3 slices bread
      2 cups water
      1 onion, minced and sauteed
      2 potatoes (boiled and mashed)
      3 teaspoons salt
      1/8 teaspoon pepper
      2 eggs
      Butter (or other fat) for frying

3 to 4 tablespoons butter (or other fat)
      1/2 cup flour
      3 cups stock (use beef cubes)
      1 cup cream
      salt, pepper to taste

Have the butcher grind the meat a couple of times. Soak bread in water. Mince and saute onion. Mash hte potatoes. Now mix all ingredients in a large bowl and keep on working it until you have a smooth, spongy mass. It is easiest to achieve this by using your hand. Heat butter (or fat), in frying pan. Shape the balls by using spoon and palm of your hand, both wet. Brown evenly in butter (or fat), shaking pan during the process to keep the round shape. Remove to kettle. Repeat until mixture is used up.

Make gravy in the same frying pan by heating butter (or fat) and adding flour. Heat and stir to a golden paste. Add stock gradually, stirring briskly toa void lumps. If you prefer a darker gravy add a few drops of Kitchen Bouquet or brown some sugar for the purpose. Add cream and season to taste. Simmer sauce 4 to 5 minutes. Then pour it over meat balls and let them cook on low flame 40 to 60 minutes. Neither overcooking nor reheating will harm this wonderful concoction.

The use of pork in the meat balls cuts down on the quantity of fat needed in the frying porcess besides adding a nice, sweet flavor to the meet. For special occasions it is very nice to add 1/4 to 1/2 pound of chopped and sauteed mushrooms to the gravy and let them simmer with the meatballs.

I'm going to make mine in a non-stick skillet this year. If they stick to the pan, it's much harder to keep them round. I'm also making mine ahead and freezing them for the big night!
      Enjoy and let me know how they come out.

beabaker

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.