Dachshundlady’s Big Chewy Oatmeal Cookies

Home Forums Threads Saved from the KAF Baking Circle Dachshundlady’s Big Chewy Oatmeal Cookies

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    rottiedogs
    Participant

Dachshundlady's Big Chewy Oatmeal Cookies
      Livingwell
      May I say yummy?!?! I have been meaning to make these since MaryAnn recommended them to me *last year*. There's no time like the present, right?, so I made them this morning. They have to be the best oatmeal cookies I've ever made! They met all my criteria for an oatmeal cookie in that they were thick, chewy, and delicious! I followed MaryAnn's instructions to the letter except for two things: 1. I only used 1 tsp. cinnamon because I use Penzeys Extra Fancy Vietnamese Cinnamon, which is *extremely* strong, and I didn't want the cinnamon to overwhelm the flavor of the oats (and I could have used a tad less). 2. I used 1-1/2 C. semisweet chocolate chips instead of raisins because himself's favorite cookie is oatmeal and mine is chocolate chip, and this way we both get what we want. I love the texture and chewiness from using both rolled oats and quick-cooking. They baked up at exactly 13 minutes in my oven, even though I was a little hesitant to take them out when they still looked so wet in the middles. I needn't have worried, though - they are perfect! Rolling the dough into 1-1/2 inch balls made fifty 2-1/4 inch cookies that are just shy of 1/4-inch thick. I think next time I will do a couple of things differently. I will only use 1 C. of chips or try the cookies as straight oatmeal with no add-ins, and I will roll the dough into 2-inch balls for bigger cookies. This recipe proves once again that you find the best recipes from other bakers instead of out of cookbooks! Thank you, MaryAnn, for sharing your recipe! I think I just found a new favorite oatmeal cookie. Himself took a picture and up loaded it for me so you can see how nicely they came out. ( I don't know why the title didn't come out capitalized, as it was when he typed it out.)
      badge posted by: Livingwell on February 05, 2014 at 2:24 pm in General discussions
      share on: Twitter, Facebook
      Subscribe to: This post
      REPLIES TO THIS DISCUSSION
      Save
      Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save" to activate your changes.
      reply by: swirth on February 05, 2014 at 6:56 pm
      swirth
      For so many years on the oldBC, this KAF recipe was always getting rave reviews...it is from their Cookie Companion Cookie Cookbook:
      -
      http://onebrightcorner.blogspot.com/2012/03/one-and-only-oatmeal-cookie....
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: robinwaban on February 05, 2014 at 6:26 pm
      robinwaban
      Made the cookies called Farmhouse Oatmeal Cookies. It called for 6 oz. butter melted and then added to 2c. Oatmeal and 1tbsp. Water. I had to let the oatmeal absorb the butter and water for 5 minutes, then add 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1.5 c. brown sugar, 1/4 tsp cinnamon and 1/8 tsp salt and stir vigorously. Then add 1 egg and 1 cup of raisins, stir vigorously. Then 5 oz. APF. I used a 1.5 in diameter scoop and baked at 350. They were "perfect" as noted by DH. This recipe instructed me to use dark raisins, rinsed, and patted dry. Never saw that before!
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: Livingwell on February 05, 2014 at 3:23 pm
      Livingwell
      Cass, here is the link to Dachshundlady's oatmeal cookie recipe:
      http://community.kingarthurflour.com/content/big-chewy-oatmeal-cookies
      Be forewarned, though, they are addictive! Between your cake recipes and MaryAnn's cookie recipe, I got three new recipes that are better than those I've tried out of cookbooks recently. Now I have friends to think of when I make their recipes, and that makes me happy.
      Robin, our snowblower broke (again!) a few years ago, so we hired a snow plowing business. It's nice not to have to do it, but we have to wait until they get around to us, and that wasn't until noon today!
      I have seen other cookie recipes that call for melting the butter first, but it's gotten mixed reviews on the results. Does melting the butter make the cookies soft and chewy? If you try it, please post your results. I trust the opinions of people I know more than I do reviewers I don't know.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: robinwaban on February 05, 2014 at 2:55 pm
      robinwaban
      Torture, torture, torture!!! It's snowing here in Boston and I went out with my beloved snowblower twice already. My treat is to bake something sinful. Is it your cookie recipe? Took Nancy Baggett's Simply Sensational Cookies cookbook from the library. I liked it so much I ordered it. She recommends melting the butter in the microwave so that it's melted, but still has some of it's shape. She does this instead of creaming normally room temp butter with sugar. Very interesting concept. I'm anxious to try it. She has wonderful cook books and I trust her methodology.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: KIDPIZZA on February 05, 2014 at 2:50 pm
      KIDPIZZA
      LIVINGWELL:
      Good morning friend. Tell me Penelope, where would one find this fine recipe if one wanted to view it fior possible production...HMMMMM.
      I am very happy Penelope that you did a fine job in this baking project.
      Have a nice day my friend.
      ~CASS.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: Livingwell on February 05, 2014 at 2:36 pm
      Livingwell
      Ghensel, mine have crispy edges, but the rest of the cookies are chewy. I had to put them in the freezer because I couldn't stop eating them!
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: ghensel33 on February 05, 2014 at 2:29 pm
      ghensel33
      My husband loves these cookies. Your post made me realize I baked them too long. They came out rather cripsy this time.

