Strawberry Short Cake

Home Forums Threads Saved from the KAF Baking Circle Strawberry Short Cake

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    rottiedogs
    Participant

Strawberry Short Cake
      milakeshore17456
      I do not care for the biscuit shortcake type for strawberries, does anyone have a better idea. I was thinking almond.
      badge posted by: milakeshore17456 on May 09, 2013 at 2:05 pm in Baking, misc.
      tags: Shortcake
      share on: Twitter, Facebook
      Subscribe to: This post
      REPLIES TO THIS DISCUSSION
      Save
      Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save" to activate your changes.
      reply by: puppyfuzz on May 20, 2013 at 8:57 pm
      puppyfuzz
      Keri-
      I don't think almond milk tastes of almonds at all. It is quite creamy, and doesn't have that off taste that some brands of soymilk do. My absolute favorite brand is the Silk Almond milk, but Blue Diamond is pretty good, too. There are sweetened and unsweetened versions, as well as plain, vanilla, and often chocolate. It subs in for dairy in every recipe I've ever tried, including subbing for cream in ganache. It doesn't curdle in coffee, and is enjoyable to drink n its own. Many brands are also fortified with calcium, etc. Because it has a decent amount of fat, it has a good mouth feel and works well in recipes (versus non-fat dairy milk).
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: Antilope on May 20, 2013 at 6:06 pm
      Antilope
      It tastes a little like almond. We used a commercial version from the supermarket, but you can also make your own, but blending roasted almonds in water and straining it. There are videos on YouTube. The commercial version also had vanilla flavoring added.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: KAF_Keri on May 20, 2013 at 2:10 pm
      KAF_Keri
      Antilope,
      Does almond milk taste like almonds? I kind of can't believe I've never tried it before. And do the biscuits made with it taste almondy? Cause that would be pretty yummy (either way)!
      ~Keri
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: cwcdesign on May 20, 2013 at 2:10 pm
      cwcdesign
      Keri,
      I made 2 loaf angel food cakes last weekend for the same reason. One is in the freezer - the other is long gone.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: Antilope on May 20, 2013 at 1:44 pm
      Antilope
      Here's an idea for those that do like sweet biscuit strawberry shortcakes. The other day, my wife made the recipe on the back of the Bisquick box. But she substituted Almond Milk for the dairy milk and Splenda for the sugar. It was really good.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: KAF_Keri on May 20, 2013 at 11:45 am
      KAF_Keri
      I just saw this cake idea in today's KAF email and thought of this discussion!
      http://bit.ly/18YKs43
      They're using a pound cake, but I'm imagining using an angel food cake instead and cutting it into more layers. Simple enough and it means more of my favourite part (whipped cream and strawberries)! It would probably work perfectly with a rectangular cake pan (like this one: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/angel-food-loaf-pan#5704#).
      Or, even better, I could make a regular recipe and bake it in two 8x5 loaf pans. Freeze one and make the other right away - dessert for two!
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: goldens4 on May 10, 2013 at 11:52 am
      goldens4
      I don't care for the biscuits either. My mother made what she called a cross between biscuits and pie crust, but never wrote it down. It was just "less of this, more of that" type of thing.
      She rolled it out thin, cut into squares and buttered the top, then folded it over. When it came out of the oven, she buttered the bottom part, sugared it and put mostly whole strawberries there, and put the top back on. No whipped cream, just butter and sugar. Heavenly!!
      I have not been able to duplicate yet. I've even used plain pie crust which was good but not quite the same.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: swirth on May 10, 2013 at 9:42 am
      swirth
      I know my grandma always used scalded milk in her sponge cakes and she made them nearly every day so I've seen enough of them to be certain about that. She worked in many area restaurants thru the years and even when she wasn't working she baked and cooked like a trooper at home every day. The day she broke her hip, she had bread and rolls rising all over her kitchen at age 84. She never made it back home after hip surgery. She died in hospital.
      I Googled this morning on 'cake with scalded milk' (omit quotes) and found a lot of comments on sponge cakes using scalded milk and what the results were in doing so. I still have not located that grandma's sponge cake recipe but will keep digging.
      I did find my mom's recipe we have always loved for strawberry season for 'shortcake.' It is hand-written on a little jib of paper with not many directions. Way back then, folks assumed ohers knew how to bake and cook.
      It says:
      Sweet Cake (Jelly Roll)
      3 large eggs
      1 tsp. bkp (baking powder she means)
      1/4 tsp. salt
      1/2 cup sugar
      1/2 cup corn syrup (she means Karo light type)
      1 tsp.vanilla
      1 cup flour
      Red tart jelly or ice cream. (We loved homemade red plum jelly or preserves on this when we made jelly rolls with it).
      375F
      No time given, we just knew when it was done. Roll up in towel at narrow end. Cool 15 min. Unroll and spread with jelly.
