Lasagna Help, Please

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) Lasagna Help, Please

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Italiancook
    Participant

Below is an extremely good recipe for vegetable lasagna. You'll notice the last line says how to turn it into meat lasagna. It's a project to make the veggie lasagna because of cooking the spinach (frozen) and fresh broccoli. So I'd like to make meat lasagna, but I am uncertain about the ingredients. If you have time, please read the recipe and help me out. Questions at the end of recipe.

VEGETABLE FILLING
      3 pkg. chopped spinach -- cooked & drained well
      1 large bunch broccoli -- chopped, steamed & drained well
      2 cloves garlic -- minced
      1-1/2 tsp. salt
      1 - 16 oz. can whole tomatoes, chopped
      2 - 6 oz. cans tomato paste
      Oregano & basil to taste (I used 1 tsp. each in past)
      8 lasagna noodles -- cooked & drained

Cook 8 lasagna noodles and drain

CHEESE FILLING
      3 cups low-fat creamy cottage cheese
      2 cups low-fat ricotta cheese
      1 cup parmesan cheese
      1 tsp. salt
      2 tbsp. parsley flakes

Mix

Cut 1 lb. low-fat mozzarella cheese into thin slices.

Place 1/2 of the cooked noodles in an oblong dish. Spread 1/2 of the cheese filing over the noodles. Cover with 1/2 of the mozzarella cheese and half the vegetable mixture.

Repeat the layers.

Cover with foil. Bake at preheated 375 degree oven for 30 minutes.

For meat lasagna, replace vegetables with 2 lb. ground round.

Re: the last line: I made meat lasagna once, but I can't remember how I did it. I'm thinking I should mix the chopped whole tomatoes and tomato paste with the browned meat so the lasagna has a tomatoey flavor. What do you think?

Also, I can't recall: Should the last layer be lasagna noodles and parmesan? Or just the meat mixture with parmesan on top?

Thanks for your suggestions about this.

Spread the word
      RiversideLen
      Participant

When I have made lasagna I have mixed the cooked meat with the tomato sauce but I think you could also layer it and that could have some advantages. For example, the first layer in your pan would be the plain sauce mixture, then noodle, sauce, meat, veggies if used, cheese, noodle, etc etc. And then the final layer, noodle, sauce and parm. I think you want sauce on the final layer of noodle otherwise it could dry out.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Italian Cook: If you ever decide to make the vegetable lasagna, I don't think you would have to cook the frozen spinach. Instead, just let it defrost in the refrigerator in a strainer over a bowl, and squeeze out the moisture. The 30 minutes in the oven would certainly cook it. I've made vegetarian lasagnas, and I've never cooked the defrosted frozen spinach before baking it.

As for the broccoli, I often do broccoli in the microwave. For two people, I put it in a covered glass dish--after rinsing it off--and microwave on high for about 2 minutes or so, then let sit for a couple of minutes.

KIDPIZZA
          Participant

Below is an extremely good recipe for vegetable lasagna. You’ll notice the last line says how to turn it into meat lasagna. It’s a project to make the veggie lasagna because of cooking the spinach (frozen) and fresh broccoli. So I’d like to make meat lasagna, but I am uncertain about the ingredients. If you have time, please read the recipe and help me out. Questions at the end of recipe.

VEGETABLE FILLING
            3 pkg. chopped spinach — cooked & drained well
            1 large bunch broccoli — chopped, steamed & drained well
            2 cloves garlic — minced
            1-1/2 tsp. salt
            1 – 16 oz. can whole tomatoes, chopped
            2 – 6 oz. cans tomato paste
            Oregano & basil to taste (I used 1 tsp. each in past)
            8 lasagna noodles — cooked & drained

Cook 8 lasagna noodles and drain

CHEESE FILLING
            3 cups low-fat creamy cottage cheese
            2 cups low-fat ricotta cheese
            1 cup parmesan cheese
            1 tsp. salt
            2 tbsp. parsley flakes

Mix

Cut 1 lb. low-fat mozzarella cheese into thin slices.

ITALIAN COOK:
            Good afternoon. I am sending you over to "YOU TUBE" There my friend are many selections for your viewing. Get an idea & then do it. I know you will succeed in this. If you have other inquiry's about preparing this dish post them & I will help you with your preparation.

Till then GGOD LUCK!!! & enjoy the day/

~KIDPIZZA / CASS.

Place 1/2 of the cooked noodles in an oblong dish. Spread 1/2 of the cheese filing over the noodles. Cover with 1/2 of the mozzarella cheese and half the vegetable mixture.

Repeat the layers.

Cover with foil. Bake at preheated 375 degree oven for 30 minutes.

For meat lasagna, replace vegetables with 2 lb. ground round.

Re: the last line: I made meat lasagna once, but I can’t remember how I did it. I’m thinking I should mix the chopped whole tomatoes and tomato paste with the browned meat so the lasagna has a tomatoey flavor. What do you think?

Also, I can’t recall: Should the last layer be lasagna noodles and parmesan? Or just the meat mixture with parmesan on top?

Thanks for your suggestions about this.

Italiancook
            Participant

RiversideLen, thanks for your idea of keeping the meat and sauce separate. I don't know what I did the one and only time I made the meat lasagna using this recipe (over a decade ago), but your suggestion sounds good. Thanks for the layering "diagram."

BakerAunt, yes, what you say about not cooking the frozen spinach makes a lot of sense. I wouldn't have thought of that. I also never thought about mirowaving broccoli. I'm going to try that. That'd make the veggie lasagna less of a project. Thanks!

KIDPIZZA, what a super idea sending me a video! Thanks. Since it's been over a decade since I last made lasagna, the video comes in handy. Now I know what to do with the top of the lasagna.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.