GrapeNuts Bread

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    rottiedogs
    Participant

GrapeNuts Bread
      dachshundlady
      I found this recipe in Donna German's Bread Machine Cookbook (bought it at thrift store for 99c). I subbed Malted Barley syrup for the sugar, added a little KAF Whole Grain Improver and added KAF Malted Wheat Flakes. I made the dough in the bread machine and then rose and baked in a terra cotta flower pot saucer. It is just delicious and has a nice crumb.

Grape Nuts Bread
      This makes a medium-size loaf.
      1 1/3 cups water
      3 tablespoons vegetable oil
      3 tablespoons malted barley syrup (or honey, maple syrup) or you can add a few Tablespoons of Malted Milk Powder into the flour. I do both.
      2 teaspoon salt
      1 cup Grape Nuts Cereal, dry
      3 cups bread flour
      2 teas vital wheat gluten or KAF Whole Grain Bread Improver
      1/3 cup KAF malted wheat flakes, opt.
      2 teaspoons yeast
      Use dough cycle. Add more flour or water as needed. At the end it should be tacky, not sticky. Cereal absorbs liquid as the machine kneads it. After first rise, form into loaf (I made a boule and placed it in a buttered round terra cotta pan).
      Let rise about 30 minutes and preheat oven to 350F
      Bake 35-45 til thunks or registers 190F on thermometer
      Tip out of pan and cool on rack
      badge posted by: dachshundlady on August 16, 2013 at 7:37 pm in General discussions
      share on: Twitter, Facebook
      Subscribe to: This post
      REPLIES TO THIS DISCUSSION
      Save
      Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save" to activate your changes.
      reply by: dachshundlady on September 14, 2013 at 11:42 am
      dachshundlady
      Yes, the toast is great and would be even better with raisins. And I could still eat open face cheese sandwiches on raisin bread.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: karen_noll on September 14, 2013 at 10:37 am
      karen_noll
      Makes great toast, too!
      Karen
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: dachshundlady on September 14, 2013 at 3:49 am
      dachshundlady
      Ill have to try it with raisins. Sounds so good. All I brought this weekend was plum cake. I love the taste of cooked Italian plums
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: omaria on September 13, 2013 at 8:14 pm
      omaria
      DHL, you did not bring any of it ? My 2 loaves are very nice.The hump on the 3rd one turned out to be air. about 1 1/2 inch gap between the crust and the rest of the bread. I rolled the dough out, sprinkled the raisins and cranberries on the dough and rolled it up.Maybe my rolling up was not tight enough. But we ate 1 slice and the flavor is delicious.So it certainly will be eaten.LOL.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: dachshundlady on September 13, 2013 at 5:58 pm
      dachshundlady
      Mmm, wish I had a loaf here in the motor home on my field trial weekend.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: omaria on September 13, 2013 at 5:30 pm
      omaria
      It turned into 3 loaves. The 2 went into 8x4 pans and the raisin one in a 9x5. The 2 look beautiful. The raisin bread has a camels hump in the middle of the loaf. That one is still in the oven. I wonder if it is just air or if there really is bread in the middle. We will see later I guess.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: karen_noll on September 13, 2013 at 2:52 pm
      karen_noll
      Great minds and all that! Mine is cooling as we speak. Had to run a quick errand when it came out of the oven, and when I came back, I could smell the bread as soon as I came off the elevator. Divine......
      Karen
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: omaria on September 13, 2013 at 2:11 pm
      omaria
      I am making 2 of these loaves as we speak. Mixer is doing its merry dance. Set the timer for 6 minutes and will check the dough after that. Added 1 cup of starter along with the yeast. Most likely will add raisins and cranberries to one loaf. Used butter instead of oil and only 1 tbs. of honey. Am totally out of sweetener stuff except for sugar. Added another 4 minutes to the timer.(Timer is on the mixer, I like that ). I will let you know how it all turns out.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: karen_noll on September 13, 2013 at 6:34 am
      karen_noll
      Thanks!
      Karen
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: dachshundlady on September 12, 2013 at 8:42 pm
      dachshundlady
      I put 3 tablespoons in the bottom of the flour measuring cup and then fill with flour.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: karen_noll on September 12, 2013 at 7:17 am
      karen_noll
      Funny you should bring this up again. I just got Grape Nuts when I food shopped yesterday, printed out the recipe, and was planning on making it today. How much malted milk powder did you use?
