Testing Cornbread for Doneness

Home Forums Threads Saved from the KAF Baking Circle Testing Cornbread for Doneness

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    rottiedogs
    Participant

Testing Cornbread for Doneness
      dachshundlady
      I use a "normal" cornbread recipe from Dinah Shore's Cookbook. No extra fluids or fats. But the last few times I have made it, I bake for 25-30 minutes and test with toothpick which comes out perfectly dry. But when I cut into it, there is oozey stuff still in the middle. Then back in the oven for another 10 minutes. Is there a better way to test?

badge posted by: dachshundlady on November 10, 2013 at 6:41 am in General discussions
      share on: Twitter, Facebook
      Subscribe to: This post
      REPLIES TO THIS DISCUSSION
      Save
      Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save" to activate your changes.
      reply by: dachshundlady on November 11, 2013 at 6:10 am
      dachshundlady
      It is an old pyrex that is white on inside and yellow on outside.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: frick on November 11, 2013 at 2:49 am
      frick
      I hear you. It isn't logical. It may remain one of life's mysteries. By the way, I have a feeling that reducing the temp 25 degrees really means for a clear glass pan like pyrex. If the red one is yours, it looks like stoneware, which I would not consider "glass". I feel stoneware takes longer to heat due to it's thickness.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: dachshundlady on November 10, 2013 at 6:46 pm
      dachshundlady
      Ok. I will cook it longer, use a square pan and my thermometer. I just don't understand why the toothpick test doesn't work. I tested in several spots in the middle.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: dachshundlady on November 10, 2013 at 6:46 pm
      dachshundlady
      Ok. I will cook it longer, use a square pan and my thermometer. I just don't understand why the toothpick test doesn't work. I tested in several spots in the middle.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: frick on November 10, 2013 at 4:46 pm
      frick
      Though it is beautiful, 25-30 minutes does not sound long enough. I usually make all cornbread, regardless of the recipe, in a preheated HOT pan, with some butter sizzling in the bottom. If that is the photo of your own, it looks thick, and I suspect you should either up the temp or simply bake it longer.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: dachshundlady on November 10, 2013 at 4:33 pm
      dachshundlady
      Thank you Kiddo. The cornbread tastes good but frustrates me. In the same meal I made up my own chili recipe for venison chili. I hate "chili powder" so did a combo of cumin coriander salt pepper basil oregano dill weed onion powder garlic powde and cayenne. Also some chocolate to avoid bitterness and at the end red wine vinegar. Plus all the usual chili ingredients like veggies and meat and beans. Also sautéed the spices 2 min in olive oil to remove raw taste. DH proclaimed it the best chili he ever had.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: dachshundlady on November 10, 2013 at 4:32 pm
      dachshundlady
      Thank you Kiddo. The cornbread tastes good but frustrates me. In the same meal I made up my own chili recipe for venison chili. I hate "chili powder" so did a combo of cumin coriander salt pepper basil oregano dill weed onion powder garlic powde and cayenne. Also some chocolate to avoid bitterness and at the end red wine vinegar. Plus all the usual chili ingredients like veggies and meat and beans. Also sautéed the spices 2 min in olive oil to remove raw taste. DH proclaimed it the best chili he ever had.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: KIDPIZZA on November 10, 2013 at 3:09 pm
      KIDPIZZA
      D"LADY:
      Good afternoon my dear friend. Sorry to learn of your baking disappointment. I scrutinized the recipe like I always do when it is posted. I feel the recipe is reasonably balanced... with-in the tolerance zone of plus & minus.
      Mary~Ann, believe it or not the cake doesn't bake in the middle is because the 9, in X 5,in X 3, in pans are "NOTORIOUS for leaving the middle 1/2, baked. When I first became a member here at the BC about 12, years ago a member posted the same problem I alerted her what I just mentioned to you. She changed pans & she thanked me for my help. I would consider a 8, in sq pan or a bundt pan.
      In any event Mary~Ann do what you think is best for yourself. If you need any suggestions post back.
      Enjoy the rest of the day.
      ~KIDDO.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: Antilope on November 10, 2013 at 12:10 pm
      Antilope
      I have to agree, I use a Thermapen thermometer. When it reads 190-F in several places, it's done.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: Mike Nolan on November 10, 2013 at 11:14 am
      Mike Nolan
      I always remember the old joke about pie are round, cornbread are square. I figure mine is done (baked in an 8x8 glass pan) when the top starts to brown and it pulls away from the sides. which usually takes about 25 minutes at 375 (in glass.)
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: dachshundlady on November 10, 2013 at 10:55 am
      dachshundlady
      Thermometer a good idea. What temp would I want? 190?
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: Mike Nolan on November 10, 2013 at 10:45 am
      Mike Nolan
      Do you have a digital thermometer you could use? I also wonder if the curvature of the bowl means your cornbread is a bit thicker than it would be in an 8 x 8 pan?
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: dachshundlady on November 10, 2013 at 9:25 am
      dachshundlady
      OK, Kiddo, here goes. From "Someones in the Kitchen with Dinah" (Her personal cookbook)
      1 cup cornmeal
      1 cup flour
      1/2 teas soda
      1 teas baking powder
      1 teas salt
      I add 3 Table dark brown sugar
      1/3 cup shortening (I use Crisco)
      1 cup buttermilk
      2 eggs
      Mix dry ingredients into mixing bowl (here I add br sugar). Cut in shortening til well blended. Beat buttermilk and eggs together. Mix with dry until just blended. Pour into well greased oblong baking dish (she does not state size but I use a deep 9" old glass baking dish.) Bake 400 (I used 380 because of the glass) for 25 minutes or until done.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: KIDPIZZA on November 10, 2013 at 8:03 am
      KIDPIZZA
      D'LADY:
      Good morning to you. Mary~Ann my friend you asked..."Is there a better way to determine for doneness"
      .Try posting the recipe this way we can point out the problem for your cake...probably the leaveners.
      Till then my friend enjoy the rest of the weekend.
      ~KIDDO.

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.