Berry Pie by cwalde

Home Forums Recipes Berry Pie by cwalde

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Berry Pie
      Submitted by cwalde on May 20, 2005 at 1:46 pm

This is my favorite fruit pie and I like making it red raspberry. I also use the lower amount of sugar because I like the tartness of the raspberry coming through. The pie is best with fresh fruit, but I use frozen all the time. I just rinse the berries to get off all the ice. You experienced pie bakers know how to do it! Hope you enjoy! Cheryl

Pastry for 2 crust pie or one crust and Lattice Top

3/4 - 1 c sugar
      1/3 c flour
      4 c fresh berries (raspberries, blackberries, boysenberries)
      2 T butter
      Milk (for brushing)

Heat oven to 425 degrees. Prepare lattice top. Mix sugar and flour, gently stir in berries. (I simply sift flour and sugar over my berries in the pie shell.) Turn into pastry-lined pie plate; dot with butter.

Arrange pastry strips on filling as directed; trim ends. Seal and flute, building up high edge. Brush pastry with milk, sprinkle with sugar. Cover edge with 2-3 inch strip of aluminum foil or pie guard to prevent excessive browning; remove foil during last 15 minutes of baking. Bake until crust is golden brown, 35-45 minutes.

Lattice Top:
      Prepare pastry for 9 inch, 2 crust pie and leave 1 inch overhang on lower crust. After rolling pastry for top crust, cut into 10 strips, about 1/2 inch wide. (Pastry wheel can be used for more decorative strips.) Place 5 strips across filling. Weave a cross-strip through center by first folding back every other strip going the other way. Continue weaving till lattice is complete, folding back alternate strips each time cross-strip is added.

Blueberry Pie:
      Decrease sugar to 1/2 c, add 1/2 t ground cinnamon and use 4 c fresh blueberries. Sprinkle blueberries with 1 T lemon juice before dogging with butter.

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.