      Karen
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: dachshundlady on September 12, 2013 at 6:52 am
      dachshundlady
      Passing on a tip from another thread. Grape Nuts nugget cereal is on sale this week (9/12/13) for $1.99 at Walgreens.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: dachshundlady on August 30, 2013 at 8:04 am
      dachshundlady
      I made this again but left out the flakes and added malted milk powder. It is SUCH a great bread. Wonderful taste and terrific texture. Sliced the warm loaf and made a fried egg sandwich for supper with fresh salad. Perfect.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: Mike Nolan on August 18, 2013 at 11:12 am
      Mike Nolan
      Well, that's one way to deal with over-proofing. 🙂
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: dachshundlady on August 18, 2013 at 6:55 am
      dachshundlady
      Sheryle, in my used copy the previous owner wrote "rose high and then fell- decrease applesauce by 1/3"
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: Sheryle on August 17, 2013 at 10:36 pm
      Sheryle
      I have that cookbook, bought it when I got my first bread machine years ago. I've made serveral recipes from it, one of my favorites is the Applesauce Bread. Once the bread starts to get a little stale, it makes great french toast!
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: Mike Nolan on August 17, 2013 at 2:19 pm
      Mike Nolan
      Looks like the copies I have of volume 1. (I bought a second copy though I still have the first one that is falling apart but stil has a number of notes I made on it.)
      Volumes 2-6 are, IMHO, not as interesting.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: dachshundlady on August 17, 2013 at 1:56 pm
      dachshundlady
      The copyright says 1991 so it may be the old one. But I always adjust recipes anyway. I can tell by the feel with bread and what I posted is my version. If you try it, please do the same.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: karen_noll on August 17, 2013 at 8:05 am
      karen_noll
      Thanks for posting this, sounds great! I'll have to keep an eye out for that book. Seeing it in the photo reminds me that I have seen it around, so I'll keep looking. For anyone else looking to add this book to their library and are looking for a used copy, when I checked it out on Amazon, there was a warning about which version of this book was preferable. If you bought the original book (published prior to 2005), some reviewers had multiple failures following the recipes as written. The ingredient amounts underwent a huge revision for the 2005 edition and produced much better results. I can see by the cover of your book that you have the "good" version. I suspect the revisions had a lot to do with how newer bread machines work and changes to ingredients over the years, but it's good to know, anyway. The overwhelming opinion of most of the reviewers was resoundingly positive.
      Karen
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: dachshundlady on August 17, 2013 at 7:12 am
      dachshundlady
      I just posted the recipe I came up with under the pictures. As usual I altered the one in the cookbook. It makes GREAT toast. Some of you might like it sweeter. If you use sugar or brown sugar you would have to use less flour than with the syrups or honey. I just adjust as the machine kneads.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: dachshundlady on August 17, 2013 at 3:06 am
      dachshundlady
      Mike I found your Austrian Malt Bread in this same cookbook. I almost used the Carnation malted milk powder in this bread and then opted for the stronger stuff. And I LOVE malted wheat flakes. Eat them right out of the bag.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: Mike Nolan on August 16, 2013 at 11:58 pm
      Mike Nolan
      Very nice looking bread. I'm in a bit of a rut here, aside from some GF bread I haven't tried a new bread recipe in months.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: omaria on August 16, 2013 at 11:24 pm
      omaria
      Just perfect looking bread. I made a loaf in the crockpot baking pan. It was a little pale on top so put it under the broiler for a few minutes. It was very good bread also. . But your crumb is just perfect.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: robinwaban on August 16, 2013 at 9:02 pm
      robinwaban
      That bread looks beautiful. I'm going shopping with you. I can't believe the bargains you find! I went to the Salvation Army and found nothing. Maybe I should look for yard sales.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: Naughtysquirrel on August 16, 2013 at 8:04 pm
      Naughtysquirrel
      I'm not sure of my recipe's origin but I have made this a few times and like it...NS

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.