March 20, 2015 at 4:05 am
      There is nothing better for you than starting your day off with a good, HEALTHY, breakfast. That first hot, scorching, sip of black coffee. That first hot, buttered, slathered in sugar, bite of biscuit. No, nothing better to begin your day.
      I know this because I've read huge tomes of information, published by our very own government (and who would know better?) about the benefits of good nutrition for our children. It's no wonder none of my teacher friends will talk to me any more. Caffeinated and on a sugar high! Quick! On the bus. Off you go! Let someone else have you until it wears off! This is what I should have been feeding my children all those many, many years ago. They left my house in the morning with nary a spare ounce of energy. Had i but known of DLady's twist on biscuits (but, Mz. Smith, all I had was a biscuit for breakfast, honest!) my children would have been at the top of their game from the instant they hit the school door.
      Shame on her for hiding this for so long.
      ~Cindy

p.s., it's also a very good thing to begin your day with a laugh. Even if it's at someone else's expense. Laugh away, friends, laugh away......
      ~C

reply by: kathyd on March 20, 2015 at 7:26 am
      Mrs Cindy do you always get up at 2 am or where those biscuits yelling to you from the freezer? Gee at that time of day nobody would know you had baked biscuits, ate them and went back to bed! They sound delicious. Here I sit at work thinking if I only had a warm biscuit...they are my downfall. I cannot pass up a biscuit and I have the hips to prove it.
      I now have all the items on my shopping list for biscuits. I will probably bake them all at once. Cool them and split them and fill them with ham, egg and cheese and then freeze them for my husband and son to have for breakfast in the morning. I myself will stick with the oatmeal.
      I hope those biscuits give you the energy to conquer the world today!
      Hugs,
      KathyD
      PS: So glad I am not a teacher in your area! ;D

reply by: dachshundlady on March 20, 2015 at 7:33 am
      Haha, Cindy, you started my day with a big ole smile! Glad you like them. And as kids we always had cold cereal and milk for breakfast. Later, when Dad made enough so Mom didn't have to work, she always made us great things like French toast and bacon. Now THAT sticks to your ribs, fat and sugar!
      If you want a reallllly good decadent morning twist on biscuits, check my posted recipe for Tick Tock Rolls from a Hollywood restaurant who was in business for over 50 years. And I can see why! These are my favorite sweet rolls of any kind; even more than yeast ones.

[The recipe is posted on this site with Dachshundlady's name on it.]

reply by: Mrs Cindy on March 20, 2015 at 10:13 pm
      Oh, yes, drool! Got it! Now to make it........ Off to the store first thing in the morning......
      ~Cindy

reply by: Mrs Cindy on March 20, 2015 at 10:21 pm
      Well, Kathy, those biscuits were definitely calling, but I'm usually up between 2:00-3:00 in the morning. The pain gets so bad and my spine is so twisted, that staying in bed is hard. I get up and take my pain meds, but, then I'm up and..........so, I just stay up, make my first pot of coffee. By then, the day has started......
      You should put a few unbaked biscuits in the freezer just for you. Then just bake one or two first thing in the morning. Nothing like a hot, fresh biscuit right out of bed with that first hot sip of coffee. Really, Kathy, why should the men have all the good stuff?
      Besides, I can have a very small bowl of steel cut oatmeal and one biscuit. Then I can be virtuous (the oatmeal) and a little bit frivolous (the biscuit). Like my reasoning?
      ~Cindy

reply by: cwcdesign on March 21, 2015 at 7:51 am
      I made biscuits on Sunday, put them in the freezer and I just took my first two out. Well, the first thing I realized was that I forgot to butter the tops before I put them in so they didn't brown very much and the sides didn't pop up. But, they are very tender and I'm happy.
      -
      kathyd, when you make egg, ham and cheese biscuits to put in the freezer how do you cook your eggs? I once tried make bagel sandwiches the night before and reheating them, but the eggs never really worked, so when my boys were in school, I made fresh breakfast sandwiches every day for the car ride. I got it down to a science by making a one egg omelet and putting the cheese inside.
      -
      edit: I may have undercooked them a tad. When do you know biscuits are "done?"

reply by: kathyd on March 21, 2015 at 3:12 pm
      Cwcdesign,
      I have done it many times. Most of the time I toast English muffins and butter them. I bake a dozen eggs in a greased muffin pan and fry up some breakfast sausage patties. I assembled them and wrap in foil and freeze. I also did this very successfully with flour tortillas as well. The boys would take them out of the freezer and wrap them in paper towel and toss in the microwave for a minute or two.
      With the biscuits I would cook my eggs and make the sandwich and freeze. I saw Michael Simon cook eggs on the Chew. He used a non stick pan, added a bit of butter and then set large rings of onion down in the pan. Then he cracked an egg in each ring and cooked until set. He removed the onion before flipping the egg. He did not use the onion in his recipe.
      Mrs Cindy the problem with biscuits are I LOVE them and I have an issue stopping at one. I will make them and try them but as Cookie Monster once said....they are a sometimes food! 😀
      KathyD

