Kitchenaid Mixer

Home Forums General Discussions Kitchenaid Mixer

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    RiversideLen
    Participant

I have the "Professional 5 Plus" which is a 5 quart wide bowl. It came with the spiral bread hook. Mike, I'm surprised about the bowl popping off on your son's KA, I've not had that issue.

skeptic7
      Participant

I used my kitchenaid to make "Japanese Milk Rolls" from the KA flour recipe. I tried to follow the directions and ended up with 10 very large, very fluffy rolls. I think I would have preferred smaller rolls. This time I didn't time how long I kneaded the dough just kept the machine on till the dough start crawling up the hook. The dough was very soft even after I added additional flour. I was happier with the mixer this time since I was concentrating on its strength in mixing and kneading bread dough, and not expecting it to do other things like cream butter or beat eggs.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

When I've made some of the Japanese milk bread recipes, they doubled or nearly tripled during final proof, so reducing the size of each roll sounds like the right way to go.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

He's had it pop off when he's used it at well, I think that's been reported with some of the 6 quart models, it may mean the bowl isn't getting fully locked down.

skeptic7
            Participant

I was reading various bread recipes for using a stand mixer. Do any of you have different standards for using a mixer as opposed to doing it by hand? For example I have different ways of dealing with whole wheat and white bread.
              1). White bread. Use all the liquid ingredients, but start with 3/4 of the white flour. Knead in enough of the reserved white flour and any additional to get bread dough of proper consistency.
              2). Whole wheat bread. Use all the flour and all the liquid. Let the dough rest for 10-15 minutes at least. Add more liquid to get dough of proper consistency. Use additional flour if needed but that doesn't happen very often.

I have read recipes for white bread with the stand mixer which starts with using all the flour and reserving a portion of the water. The water is added until the dough is a proper consistency. If necessary additional water is added.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I mix most breads longer in the mixer than I used to, I concluded most of them weren't getting sufficiently developed.

In an online class last year, the instructor used a piece of parchment wrapped around the top of the bowl to keep the flour from spilling out.

When I make semolina bread it is a two-stage bread, so I make the flying starter in the mixing bowl. After it has matured, I add the rest of the flour and other ingredients, including more water, then wrap the parchment around the bowl for the first minute or so of kneading to keep the counter clean.

Then I fold the parchment to fit my 3/4 sheet pan. The parchment is 16x24, the pan is 14x21. I don't have a good use for 2 or 3 inch wide parchment strips or I'd tear them off. Maybe I'll try to use several of them them to line the loaf pans for zucchini bread to keep it from sticking.

BakerAunt
                Participant

I do not usually bake 100% wholegrain breads, although I do have a couple of recipes that I like. My breads are usually 60 % wholegrain or sometimes 75%. After mixing the wet ingredients (except for the oil!), I add all the wholegrain flour, and sometimes some of the bread flour. I mix, then let it rest for 15 minutes, so that the wholegrain flours absorb the liquid. I mix the salt with the rest of the bread flour. If it is a new recipe, I hold back part of the bread flour initially. I might at this point change to the dough spiral. After mixing in the flour on speed 2, I slowly add the oil while the mixer is running.

Like Mike, I have discovered that I need to let the mixer knead longer than the stated time, especially with bread flour, and I use the third speed on my Cuisinart for kneading, although the instructions with the machine said second speed. I usually check after 6 minutes, then give it more time to get to where I can pull a windowpane.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

For any bread I've made several times, I go by eye and ear as much as by the windowpane test. I can look at the dough then listen to how it is slapping around in the mixer and have a pretty good idea when it is sufficiently developed.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

Hi, Skeptic--I recall in another thread that you were asking how people cope with recipes that have a large amount of dough that might be too much for a smaller mixer. I have no direct experience, as mine can handle large loads. However, I recall that Chocomouse uses a bread machine, not a mixer for her breads, and I think that she said that she does half at a time. Perhaps she can weigh in with advice on the matter.

chocomouse
                      Participant

I do use a bread machine for mixing and kneading bread dough. But I've never done half at a time. Actually, I've found I can increase the amount of flour (including whole grains, seeds, nuts, etc) to around 6 cups and still get excellent results. My current machine is a (inexpensive) Hamilton Beach, and I'm sure it won't last as long as using it to mix only 4 cups of flour. But I can get 2 loaves of bread out of it.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

Sorry for the misinformation, Chocomouse. Maybe someone else has an answer for Skeptic.

I have found that my used Zo bread machine can also handle almost 6 cups of flour, although I only have used it for single loaves, since most of my 2-loaves recipes take more grains than that.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.