cinnamon swirl bread and cinnabon rolls

Home Forums Threads Saved from the KAF Baking Circle cinnamon swirl bread and cinnabon rolls

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    rottiedogs
    Participant

cinnamon swirl bread and cinnabon rolls

Wonky
      Made 2 loaves of cinnamon swirl bread, and a 9x13 pan of the cinnabon rolls today (both recipes from this site)..OMG...melt in your mouth good. Had neighbors and family in and out most of the day (everyone out and about enjoying the beautiful weather) Needless to say...all is gone. If you haven't made these goodies before...you are missing out.

Wonky

badge posted by: Wonky on May 02, 2012 at 10:38 pm in Baking, yeast
      Replies to this discussion

reply by: KitchenBarbarian aka Zen on May 02, 2012 at 11:05 pm
      KitchenBarbarian aka Zen
      Wonky, it is apparently your mission in life to set me to uncontrollable drooling! LOL!

reply by: omaria on May 02, 2012 at 11:28 pm
      omaria
      Wonky, don't worry about it. It does not take much to get Zen drooling. LOL.

reply by: KitchenBarbarian aka Zen on May 03, 2012 at 12:56 am
      KitchenBarbarian aka Zen
      Well probably not right now.

Diet ... no cinnabuns for me!

Heck I have a definite Pavlovian response just at the sight of a Thomas's bagel ... LOL!

reply by: Wonky on May 03, 2012 at 8:21 am
      Wonky
      Zen..sorry about that, but I just couldn't resist. Have you tried either recipe? Wonky

reply by: Wonky on May 03, 2012 at 8:23 am
      Wonky
      Omaria...should we continue to tempt her? Wonky

reply by: srizilla on May 04, 2012 at 5:50 pm
      srizilla
      you referring to the cinna-buns recipe? yeah, oh my GOD is it good. my husband ADORED these, said they were better than the originals (which he has a weakness for). i like cinnamon rolls but am not usually particular tempted by them but these were out of this world. sorry, zen. =) haven't tried the cinnamon swirl bread though..

reply by: mumpy on May 05, 2012 at 4:17 pm
      mumpy
      dunno if you got to zen, but you got to me....had to make cinnamon bread today!....baking right now and smelling wonderful!

reply by: KitchenBarbarian aka Zen on May 05, 2012 at 7:23 pm
      KitchenBarbarian aka Zen
      NO! Holding firm! 6 lbs down - 19 to go.

Well 90 to go - in my dreams!

reply by: mumpy on May 05, 2012 at 9:02 pm
      mumpy
      and you don't need to worry about the lost weight....it isn't lost...i have it, and i'm taking very good care of it and keeping it close to me!

if you know anyone who wants it, they can stop by and get it anytime!

reply by: srizilla on May 05, 2012 at 9:14 pm
      srizilla
      hah! i love it!

reply by: tarrka1089 on May 05, 2012 at 9:24 pm
      tarrka1089
      Ok, Wonky and here was I just thinking this evening how I'm not as motivated to bake bread right now with the nice weather - and all the things I need to see if I can physically get done.

Looks like I'm gonna have to give the cinnamon swirl bread a whirl [pun intended] and see if it will still be good after adjusting to make it diabetic-friendly.

: ) Hazel

reply by: Wonky on May 06, 2012 at 10:22 pm
      Wonky
      Tarrka...you will love the bread..I finished off the remainder of a loaf for french toast for Sunday breakfast...WOW. Going to make two more loaves tomorrow, and try to save one for bread pudding (my husbands favorite dessert). It is also wonderful toasted...and then top it off, with butter and sprinkle on some cinnamon sugar. I am not diabetic..but what sort of adjustments do you make?

Also going to make another pan of cinnabon rolls, and 2 loaves of oatmeal/molasses bread. Have all the ingredients on the counter so I can get an early start. The weather here is rainy/gloomy, so will warm up the house baking.