reply by: Mrs Cindy on March 22, 2015 at 8:08 am
      Kathy, I have the same problem. I can't stop at one. I've been know to cook one.........then another..........then another. I know better, but can't seem to help myself. I love biscuits. Plain, slathered in butter, lemon curd, sprinkled with cinnamon sugar, jam, jelly, plain, plain, plain......did I mention plain?
      Yeah, biscuits and I have a love/hate relationship. I love them, they love me. The hate part comes in when I try to fit into the very stretchy pants I could wear yesterday, but all those PLAIN biscuits seem to have settled in and around my derrière and those stretchy pants don't seem to stretch that far. How did that happen? I didn't add any extra stuff to them. They were just plain biscuits. Not fair......
      Other people don't seem to have this problem. It must have something to do with sitting in the wheelchair. THAT'S IT!! It's the wheelchairs fault! Everything I eat settles right there on the 'sit down' part of my body. It, those lovely, no-calorie, biscuits, once eaten, have nowhere to go. They filter down to that heretofore unmentionable portion and just sit there. Yes, it's the fault of the wheelchair. I KNEW this contraption was up to no good. Should have known. Well, now that I know what is at fault, how to fix it? Huuuummmm. I may have to contemplate on this conundrum over a biscuit. Now, butter? lemon curd? jam? cinnamon sugar?.........
      ~Cindy

reply by: dachshundlady on March 22, 2015 at 9:36 am
      I think you have hit upon something Cindy. But be warned, do NOT try the Tick Tock Rolls in my recipes. I cannot leave them alone and they are still good the next day.

reply by: Mrs Cindy on March 22, 2015 at 9:58 am
      Oh, darn.......I've already put those in my recipe file. Was going to try them this week. I'm not very strong right now, but as soon as I felt up to it, those Tick Tock rolls were on the list. You don't suppose the wheelchair would create problems with those, TOO? I was hoping it was just the biscuits. Certainly the Tick Tocks would be a better choice. Don't you think??
      ~Cindy, who might starve without some sort of roll or biscuit (yeah, right.......)

reply by: kathyd on March 22, 2015 at 2:29 pm
      I made the biscuits. The two I ate warm with butter were delicous! Well, it might have been 3 but I don't think it was 4 biscuits. I can almost feel them settling in the hips now! Who needs a wheelchair!

reply by: dachshundlady on March 22, 2015 at 2:57 pm
      Well, rest up for the next recipe. The clock is tick tocking.

reply by: Mrs Cindy on March 23, 2015 at 4:50 am
      KATHY, don't say that! It HAS to be the wheelchair. That's the only excuse I have!
      I've been trying very hard not to eat too much or too unhealthy this weekend. I've been pretty good, but it hasn't helped much. I still feel crummy. I'm noticeably weaker than I was last week. It's really frustrating not to be able to pinpoint the cause. I'm checking my blood sugar on a regular basis, trying to find a cause and effect. No such luck. I think I must be in a full blown exacerbation. DRAT!!!!
      I had such great plans for the weekend. There is a new (small, very small) chocolate cake recipe I want to try. It has WWW flour in it. It looks wonderful. I'll leave off the ganache-type sour cream/chocolate chip frosting and just make the 'bread' part. 'Bread' is what my Goddaughter used to call the cake portion of a frosted cake. She was only 3 years old. She was doing her best to tell me the part of the cake she liked the best when, with hands on hips, she burst out with, "You know! The BREAD part!" It's been bread ever since.
      I had so many plans for my two days with transportation and a semi-strong back to take me places. It just didn't happen. I've spent the entire weekend sitting, with my feet up, trying to get comfortable. I'm hoping for a better week now that I've rested. Only 2 more weeks until I see the endocrinologist. I'm hoping all of these problems are linked. The goiter, thyroid, diabetes, MS, heart problems. If we can just take care of a couple of them, the rest will fall into place. Anyhow, that's the hope.
      So, Kathy, don't take away my excuse for my problems. For the time being, the wheelchair is the root of all my evils. When those biscuits (drool?) go to my hips........the wheelchair is the devil.
      Glad you're indulging. It means I'm not alone......
      .~Cindy

reply by: buttercup on March 23, 2015 at 6:50 am
      Good morning Cindy, I hope you're feeling better. You are such positive person, I love reading your posts and you have such a good sense of humor, I love it. Everyone I talk to in the last few weeks is complaining about the same thing, feeling tired. I don't know if it's old age, the weather or what. I'm going with the weather. I hope you have a good week.