      We used a jelly roll sized pan for making jelly rolls but used smaller pans for making the strawberry 'shortcakes' style with this recipe. We cut the cake (sponge cake) into nice serving size pieces and topped with fresh-picked, sugared strawberries and our own Jersey and Guernsey cows' whipped cream.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: cwcdesign on May 10, 2013 at 6:57 am
      cwcdesign
      I like certain traditional shortcakes, but I have also used meringues - either drop or as a 3 layer cake (with chocolate spread on each layer, strawberries and whipped cream)
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: Jock on May 09, 2013 at 10:29 pm
      Jock
      I will sometimes use leftover scones for strawberry shortcake. I nuke them for 15-20 seconds to soften them up a bit and top with the macerated strawberries and whipped cream.
      Jock
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: Mike Nolan on May 09, 2013 at 10:00 pm
      Mike Nolan
      They make shortcake pans, sort of miniature Maryann cake shapes, but that's kind of a specialized pan to have laying around most of the year.
      I think the best strawberry shortcake I've ever had was more of a strawberry tallcake, it was 3 layers of sponge cake with strawberries and two kinds of flavored whipped cream in the middle and plain whipped cream top, drizzled with a strawberry sauce. I've had similar desserts that were obviously frozen, but that one was definitely made in-house by their pastry chef.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: PaddyL on May 09, 2013 at 8:55 pm
      PaddyL
      My mother always used sponge cake, smashing some of the strawberries and letting the juice sink into the cake before putting the whole thing together with whipped cream.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: puppyfuzz on May 09, 2013 at 8:06 pm
      puppyfuzz
      though the biscuit route is my personal favorite, I second the sponge cake. I do a vegan vanilla sponge, then top with macerated berries and (non dairy) whipped topping. It's like a grown up twinkie.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: swirth on May 09, 2013 at 6:47 pm
      swirth
      When I was a kid, we had so many layer chickens for our egg route so we loved using angel food cakes or sponge cakes for strawberry shortcake to use up our eggs...and I grew up on a dairy farm where we milked Jersey and Guernsey cows and their milk was half cream so whipped cream was always readily available. Sometimes we had biscuit shortcakes but that was not the most common.
      When I think back to our old grade school, and it was where my husband taught grade school for 20 of his 40 years, the cooks got frozen strawberries for commodity supplies from the gov't for the lunch program...they made angel food cakes in those long angel food cake pans and served strawberries on the nice slices of angel food cake. A big hit with most of the kids! I liked those long pans of angel food cake as the slices were nice and flat and easier to serve than the wedge slices of a typical angel food cake pan.
      When this thread first appeared, I went looking for a sponge cake recipe like we used at home.
      I found this interesting link wih many options/recipes that folks enjoy for strawberry shortcake:
      http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/04/23/2845178/delicious-debate.html
      Didn't find a sponge cake recipe like I was looking for, tho. I'll keep looking for one like grandmas and mom always made. I really like sponge cake and strawberries and cannot find a hand-written one that we used.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: frick on May 09, 2013 at 6:08 pm
      frick
      I love strawberry shortcake made with Cream Cheese Poundcake. The recipe is in my recipes. Just click on my name. I think KAF also has a recipe as do a couple of members. dachshundlady has a version baked as a sheet cake, which would be easy to cut into squares. I made the pound cake recently for my son's b'day (his wife does not like chocolate) and she raved that it was so much better than the expensive cakes she had ordered for special occasions. She was right, too. Just pile on the real whipped cream, though some good vanilla ice cream works wonders as well.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: Cindy Leigh on May 09, 2013 at 5:15 pm
      Cindy Leigh
      I love the traditional biscuits, but pound cake is good, too!
      I bought lovely mini pans from KAF that you can see on my pictures, they're like flower petals and you could bake your cake in that, and put ice cream and strawberries in the center.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: bsteimle on May 09, 2013 at 4:14 pm
      bsteimle
      I always use angel food cake for my strawberry shortcake and always with "real" whipped cream. It was my birthday cake of choice for many years!
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: KAF_Keri on May 09, 2013 at 3:18 pm
      KAF_Keri
      I never even realized using biscuits was a "thing" until a few years ago! I use an angelfood cake made in a bundt pan (the one with the hole in the middle). I mix up a big batch of whipped cream, take out a couple cups and mix that with macerated strawberries. Cut the cake in half, smear the strawberry/whipped cream mixture in the middle, put the top half back on the cake, cover the whole thing with whipped cream and then stick strawberries all over the outside of the cake and in the hole in the middle. Add the strawberries on the outside only shortly before serving, otherwise they'll weep and get messy. So easy to make but so delicious and pretty!
      Keri @ KAF

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.