Daily Quiz for February 27, 2020

Home Forums Followups to Daily Quizzes Daily Quiz for February 27, 2020

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

True or false: You cannot do a chiffonade cut on celery stalks.

[See the full post at: Daily Quiz for February 27, 2020]

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

Got it,learned this watching cooking shows.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by Joan Simpson.
        BakerAunt
        Participant

I chose the correct answer also, based on what I know about the word in a non-cooking context.

We still don't have television in the house. Because of the density of houses in the area, a digital antenna won't pick up signals. We can get antenna TV--and blessedly, PBS--in the apt., but that leaves out all the cable shows, and when it snows, we are not so eager to cross the yard to the apt. We're waiting for the elder son to visit in the spring and get us up to speed on technology for the house.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by BakerAunt.
          skeptic7
          Participant

I looked up "chiffonade" on the internet. I wasn't sure of the word.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Is there no cable operator? Satellite dishes should still work, or you could go the streaming services route assuming you've got enough Internet bandwidth for it, though IMHO that's starting to be as expensive as the other options.

It cracks me up that one of the streaming services advertises a lot on the Game Show Network, but that's not one of the channels they provide.

Aside from sports, the channels we watch the most are the Game Show Network and some of the channels showing reruns of old syndicated shows. Project Runway is probably the only series in current production that we watch, and it isn't on one of the major networks. I used to watch the Food Network a lot, but there's not much cooking information there any more. I've lost interest in the cooking competition shows, though I will occasionally watch Chopped, mainly to see what weird ingredients they make them use. (A few Chopped episodes have led to quiz questions here.)

BakerAunt
              Participant

We could get cable but are unsure whether a streaming services, which my elder stepson thinks is the wave of the future, would be the better choice. One of the issues with Cable is that the company bundles the choices, and we often find ourselves with channels we will never watch, and not necessarily getting the ones we want to watch. I think that satellite dish companies are the same way. Curiously, we are in an "ABC" desert, even a digital antenna will not pick that station up here. We did figure out how to stream the PBS News Hour and the Democratic Primary Debates on the computer.

My husband's wish list is the Weather Channel (although it has gone downhill since its glory days), and whatever channel shows Formula 1 racing. I wouldn't mind the SciFi Channel, classic film, and the BBC, and whatever channel shows bicycle racing--at least Le Tour de France. It might be nice to pick up the Chicago PBS. My husband would like to be able to watch the occasional football game that isn't on NBC or CBS.

We will also need to figure out what television to buy, which is confusing as figuring out cable vs. streaming.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

The bundling costs with multiple streaming services are getting to be as expensive if not more so than from the cable and satellite companies.

We get our primary internet access from the cable company.

We call it the 'anything but weather' channel around here. At least on cable you still get local weather updates a few times an hour on the weather channel, but to be honest I look at the weather apps on my iPhone most of the time. Yeah, they're probably logging my access and selling it, I don't lose sleep over that. Google and Facebook already know more about you than you do!

RiversideLen
                  Participant

Re streaming, I have a Roku (the least expensive one they offer) on 2 TV's and an Amazon Fire stick on another. They both offer the same and different content. And the offerings are different than what's offered on the smart TV streaming apps. I used to watch Netflix on the smart TV but when I got the Roku on it I starting using it instead. I liked the presentation better and found it more reliable. And then there are stations that you can subscribe to (besides Netflix) and there are also stations that you can get for free provided you also have them on your cable subscription. For example, Turner Classic Movies and many others. On the Amazon Fire I can get ABC and NBC, including live content, for free. CBS is also available including live content but for a fee. The Amazon Fire also has a web browser. So, it's six of one and a half dozen of another.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.