reply by: berwynbaker on March 23, 2015 at 8:00 am
      MrsCindy, of course, it is the wheelchair!!!! That is the only reason my son is as heavy as he is. He can do some walking but has problems with his hips so if we are going to walking a lot into the chair he goes. He also has panic attacks in crowded places so the chair gives him a sense of security and the panic attacks do not happen. Most people will give a wheelchair a little extra room, no one wants their foot ACCIDENTLY run over. BB

reply by: Mrs Cindy on March 23, 2015 at 7:05 pm
      ACCIDENTLY....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, oh, sorry, I didn't mean to laugh. I would never run over someone's foot on purpose......unless of course, they were being a horses patootie! But, yes, you're right, the wheelchair does give you a sense of security.
      My only problem with the wheelchair is being below everyone's line of sight. For your son, I can see how it is a benefit. People don't make eye contact with him. They don't see him and being ignored helps with his panic attacks. He isn't challenged.
      For me, on the other hand, being ignored frustrates me. I want people to see me, make eye contact, talk to ME. I really hate when people ask The Saint what I want. Like, "What does she want to eat?" I'm right here. I can make my own choices, thank you very much!
      But, the wheelchair is to blame for my weight gain. I can't execise. I have PT twice a week and she works me hard, but not enough to burn any calories. I hate weighing this much. Maybe the endocrinologist will be able to come up with something I can do.
      ~Cindy

reply by: Rascals1 on March 24, 2015 at 3:42 am
      Thinking of Mrs. Cindy this morning after waking at 2 am, yes made biscuits and eating one. Just couldnt help but think of her 2 am biscuit. Good morning Cindy.

reply by: Mrs Cindy on March 24, 2015 at 5:07 am
      It is now 4:00 am. I've been up since 3. Already had my 2 biscuits. Thanks for joining me for our early morning breakfast. I enjoyed it immensely!
      ~Cindy

reply by: dachshundlady on March 24, 2015 at 8:07 am
      Darn, I awoke at 1 and didn't get to sleep til 4. I should have just arose and made myself a biscuit too!

reply by: Mrs Cindy on March 24, 2015 at 3:20 pm
      There is still tomorrow morning. Join us in our breakfasting.......
      ~Cindy

reply by: buttercup on March 29, 2015 at 2:14 pm
      Cindy, I just put your 7-up angel biscuits in the freezer. Do you cover them when you freeze them on the pan. If anyone knows the answer PLEASE let me know asap. Thanks

reply by: Mrs Cindy on March 31, 2015 at 3:52 pm
      Sorry, buttercup, I'm just now seeing this. No, I don't cover them to freeze them. After freezing them do not put all of them in one large ZipLoc. Put them in smaller ZipLocs then put the small bags in a large ZipLoc.
      The reason? I found that every time I opened the big bag to get two or three biscuits out, I was letting air in and moisture out. By the time I got to the last 6-8 biscuits, they didn't rise as well and the bottom crusts were very hard to cut.
      Hope this reached you in time!
      ~Cindy

reply by: buttercup on March 31, 2015 at 4:10 pm
      Hi Cindy, no problem. I didn't cover them and they were frozen in a few hours. I divided them between 2 bags. I'll use smaller bags next time. Hope you're feeling better. Thanks for your respond. 🙂

reply by: Mrs Cindy on April 01, 2015 at 5:32 am
      Buttercup, take the biscuits from one bag and divide them into a bunch of smaller, individual bags, then put all those smaller bags back in your big bag. You will thank me later. By the time you bake off all those biscuits, they will be hard and dry if you don't do this. Trust me! I threw away the last four biscuits. It broke m heart!
      I put two biscuits in each small bag. Perfect for me for breakfast. When I take them out, I put the empty bag back in the big bag. That way when I make them again, I have all my ZipLoc bags ready, in one place, to fill again with two biscuits. If you want three or four biscuits, do the amount that works for you.
      If you do this now, you will thank me later.
      ~Cindy

reply by: buttercup on April 01, 2015 at 8:13 am
      Ok Cindy, just moved them in to smaller bags and put them in the larger bag. Thanks for caring

reply by: Mrs Cindy on April 01, 2015 at 9:24 pm
      You're welcome. I just want to be sure those biscuits (that you spent so much time on) stay good to the very last bite!
      ~Cindy

reply by: BonnieInBama on April 19, 2015 at 3:03 am
      Hi, Cindy. I'm new to the KAF site, and just happened to stumble onto your post. I hope you won't mind me tossing in my 2 cents worth. The yeast biscuits you referred to are known as Angel Biscuits, and they are a much loved Southern specialty. When I was a young girl, Angel biscuits were quite the 'in' thing for covered dish dinners, holiday meals and other special occasions, as opposed to the more common buttermilk or sweet milk biscuits. Although I don't know the history behind them, they are a hybrid bread, a combination of Southern biscuits and yeast rolls.