An aside...my hummingbirds returned today, and I had all the feeders out and filled with nectar. They are magnificent little creatures. Wonky

reply by: tarrka1089 on May 08, 2012 at 11:29 pm
      tarrka1089
      The biggest adjustment is the sugar - switch out with Splenda blend (50/50 sugar & granulated Splenda sugar substitute). I was using just granulated Splenda which is completely a sugar substitute, but it does dry out baked goods.

I've also switched out some of the oil for unsweetened applesauce to make baked goods healthier. Same goes with flour - though having learned from this site and other bakers, white whole wheat and whole wheat have the same carb effect for diabetics. Sourdough is the best at not elevating blood sugar, but it's not always a flavor you want to come through, especially in cinnamon bread or rolls.

: ) Hazel

reply by: cwcdesign on May 09, 2012 at 3:57 am
      cwcdesign
      So, I need to ask -- which Cinnamon Swirl Bread recipe?

reply by: Wonky on May 09, 2012 at 8:36 am
      Wonky
      cwcdesign...it is on this site..if you click on breads in the recipe category, then type in cinnamon bread, it is the fourth recipe down on the right side of the screen. It instructs you to beat an egg with l tablespoon of water, spread it on the rolled out dough, then sprinkle the brown sugar/cinnamon/flour mixture. This really works to hold together the swirl when you cut the bread. Amazing recipe...Wonky

reply by: terlyn on June 30, 2012 at 2:28 pm
      terlyn
      What is the recipe for this? I looked at the 4th one down but I dont think that is it. I'm looking for a good cinnamon roll, cinnamon bread recipe and also a good wheat and white bread. I have never made bread in my ka mixer so I'm a little nervous bout how things will turn out. Thanks, Terry

reply by: pammyowl on June 30, 2012 at 2:47 pm
      pammyowl
      Here is the cinnamon swirl
      http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/cinnamon-swirl-bread-recipe
      Here is a good white bread recipe
      http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/walter-sands-basic-white-bread-re...
      Here is a good WW recipe

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/100-whole-wheat-sandwich-bread-re...
      This is the best caramel/cinnamon roll recip, absolutely fabulous!
      http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/calling-all-cooks/grandma-blairs-peca...

reply by: Wonky on June 30, 2012 at 9:33 pm
      Wonky
      Terry..don't be nervous about making bread in your KA mixer. With a little practice you will be great.

Here is the recipe for the Cinnabon Rolls...absolutely scrumptious. My daughter and her boyfriend and their children went to Wis. Dells last week, and she asked me to make a pan of these rolls to take along and enjoy for breakfast. And, enjoy they did.

Cinnabon Rolls

1 Cup lukewarm milk
      2 eggs - room temp
      1/3 cup butter
      4 & l/2 Cups KA unbleached APF
      1 & 3/4 t. salt
      l/2 C sugar
      2 & 1/2 t. inst. yeast

Combine all ingredients in your KA mixer. When dough starts to pull away from the sides of your bowl, knead on speed 2 for approx 7 minutes. (I always finish with a short hand knead)
      Place dough into a well greased bowl, turn once to grease top. Cover with suran wrap and a clean kitchen towel. Let rise til double in bulk.

Punch dough down and roll to approx a 12 x 16 inch rectangle.

Filling

1/3 Cup butter - softened
      1 Cup Brown Sugar (packed)
      2 - 3 T. cinnamon...depending on your families taste
      Mix brown sugar and cinnamon to combine.

Spread butter on the dough, and then sprinkle filling evenly over.

Roll dough into a tight log, begining with the short side. Slice 12 rolls, and place into a greased or sprayed 9X13 pan. Cover with saran and towel again, and let rise til double in bulk.

Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 20 to 25 min. Tent with foil during last 10 min if rolls begin to darken to much.

Remove rolls from oven, let rest in pan 5 minutes, and then turn out onto a cooling rack. Invert the rolls onto another cooling rack. (so rolls are right side up) Cool

Icing

3 oz cream cheese
      l/4 Cup butter
      l & l/2 Cup Powdered sugar
      l/2 t. pure vanilla

Combine and mix till smooth in your KA mixer with paddle attachment. Spread over cooled rolls.

