Home Forums Recipes English Muffins by beabaker

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    rottiedogs
    Participant

English Muffins
      Submitted by beabaker on October 27, 2010 at 1:39 pm

DESCRIPTION
      Delicious, easy english muffins with just the right amount of tang!

SUMMARY
      Yield 0 File under english muffins

INGREDIENTS
      1 cup butter milk (used b-milk powder in w/flour and water seperate)
      1 tbsp butter
      1 tbsp sugar or honey
      1 packet (2¼ tsp) dry yeast
      2 cups flour
      ½ tsp salt
      Heat the buttermilk to simmering (i used b-milk powder so heated only water - powder gets mixed in with flour), then drop in the butter and the sugar or honey. Stir so they melt and combine, and let the mixture cool. When it’s lukewarm, sprinkle in the yeast, stir, and let it sit for 10 minutes until bubbly. Use a glass bowl.
      While that’s happening, measure out the flour and salt and mix together well. When the yeast mixture is bubbly, add the flour (and b-milk powder if using that) and beat for a couple minutes. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it sit on the counter (not in the refrigerator) overnight or all day. It will overproof – rise and collapse. This is what creates the English muffin’s characteristic sourdough taste and large bubbles.
      In the morning, scrape the sides of the bowl and remix a little. I used a size 16 (20 would be better)scoop to drop muffin-size globs into a small bowl of cornmeal. Don’t try to handle the dough – it’s too sticky. Lift each muffin glob from the cornmeal with a slotted spatula, shake off the excess, and place in an ungreased skillet. Or, If your using greased rings, put on ungreased pan, sprinkle corn meal and drop into them.
      When the skillet is full, cover it with a towel and let rise for 20-30 minutes. They will only rise a little bit. Set your stove’s burner to medium-low. Let them cook for 6-8 minutes per side (turn them when they start getting golden brown).DON'T cook too fast or they will burn. When using rings, cover with light weight cookie sheet while cooking.
      When the second side is browned, remove the muffins to a cooling rack and let them cool completely, then fork split and toast up and enjoy!
      As I'm on a mission, please try this and tell me how you like them and maybe what we can do better - this is an adventure!
      ps original recipe called for plain milk - i thought b-milk would give them the tang i wanted.

INSTRUCTIONS
      Heat the buttermilk to simmering (i used b-milk powder so heated only water - powder gets mixed in with flour), then drop in the butter and the sugar or honey. Stir so they melt and combine, and let the mixture cool. When it’s lukewarm, sprinkle in the yeast, stir, and let it sit until bubbly. Glass bowl is best.
      Measure out the flour and salt and mix together well. When the yeast mixture is bubbly, add the flour (and b-milk powder if using that) and beat for a couple minutes. Cover the bowl with a towel and let it sit on the counter (not in the refrigerator) overnight or all day. It will overproof – rise and collapse. This is what creates the English muffin’s characteristic sourdough taste and large bubbles.
      In the morning, scrape the sides of the bowl and remix a little. I used a size 16 (20 would be better)scoop to drop muffin-size globs into a small bowl of cornmeal. Don’t try to handle the dough – it’s too sticky. Lift each muffin glob from the cornmeal with a slotted spatula, shake off the excess, and place in an ungreased skillet. Or, If your using greased rings, put on ungreased pan, sprinkle corn meal and drop into them.
      When the skillet is full, cover it with a towel and let rise for 20-30 minutes. They will only rise a little bit. Set your stove’s burner to medium-low. Let them cook for 6-8 minutes per side (turn them when they start getting golden brown).DON'T cook too fast or they will burn. When using rings, cover with light weight cookie sheet while cooking.
      When the second side is browned, remove the muffins to a cooling rack and let them cool completely, then fork split and toast up and enjoy!
      As I'm on a mission, please try this and tell me how you like them and maybe what we can do better - this is an adventure!
      ps original recipe called for plain milk - i thought b-milk would give them the tang i wanted.

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.