big chewy oatmeal cookies
      Submitted by dachshundlady on February 15, 2013 at 8:00 am

DESCRIPTION
      Original recipe came from a little bakery in Vermont. I have tweaked it a bit but we sure love them. If not overbaked, they are chewy and slightly thick. The secret is adding a small proportion of quick oats to the mix.

add to my Recipe Box Tweet this post to Facebook
      SUMMARY
      Yield 45 cookies File under baking, desserts and sweets
      INGREDIENTS
      1/2 cup soft butter(I use salted)
      1/2 cup Crisco
      1 1/4 cup brown sugar
      1/3 cup white sugar
      1/4 cup honey

1 egg plus 1 yolk
      1 1/2 teas vanilla

1 1/3 cup AP flour
      scant 3/4 teas salt
      3/4 teas baking powder
      1 1/2 teas cinnamon

2 3/4 cups rolled oats
      1 1/4 cup quick oats

1 1/2 - 2 cups plumped raisins (dark, golden or both)

INSTRUCTIONS
      Cream fats and sugars in a Kitchen Aid (med hi) for 2-3 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla. Beat for 6-7 minutes*(I beat most of my drop cookies a long time after I add the eggs. You don't have to do this) Have dry ingredients already whisked together and add to wet. Beat on low for about a minute. By hand mix in oatmeals and then raisins.
      I like to leave dough in fridge for an hour before forming and baking.
      Drop by rounded 2Table measure onto parchment lined sheets, about 3" apart.
      Bake Convection 325 for 12-15 depending on your oven
      Regular 350 15-18 depending on your oven
      Cookies should be a little brown on edges and very slightly tan on top but still wet looking and pale in middle.
      Let cool on sheet for 3-4 minutes and remove to cooling racks.

comments
      Submitted by Joan~Ga girl on Sat, 2013-02-16 23:37.
      Sounds good, added to my recipe box will let you know when I bake them.
      Submitted by dachshundlady on Tue, 2013-02-19 07:47.
      Yes, just watch them carefully. If they get too tan they will not be chewy. I have to force myself to take them out while the center still looks a bit wet. Then they sit on sheet for a few minutes so I can transfer them. They cook a bit more as they cool on racks.
      Submitted by dennis93277 on Sun, 2013-03-31 12:46.
      Dachshundlady I made these cookies to take to work. We are total of four guys, and the entire batch was gone in less than a day. I think this shows just how good this recipe is. Thanks for sharing, and I will make them again and again.
      Submitted by dachshundlady on Wed, 2013-05-01 12:11.
      Glad you guys liked them, point man.
      Submitted by mike cronin on Tue, 2013-04-23 00:30.
      mike cronin will win the Ca. state fair this yr with gluten free cookies
      2 kinds, one from BOB'S Red Mill soy flour Witch has served me well in the past. you may check the records Ca.State fair. Road in on my laurals last year Sorry bob we only took 2nd last Yr.it want happen again
      well King Arthur this is how i see it . I slip your gluten free flour in where i put bobs flour This should make one first place cookie C U AT THE FAIR
      Ca. FAIR THAT IS

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.