Guidelines On Converting Conventional Bread Recipes To Salt Free by bivs99

Home Forums Recipes Guidelines On Converting Conventional Bread Recipes To Salt Free by bivs99

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    rottiedogs
    Participant

Guidelines On Converting Conventional Bread Recipes To Salt Free
      Submitted by bivs99 on September 14, 2003 at 9:07 pm

DESCRIPTION
      Guidelines on converting conventional bread recipes to salt-free

SUMMARY
      Yield 0 File under Yeast Bread/Rolls (not sourdough)

INSTRUCTIONS
      1. Salt actually inhibits yeast. Therefore, when you take out the salt (and don't worry, you CAN take it all out--I do) you must reduce the yeast considerably. For breads that contain some fat (like sandwich breads), I generally start by cutting the yeast in half. For lean breads like French, bagels, etc., I usually cut it by 75%.

2. Even when you reduce the yeast, the dough often rises faster than the recipe specifies, so watch it very carefully. THIS IS ESPECIALLY TRUE IN THE BREAD MACHINE. The first time you make a recipe, check the dough frequently long before the time is up. (If you raise it too long, it can collapse.) For subsequent batches, you can reduce the yeast further to slow the rise (I do this in 1/4 teaspoon increments) or just make the bread faster. For artisan-type breads and those that need a long rise to develop flavor (French, bagels) I cut the yeast; for sandwich breads and pizza dough, I just let it rise faster.

3. For the reasons I just mentioned, I do not recommend BAKING the bread in a bread machine. (I have a Breadman which cannot be programmed to vary the time.) I use mine only to mix and raise the dough, and I then bake it in bread pans. As well as giving you more control over the timing, this gives you a much better appearance and texture.

4. To improve the flavor of salt-free bread a bit, I throw in a few shakes of potassium chloride salt substitute with the dry ingredients. NOTE: do not overdo it or the bread will have an unpleasant metallic taste. Also check with your doctor to make sure you can use this (people with kidney problems sometimes cannot). Even if you have to (or choose to) leave this out, the flavor will be quite good.

5. Salt-free whole wheat bread rises better if you add some vital wheat gluten to the flour (use about one tablespoon per cup of flour). This can be ordered from the Baker's Catalogue, or found in health food stores.

6. Salt-free bread goes stale MUCH faster than salted (it only lasts a day or so), because the salt is a preservative. I slice mine as soon as it's cool and store it in the freezer. If this is impractical, a tablespoon of white vinegar added to the recipe will extend the shelf life somewhat.

7. An excellent introduction to salt-free breads can be found in the "No Salt, Lowest-Sodium Cookbook" by Don Gazzaniga. (You can buy it on amazon.com.) Do NOT buy his second book (No Salt, Lowest Sodium Baking Book) because the recipes call for all kinds of weird ingredients that are just not necessary. Once you get experienced with this you can easily adapt "regular" recipes for yourself.

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.