Because of the time they require, most ladies don't make them very often anymore. In fact, I'm sorry to say that good old homemade buttermilk biscuits are becoming as rare as hen's teeth. But, I digress. One thing that caught my eye in your post is that you mention the overnight proofing for Angel biscuits. I don't recall having seen that step in the recipes I've used for them. Either way, I hope you'll give them a try from to time, and just for a few minutes, forget your waistline, or in my case, lack thereof, and enjoy yourself some good eatin'! If I can be of help in any way, please don't hesitate to give a shout. 🙂

reply by: Mrs Cindy on April 19, 2015 at 5:44 am
      BonnieinBama, welcome to the baking circle. You have stumbled into a great resource for anything baking or bread related. From one Southern gal to another, there is NOTHING like a really great biscuit!
      I've made Angel biscuits many times, both with the overnight proofing and without. The main reason for starting this thread was to gather together as many different kinds of Southern style biscuits under one roof and try them out on my grandson. He had just returned from a summer sleep-over camp in Mississippi and was raving about their biscuits. He wanted me to replicate those biscuits. Now, you and I know there are hundreds of different kinds of buttermilk biscuits. The trick was finding one a 7 year old boy could remember and love. I think, after much experimentation, we did just that.
      Funny, when I logged on and saw your post this morning, I had just returned from a shopping trip to Costco where I had purchased a 96oz box of BisQuick to make a huge batch of 7-Up Biscuits. I'll end up with well over 4 dozen biscuits to put in the freezer for breakfast and sharing. They are, far and away, the easiest biscuit to make in large quantity. And here I am, 4:30 in the morning, thinking about biscuits! There is nothing like a hot biscuit, slathered in butter, first thing in the morning.
      Again, welcome to the circle. Won't you join me in a cup of strong, black coffee and a biscuit?
      ~Cindy

reply by: ncgnet on April 19, 2015 at 8:24 am
      I did try making 7-up biscuits yesterday (after buying six little cans of 7-up). I thought, MrsCindy that you would have had a good laugh at this Connecticut (born) Yankee staring at an almost full bowl of the sticky dough, wondering how to get it mixed enough but not too much, etc. Did finally get it all incorporated, tuned the sticky mess, er mass, onto my not quite floured enough counter, Patted, turned, washed sticky fingers, more flour on the counter etc. I just cut into rectangles and chilled, then froze. I have a too narrow side by side fridge/ freezer so can be a challenge, even small cookie sheet won't fit. Baked a couple in the evening. Despite all I've described, they were good! And I'm glad I saw this thread this am, since I had put them all in one big bag. Will definitely repackage. This will replace my other sour cream biscuit recipe, though will probably make a drop cheddar one from time to time.
      So, thanks for sharing.
      Nancy

reply by: Mrs Cindy on April 19, 2015 at 9:44 am
      You are so welcome, Nancy. This recipe is so easy, with virtually no waste, which is why I love it so much.
      Now try, if you can, to imagine the giant box, 96 oz, from Costco, in my ginormous SS bowl, with all that sour cream and 7-Up as I use my dough whisk to stir everything together. It's always a huge challenge for me, but........I WILL prevail! I will put 7-Up Biscuits in the freezer this morning..........
      ~Cindy

reply by: ncgnet on April 19, 2015 at 11:29 am
      Yikes Cindy. Hard for me to imagine a bowl big enough for that much dough, let alone managing to mix it up. But I'm sure you can.
      For me the equivalent would be making Swedish meatballs, I like to make a really big batch and then have them handy for days when I don't feel inspired, just want to get something out of the freezer. Helps that they are one of my husband's favorites.
      Anyway, good luck with your monster mixing!

reply by: Mrs Cindy on April 20, 2015 at 5:08 am
      When you mentioned the drop cheddar biscuit, I thought about making about half this batch into scones. Easy enough to do by just adding sugar and some chopped fruit.
      Then, inspiration struck! Or maybe it was just me whacking my head on the wall. Cheddar biscuits! Why not add shredded cheese and some spice (?) blend to my 7-Up biscuits, a little more 7-Up, and make drop cheddar biscuits, too! I certainly have enough BisQuick to do all those different biscuits. Then freeze everything. I'll have breakfast (scones), lunch (biscuits) and dinner (drop cheddar biscuits)! Am I a genius, or what?? More along the lines of the 'or what' methinks! ?
      Today will be a 'mix it up and put it in the freezer' day.
      ~Cindy

reply by: buttercup on April 20, 2015 at 8:54 am
      You are a genius. Can't wait to hear the results. My biscuits seem to burn on the bottom and are a little crunchy. Am I doing something wrong. I bake them for 20 min. the 22 was to long. I put them on a baking pan with parchment, any suggestions?

reply by: Mrs Cindy on April 21, 2015 at 4:57 am
      What temp is your oven? I bake mine in a convection/microwave at 375° for 24 minutes. I'm baking from frozen, so I give it a couple of extra minutes. I found that 21-22 left the middle doughy. I also put a small dab of butter on the top before baking.
      I have a strange set up for baking in my convection/microwave. I bought a round pizza pan with no sides. Since the turntable rotates, the rectangular pans didn't turn as well and banged the sides. I also use a piece of super parchment, cut to a circle, instead of regular parchment.
      Frankly, I've never baked these biscuits any other way. The conventional oven takes too long to preheat (the convection/microwave takes exactly 5 minutes) and heats up the kitchen. It also takes so long to cool down. This way the oven is cool to the touch within 10 minutes and the kitchen doesn't overheat. The more I learn to use this thing, the more I like it. Just wish it were larger.
      Hope this helps!
      ~Cindy