These rolls freeze beautifully. However, I do not frost before freezing them. I always have several pans in the freezer to pull out when unexpected company arrives.

Enjoy...Wonky

reply by: frick on June 30, 2012 at 9:44 pm
      frick
      Wonky, which 'cinnabon' roll recipe did you use? KA lists 396 cinnamon rolls recipes . . .

reply by: Wonky on June 30, 2012 at 10:56 pm
      Wonky
      Frick...in retrospect, I don't think this recipe was on the KA site, as I can't find it either. However, I have listed the recipe below in response to Terry's request. Hope this helps. I am going to do a little research to see where I came up with this recipe. Wonky

reply by: pammyowl on June 30, 2012 at 11:03 pm
      pammyowl
      http://www.food.com/recipe/cinnabon-cinnamon-rolls-76864

This is a copykat recipe. It looks very close to yours, Wonky!

reply by: srizilla on July 01, 2012 at 10:42 pm
      srizilla
      the cinna-bun recipe is on the site, guys--it's my go-to cinnamon roll recipe and i made a batch this weekend to groans of happiness. =)

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/cinna-buns-recipe

reply by: easyquilts on July 07, 2012 at 1:11 am
      easyquilts
      I make those rolls on a regular basis.... I love the Philly/confectioner'd sugar/ butter topping!

You made me want to bake some cinnamon raisin bread tomorrow.... Can't wait. It makes such good toady...

Sandy

reply by: Mike Nolan on July 07, 2012 at 12:18 pm
      Mike Nolan
      Sandy, which recipe were you referring to?

I don't make cinnamon rolls very often, too much work for a dozen and if I make a large batch then either we eat too many of them or wind up throwing half the batch out after they get hard.

The local artisan bakery makes a pretty good cinnamon roll, and there's a vendor at the Sunday farmers market who makes a maple pecan roll using laminated dough that my wife likes a lot.

I used to make cinnamon raisin bread in the Zo (using applesauce, sour cream or yogurt, sometimes all three), but I haven't made it in 8 or 9 years.

reply by: KitKat79 on July 11, 2012 at 9:46 pm
      KitKat79
      Hi,

This is the cinnamon roll recipe I've been using for the last decade: http://www.copykat.com/2009/02/06/cinnabons-buns-from-heaven/

Instead of the glaze given in that recipe, I use this one instead: http://www.copykat.com/2009/03/27/cinnabon-frosting/

Being a dairy farmer's daughter, I do use real butter instead of margarine for the frosting. I have found that I can get away with a half recipe as it makes so much.

Every single time I've introduce someone new to these, I've gotten rave reviews. πŸ™‚

The baked rolls (and the frosting) both freeze incredibly well. I tend to invividually wrap the rolls in parchment or wax paper, freeze, and then put them down in a big ziplock. The frosting, I portion out into just enough for a few rolls at a time.

reply by: KitchenBarbarian aka Zen on July 11, 2012 at 11:23 pm
      KitchenBarbarian aka Zen
      So many cinnamon buns ... so little time ...

*sigh*

reply by: puppyfuzz on July 28, 2012 at 9:24 am
      puppyfuzz
      I've always used the copykat recipe as my basic cinn roll, adding various other goodies (caramel, etc). And I do use non dairy margarine. I've never had anything less than raves from those I've gifted these rolls to, so I really have no complaints.
      But I was just wondering if anyone has made both the copykat AND Ree Drummond's recipe (aka Pioneer Woman). Her recipe is quite different....was curious how the final products differ πŸ™‚

reply by: mc719 on August 05, 2012 at 1:09 am
      mc719
      I made a pan of these last weekend -- I freeze the individual rolls and reheat them when we are ready to eat.

I did make one change to the icing -- beware this makes the icing completely decadent.

Instead of using regular cream cheese, replace with 3 oz of mascarpone cheese (italian cream cheese). OMG, the result is totally light and incredibly melty.

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.