Participant

Mrs. Chiu's Pumpkin Scones
      Submitted by mrs.chiu on September 04, 2009 at 9:33 am

DESCRIPTION
      Mrs. Chiu's Pumpkin Scones

SUMMARY
      Yield 0 File under Muffins Quickbreads Scones
      INSTRUCTIONS

Several years ago a friend told me about the Starbucks Pumpkin scones and how good they were so I ventured out one winter morning and tried one.....talk about disappointed! They weren't moist and the flavor punch just wasn't there for me. So I embarked on developing a recipe for the perfect pumpkin scone and here it is!

Quantity: Baker's dozen

3 1/3 C. King Arthur all-purpose* flour
      1 C. light or dark brown sugar, packed
      2 t. ground cinnamon
      3/4 t. ground ginger
      3/4 t. ground nutmeg
      1 3/4 t. baking powder
      1/2 t. baking soda
      2 T. buttermilk powder**
      7/8 t. salt
      1 1/2 sticks cold unsalted butter, cut up
      1/2 C. + 1 T. water
      1 C. canned 100% pumpkin (no spices added)
      3/4 C. semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional, but a requirement for me!)

Cream Cheese Frosting (optional)

Note: **If you want to use buttermilk instead of the powdered form, omit the water and in it’s place use 1/2 C. + 1 T. fresh buttermilk.

1.Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or use silpats like I do.

2.In a food processor bowl, add all dry ingredients and pulse, then add butter. Process until butter is evenly distributed. Stir in the chocolate chips if using. (This is a good point to put the mixture into a Ziploc bag and freeze until right before you want to bake.)

3.In a separate bowl, mix together the water and pumpkin. Add this to the dry ingredients and mix just until the dough comes together. Do not overmix (I use a danish dough whisk). You might need to add a few tablespoons more water until it comes together.

4.Using large ice cream scoop (about 1/3 cup of dough), drop scones on prepared baking sheet.

5.Bake for about 20-22 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Transfer to wire rack to cool. Frost when cooled with your favorite cream cheese frosting. I like to top each with a square piece of waxed paper so that the frosting stays put and doesn't create a mess.

These freeze very well and when stored several days in airtight container, get even more moist! A good keeping scone.

**Note: I've used King Arthur 100% white whole wheat flour in place of the all-purpose and it does excellent, you just might need to add another tablespoon or two of water...a good way to sneak in some extra fiber without anyone noticing!

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.