BTW I ended up with just over 6 dozen biscuits. I made plain biscuits, plain (no fruit) scones and an herbed cheddar/Gruyere biscuit. All from one big (96 oz) box of BisQuick, a bottle of 7-Up and sour cream. All are in the freezer on baking sheets. I'll bag them this morning and have biscuits for meals for the next several weeks. This recipe is so versatile. I love it.
      ~C

reply by: Mrs Cindy on April 21, 2015 at 5:53 am
      Hahahahaha!! Just have to laugh. You should have seen the look on my Saints face. OMG, it was priceless.
      You know how I told everyone to bag their frozen biscuits in a small ziplock, then put the small bags in a larger bag? Well, when I bake a biscuit, or two, in the morning, I put the rmpty Baggie back into the larger one and stick everything back in the freezer.
      Last night I sent The Saint out to the freezer for something. He came back holding two 2 gallon ziplock bags full of empty quart size (maybe 15) bags. The expression was..........quizzical, to say the least. I'm sure he is convinced I've finally gone over the edge. The question was, "What are these bags for? Why do you need to keep them frozen?"
      You would think, after all these years, he would know better than to question me. I have reasons for everything I do. They all make sense. At least to me.
      In a couple of hours all those quart size bags will be filled with frozen biscuits and placed neatly inside those two 2 gallon ZipLocs. He won't have to wonder any more. ?
      ~Cindy

reply by: buttercup on April 21, 2015 at 7:26 am
      Thanks for the reply Cindy, I think I know what the problem is. The recipe directions says to preheat the oven to 400 degrees. That's an easy fix to 375 and I'll go back to the 21 -22 minutes. Thanks again for the answer and the recipe.

reply by: ncgnet on April 21, 2015 at 9:04 am
      It's always nice to have a freezer full of goodies. Yum.
      I have a couple of air core cookie sheets that I don't like using for cookies, their bottoms are too pale. But, they just right for biscuits or scones, their bottoms don't become too dark or burn. I do put parchment paper on them too.

reply by: frick on April 21, 2015 at 12:44 pm
      Cindy, I also keep all those empty ziplock bags frozen. There are dough bags, and bags for finished baked products of all sorts. Throwing them away is senseless! Sometimes I will reuse a bread bag from on the counter, unless I thought it had had something linger a little too long and risk molding. But you can imagine how seldom that happens around here.

reply by: Mrs Cindy on April 21, 2015 at 4:22 pm
      Buttercup, 375° should do the trick. Hope your biscuits turn out perfect!
      ~Cindy

reply by: buttercup on April 21, 2015 at 6:48 pm
      Even at 400 they were delicious, just a bit of crunch on bottom half.

reply by: twin2 on April 25, 2015 at 12:20 pm
      Mrs. Cindy, I made your lovely biscuits this morning and they were a large success around here! I have used DvdLee's recipe for years and love it, but these were very easy and delicious. The love of my life even commented on the lovely soft texture of the biscuit as he was reaching for the third one Thanks for the recipe and the inspiration to try something new..

reply by: Mrs Cindy on April 27, 2015 at 4:28 pm
      Twin2, it's so nice to see you posting here again. You've been missed. I'm thrilled you and your other half enjoyed these easy biscuits. I just put over 6 dozen in the freezer earlier this week. Bagging them in small, 2 biscuit, baggies, makes for hot, fresh biscuits in the morning. And how I LOVE those biscuits. Having a simple, quick, recipe is a plus. I'm glad you enjoyed them , too.
      ~Cindy

reply by: aaronatthedoublef on April 27, 2015 at 1:13 pm
      I just made biscuits for the first time in a long time this weekend so that is what brought me here.
      My mom used to use bisquik and much of her cooking and baking was learned from her aunt in Louisville (although some of you here may not consider that southern).

It was from "Savuer Cooks American" back before Savuer was acquired and became corporate and it's pretty simple so I think I'll keep using it as my family is disturbed if the see me use 1) a baking mix and 2) shortening. I would have to sneak those in.

The really interesting thing is that I've always read about using good, sharp biscuit cutters to get a high rising biscuit and I finally broke down and bought myself a set. And these were the highest biscuits I've ever made! And I could see the separate layers.

Of course my kids each ate two or three...

reply by: Mrs Cindy on April 27, 2015 at 4:36 pm
      Aaronatthedoublef, I'm making an assumption here and I HATE doing that, but here goes.......you made the 7-Up biscuits. Right? I noticed your comment about not bringing BisQuick into the house, but I can't think of any other of the recipes you might have used.
      Yes, a good sharp biscuit cutter makes a huge difference in the rise of those biscuits. Glad you and the kids enjoyed them. Like I said, I have just over six dozen in the freezer. With no evidence I ever had BisQuick in the house. Every speck of the mix was used.
      ~Cindy

reply by: aaronatthedoublef on April 28, 2015 at 3:13 pm
      Hi Cindy,
      I did not use BisQuick. I used to use it then started using Krusteaz when I met the wife of their head of QA.

