Hershey’s Chocolate Cake?

Home Forums Baking — Desserts Hershey’s Chocolate Cake?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    RiversideLen
    Participant

The boxes of Hershey's cocoa powder have a recipe for chocolate cake. It says to, after you mix eggs, milk and oil to the dry ingredients for 2 minutes, to add in a cup of boiling water. Has anyone ever made this kind of cake? My concern is that adding boiling water to the mix that contains eggs would cook the eggs. Otherwise the recipe looks pretty straightforward to me.

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

As long as you stir it in as you're adding it, I don't think it will overcook the egg, which has already been mixed in with other ingredients.

I'm not sure if I've made that exact recipe but I've made a similar one from the Hershey's cookbook. But the crazy cake/cake-in-the-pan recipe is so good and so easy to make, that's pretty much our go-to chocolate cake.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

Len I've made this cake before and it was very good,been a long time ago but I did just as it was written.

skeptic7
          Participant

I've made this cake before and it turns out well. I don't know why the egg doesn't cook but since it is already mixed in there is no worry about pieces of cooked egg seperating out. The only problem I had was when the oven temperature was too high, this was before I bought an oven thermometer.

RiversideLen
            Participant

I made it over the weekend. I baked it for 12 minutes longer than the instructions suggested. The cake domed while baking (which is what I expect) but then as it cooled the dome sank. The top of bottom of the cake appeared wet. The baked cake did not have a lot of volume. Not sure if I did something wrong. Debating over whether or not to try it one more time.

skeptic7
              Participant

The doming and then collapsing sounds like the oven temperature was too high. How did you test to see if the cake was baked long enough? What did it taste like?

Joan Simpson
                Participant

Riverside Len I have a recipe that comes from Just a pinch by Cassie called Lil' Chocolate Cake.I bake this when wanting a chocolate cake and it's the best I've ever made and so easy.It makes one 8 inch round or square pan and mine never domes up.Looks just flat as a bakery cake.When I want 2 layers I just double everything and it's fine.I sub a cup of black coffee for the cup of hot water.Here's the recipe:
                  Lil' Chocolate Cake
                  1-cup a.p. flour
                  1-cup sugar
                  1-cup hot water ( I use hot black coffee)
                  1/2-cup Hershey's baking Cocoa (I like special dark)
                  1-tsp.baking powder
                  1-tsp.baking soda
                  1-egg
                  1/4-cup melted butter
                  1.Preheat oven to 350* grease and flour 8" baking round or square pan.
                  2.In medium bowl combine 1st six ingredients
                  3.Add egg and butter and mix well.4.Pour in pan-Bake @350* for 30 -35 minutes or toothpick tests done.Cool .Can just dust with powder sugar but I frost mine with chocolate icing.You can double all ingredients and have a 2 layer cake or a 9x12 sheet cake pan.Trust me this is a good cake and you'll have everything on hand.Mix up all with spoon or I use a whisk,no mixer needed.

RiversideLen
                  Participant

Skeptic, my oven runs about 10 degrees cool at 350 degrees and I don't compensate for it (assuming the thermometer is correct) so I don't think that was the case. One thing I have thought of is since the measurements were in volume rather than weight, if I might have been a little light with the flour. The cake tasted fine.

Thanks for the recipe, Joan, I might give it a try.

I have a recipe that works pretty good but it calls for a cup and a quarter of oil so I was interested in the Hershey recipe as it uses less. I often sub out a half cup of Greek style yogurt for an equal amount of oil and that works pretty good too.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.