Good Cookies by Beachdee

Home Forums Recipes Good Cookies by Beachdee

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

COOKIES/BARS - Good Cookies
      Submitted by beachdee on February 09, 2011 at 2:51 am

Another old family favorite. Keeps well, freezes well. Not exactly health food but not bad, as cookies go...at least there's some fiber in there!

• 1 cup shortening/fat...at least 1/2 cup as butter; your choice on the other 1/2 cup
      • 1 cup white sugar
      • 1 cup brown sugar
      • 2 eggs
      • 1 tsp vanilla
      • 2 cups flour
      • 1/2 tsp baking powder
      • 1 tsp baking soda
      • 1/2 tsp salt
      • 2 cups rolled oats (oatmeal, either regular or quick-cook, but not instant)
      • 2 cups Wheaties cold cereal flakes
      • 1 cup shredded/flaked coconut

Cream together the shortening and sugars. Beat in the eggs and vanilla until fluffy.

Sift together the next four dry ingredients and stir into the butter mixture.

Add the oats, cereal, and coconut. Mix well but don't overbeat it. Chill dough at least a few hours.

Drop by spoonfuls onto cookie sheet and bake at 350°F for 10 - 12 minutes.

Makes a bunch (I forget how many, and card doesn't say) and freezes well. Also fairly sturdy so good for shipping -- good snack for hungry students, etc.!

comments
      Submitted by beachdee on Wed, 2011-02-09 03:52.
      I haven't made these in years...but you can bet I'll be making some soon, now that I dug out this recipe!!

Submitted by --jej on Tue, 2011-02-22 06:01.
      beachdee, I see that these bars take Wheaties. I have some corn flakes that I bought purposely for some drop cookies, but they were a huge mistake. I'm now left with half a box of the corn flakes, and it would be nice to find a really good way to use them. Yes? (or no?) Thanks. --jej

Submitted by beachdee on Wed, 2011-02-23 01:26.
      As a matter of fact, jej, I don't buy "mainstream" stuff anymore and just found a box of Organic corn flakes and bought them with the express idea to try subbing them in...the flavor will be different, as the Wheaties did give a distinctive, hearty "wheaties" taste. But I think the corn flakes will be delicious in their own right. Go for it! And please let me know what you think. I'll post here if I ever get around to doing the same.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by BakerAunt.
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.