And while Mom used BisQuick I don't think she ever cooked with 7-up or Coke.

Then I just stopped using any mixes because I usually have what I need for ingredients. So these were from scratch. I usually bake with at least two kids in the kitchen. My oldest is talking to me about sports and my youngest is insisting I pick her up while I make something (which I try to do except when putting things into the oven). And occasionally my middle wanders in with some random fact, to ask a question, or to read me something he has just read.

So everyone sees what I am doing... Although since biscuits don't need the mixer I could do them at 4 am and might have the kitchen to myself.

It keeps life interesting and I actually dread the day I have no one under foot.

reply by: Mrs Cindy on April 28, 2015 at 6:07 pm
      I fully understand dreading that day. I have/had 4 underfoot for what seemed like way too long, but once they were grown and gone, I miss them horribly. There is nothing like the wonderment and awe of a child. I have one I borrow (she's 12 years old) from time to time and that helps, but I do understand. Enjoy them while you can.
      ~Cindy

reply by: horses272 on April 29, 2015 at 12:23 pm
      Mrs. Cindy, why is it they want you off prednisone completely? Have you tried copaxone for MS?

reply by: twin2 on April 29, 2015 at 2:47 pm
      I tried baking some of the biscuits that were in the freezer this morning. Can I just say YUM!
      Mrs, Cindy, I just love the way these come out of the oven fresh and lovely. In a two person household, I often hesitate to make some things because we just can't eat it all I enjoyed them immensely with Plugra, (can't get the Kerry Gold all the time here) and some lovely raw honey. Licked my fingers and loved every bite. Good thing I only baked two!

reply by: Mrs Cindy on April 29, 2015 at 4:46 pm
      The regular doctors and the pain doc want me off completely because of the side effects. The head of the Maxine Messinger MS Clinic, my neurologist, says the high dose (60 mugs) is not unusual for an MS patient and he wants me to continue with it. According to him, I can go higher if I want.
      The Copaxone is for relapsing/remitting MS. Most of the disease modifying drugs available are for relapsing/remitting. I have 'graduated' to the secondary progressive form of MS. Right now there are no drugs being used for this form of the disease. The neurologist said they would do their best to keep me comfortable, but there wasn't anything else they could do for me. My old neurologist, who retired 3 years ago, said I had about 5-7 years. The new guy agreed with him. He said I appear to be right on schedule, about 2-4 years, if I can manage the symptoms/disease successfully with the prednisone.
      I dropped the dosage to 60 msg hoping it would help with the diabetes. It hasn't helped at all and the endocrinologist is talking about going up to about 80 mgs if I want to. We are still in the planning stages.
      I have a love/hate relationship with prednisone, as I'm sure you can guess. I love how it makes me feel and I hate how it makes me feel. The discussions continue......
      ~Cindy

reply by: Mrs Cindy on April 29, 2015 at 4:52 pm
      There is nothing better than a hot, fresh, right out of the oven, biscuit, first thing in the morning. When I discovered I could make and freeze those little gems, my fate (and waistline) was sealed! Plugra, Kerry Gold, Land O' Lakes, it doesn't make any difference. Slather on a bunch of butter, some honey, jam or cinnamon sugar and a blissful state will follow. The perfect way to start the day.
      Glad you are joining me in Nirvana!!
      ~Cindy

reply by: aaronatthedoublef on May 01, 2015 at 2:27 pm
      Plugra and Kerry Gold! I didn't realize I was corresponding with the super rich! 😉

I buy Land O'Lakes on sale in large quantities and freeze it. 🙂

reply by: luvpyrpom on May 01, 2015 at 7:30 pm
      Mrs. Cindy, I've been following this thread and have some questions that maybe you can answer. I really like the idea of freezing the biscuits and taking them out when I need them. I originally have a recipe that makes wonderful light and fluffy biscuits when baked fresh and stay fresh for a couple of days. But when I freeze them and bake them at a later date, they're woefully not so fluffy. I am planning on making the 7-Up biscuits on my next round freezer biscuit making. Do you know how many biscuits the original recipe makes? My biscuit cutter is roughly 2.5" round. And have you used the Heart Smart Bisquick? Thanks for any tips!

reply by: Mrs Cindy on May 02, 2015 at 6:20 am
      Luvpyrpom, I answered your post last night. Then got interrupted and never submitted it. Consequently, this morning, my answer had disappeared into the ether......pufffffff. I HATE when that happens. So, I'm starting over and, hopefully, I won't forget any of what I so painstakingly wrote last night. If anybody interrupts me at 4:30 in the morning, I'm not going to be responsible for what happens to them. Fair warning..........
      First, I've never used the Heart Smart BisQuick. I'm not sure what makes it 'heart smart'. Did they change the kind or type of shortening? So, I don't know how it would react to the 7-Up or why you would use it if you were adding sour cream. More on that later.
      Second, the original recipe is in this thread, with the quantities. Just scroll on back until you find it.
      Third, I worked this recipe to make it as easy as possible. My intent was to use everything, no waste. To that end, I gently pat the dough, all of it, into a square or rectangle, then cut the biscuits using my bench knife into square biscuits. No waste. Only one rolling/patting/forming. Again, quick and easy. So I don't use a round cutter. I have no idea how many round biscuits the original recipe would make.
      Forth, I make a lot of these biscuits, so I use the large box, 96 oz, from Walmart or Costco. There are smaller boxes, so if you wanted to make a smaller (or much smaller) amount you could use a smaller box and adjust the amount of 7-Up and sour cream you used.
      Now, to return to the heart smart thing. I think, but don't know for a fact, that you could make this biscuit and have it turn out pretty good, by doing the following: try using the Heart Smart mix, use diet 7-Up and use lo-fat sour cream or regular (NOT GREEK) yogurt. Of course, I'm assuming you are looking for a heart healthy version of this biscuit. I think this might work.
      One last thing about YOUR biscuits not baking up as light and fluffy from frozen. I think it might have to do with the method of freezing/storing/baking. You have to freeze the cut, raw, dough as quickly as possible. Make sure your freezer is set to zero. Put the cut biscuits on a cookie sheet on parchment about 1" to 1 1/2" apart and put them in the ICE COLD freezer. As soon as they are frozen through, no more than 6 hours, start wrapping/bagging them. Here's part of the secret. First determine how many biscuits you plan to bake each time. If it's 6, then take 6 biscuits and put them in a small, quart-size ZipLoc bag. Do this with all the biscuits. Then put all your small bags into a larger ZipLoc and write the baking instructions on the outside of the large bag.
      When it's time to bake, preheat the oven before taking the biscuits out of the freezer. When the oven is hot, put the biscuits on a rimmed baking sheet, on parchment and put a small dab of butter (or brush melted butter) on top of each biscuit. Into the oven it goes. Add one minute to your baking time. This is usually enough, but you might have to experiment. It might take an extra minute. How do you know? When the timer goes off, reach in and grab ONE biscuit. Leave the others in the oven. Quickly, with a fork, split the biscuit. Look at the very center. If you still have raw dough, leave the other biscuits in the oven for another minute or two.
      The biscuit with the raw center? Scoop out the center, plop it back in the oven (just the raw center) then, because you're the cook and you can do this, slather a little butter on your tester biscuit and quickly eat it before anybody knows what you've done. After all, you were doing it for them. Right? Oh, and the little center piece? That's yours too! ?
      Now, one last thing about your biscuits. Remember when I said I cut mine with a bench knife? One reason for doing this is you handle the dough less. Really only one time. When you are cutting yours I'm guessing you cut out the biscuits with your round biscuit cutter and bake them for the meal you made them for. Then you re-roll the scraps to freeze and re-roll the next batch of scraps to freeze. Each time you do that, re-rolling and cutting, the biscuits get tougher and not so fluffy. You are handling the dough too much. I really think that's a big part of what is happening.
      Hopefully I've managed to answer all your questions. If you have more, please ask.
      ~Cindy

reply by: dachshundlady on May 02, 2015 at 7:05 am
      Cindy, you for got to tell her to put your "used" ziplocs back in the freezer to confound any innocent person who looks in the freezer.

reply by: luvpyrpom on May 02, 2015 at 6:51 pm
      Mrs. Cindy, thank you for your tips. The only difference I can see between the Heart Smart and Regular is that the Heart Smart doesn't have the partial hydrogenated oils, otherwise have the same ingredients. My plan is to use try the Heart Smart and soy sourcream to see how they turn out.
      And I agree with you, I think I'm overworking the dough and then freezing them. I will try to the square method and see how they turn out. And I don't take them out of the freezer after 6 hours, I usually freeze them overnight and then bag them the next day.

I do the same thing about freezing stuff and saving the empty bags in the appropriate place (I have empty Ziploc bags in both the frig and the freezer) 🙂 I buy fresh made noodles in the Asian stores and they're divided into batches within a bag. Since this is a household of 2, we can't eat all of them, I usually get home, bag each batch individually and then stick them in a large gallon sized freezer bag. That way I can cook the noodles in smaller servings. I do the same with soups and smoothies - I freeze individual portions into freezer quart size bags and put them in my lunch box for work. For a while I debated about freezing the soups in glass containers like the Snap and Locks but then they take so much space in the freezer. I can freeze the soups flat.

I will let everyone know how the 7-Up biscuits turn out with the substitutions. Have to eat up the ones I have in the freezer first so it will be a couple of weeks.

reply by: dachshundlady on May 03, 2015 at 7:40 am
      luvpyrpom, excuse me if I have asked you this before: Do you have a Great Pyrenees dog, a Pomeranian or a combo of those breeds (which I cannot imagine)?

reply by: buttercup on May 03, 2015 at 9:19 am
      Good morning Cindy, I have ANOTHER question for you about your 7-up biscuits. I love having them in my freezer and have them every weekend. I love your idea about cutting them in squares instead of cutting them with a biscuit cutter, I did have several re rolls of the dough. Anyway, how large do you cut your squares and do you use a metal or plastic bench knife? Thanks again for the wonderful recipe and your help. I just had two biscuits filled with a Morningstar Patty, nice change from oatmeal.

reply by: luvpyrpom on May 03, 2015 at 10:27 am
      Daschundlady - LOL, only a dog person would understand my login name! Yes, my very first dog I got on my own was a Great Pyrenees and my sister got a Pomeranian. They were raised together so when we went on walks we got a lot of comments. Alas, because of being in the city and lack of space, I can no longer have another Pyr, but have stuck to Poms for now. Still love Pyrs for large dogs and hope to get another someday.

reply by: dachshundlady on May 03, 2015 at 7:03 pm
      We've had several Dobermans and I just love the breed. We just don't have enuf room anymore!

reply by: Mrs Cindy on May 04, 2015 at 6:24 am
      Buttercup, I cut mine with a metal bench knife that is quite sharp. That way I get the same effect as a sharp biscuit cutter. I get layers. Since it's just me, the size doesn't make any difference. After all, nobody sees them except me. But, usually they end up at about 2" square. Some, on the very edge or corner are smaller/larger, and I package the really small ones three to a ziploc, just for a cooks treat (doncha' know ?).
      I'm glad you, and everyone else, is enjoying these biscuits as much as I am. Stay tuned for the cornbread version. I'll be posting the results and recipe in the cornbread thread D-Lady started.
      ~Cindy

reply by: buttercup on May 04, 2015 at 8:37 am
      Thanks Cindy, I'm going to make mine square from now on, no re rolling for me. lol

reply by: Rascals1 on May 04, 2015 at 10:27 am
      Cindy I'm trying to picture you incorporating a 96 oz. box of baking mix into the liquid, I used a 40 oz box and my arm was so tired when I got done. All I can picture is a pop eye type muscle on your arm. lol You go for it.

reply by: dachshundlady on May 04, 2015 at 2:33 pm
      Haha, Rascals. Or Mighty Mouse! I'm going to make some this afternoon using 1/3 cornmeal and adding some sugar. Last time I made them, I made some into caramel pecan sticky buns. I just can't leave well enough alone . . .

reply by: swirth on May 04, 2015 at 2:40 pm
      Here's an easy little KAF biscuit recipe,,,Cinnamon Swirl Biscuits:
      -
      [Recipe is on this site, posted by S. Wirth: search the title]

reply by: Mrs Cindy on May 04, 2015 at 3:09 pm
      I'm pretty stubborn when it comes to figuring things out. I have a huge, 2 gallon, stainless steel bowl. Once I get all the wet ingredients well mixed, it's a snap to anchor the bowl on my low cutting board (specially built for my wheelchair height) and mix with gloved hands. I don't even try it with a spoon. That would be a really nasty mess. Me.......covered in flour....?.......Weedsnstitches knows EXACTLY what I'm laughing about!!
      Or, I could be Mighty Mouse! Right now I may be a little large for the Mighty Mouse image. Quite the complement, though, thank you!
      ~Cindy

reply by: dachshundlady on May 04, 2015 at 5:53 pm
      I made cornmeal biscuits and they were quite good. Neither cornbread nor biscuits!

3 cups Bisquick
      1 cup cornmeal
      1 1/2 teas baking powder
      2 teas sugar
      1 cup sour cream
      3/4 cup 7Up

I really liked the texture due to the cornmeal.

reply by: Mrs Cindy on May 05, 2015 at 5:43 am
      "I really liked the texture due to the cornmeal", I agree, 100%, D-Lady. Not really biscuit or cornbread, but a delightful mix of the two. I see you added baking powder. Any specific reason? Also, mine ended up sweeter, I think, but I just wanted a sweet corn muffin-type taste.
      Don't you love it when I thought blossoms into reality?!?! Love, love, love those 7-Up biscuits!! So versatile!
      ~Cindy

reply by: Rascals1 on May 05, 2015 at 7:26 am
      Biscuits turned out very light, fluffy, tender, nice rise and even browning. Good going Cindy oops forgot tasty.

reply by: dachshundlady on May 05, 2015 at 7:36 am
      I added baking powder and salt because a proportion of the whole mix is now cornmeal which does not contain either. I also wanted to tell you that I melt a bunch of butter in my baking pan as I preheat the oven. The butter melts before the oven is ready so I set the pan on the counter while I mix and cut biscuits. Then I settle the biscuits in the warm butter before popping them in the oven. Mmmmm.

reply by: Mrs Cindy on May 07, 2015 at 5:24 am
      I need to add this notation to my instructions. Mine needed the extra baking powder, but were still acceptable. Good job, D-Lady. I also love the tip about the butter. Except that I freeze mine and bake from frozen. Instead of putting a small pat of butter on each biscuit, I could have butter in the pan, melting, while the oven preheats.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by BakerAunt.
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.