Baking Crackers: My Latest Obsession

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls Baking Crackers: My Latest Obsession

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

On the KAF Baking Circle in 2015, KAF-Sub-rius (I miss his baking discussions also) had mentioned in a baking thread that he had tried and liked the Sourdough Cracker Recipe from the KAF site. That started my fascination with baking crackers. I make a variation of that recipe with the Vermont Cheese Powder, and my husband and I like them a lot. I mentioned it in my Baking Circle Highlights for 2015.

I don't take my starter with me on vacation, so I've been searching out other cracker recipes to bake while we are here, and it would be great to have a variety of cracker recipes for parties. I've posted the Rye Crisp one that I tried last week, and I expect to make it regularly. Tonight, I'm baking the second half of Cheese Herb Crackers--another recipe from The Baking Sheet 13.1 (Holiday 2001). I've taste tested a few from the first batch, and it's another great recipe. It also uses baking powder and yeast.

Of course, I did some tinkering. The recipe was developed back when KAF was pushing its new mellow pastry blend. I decided to use almost half whole wheat pastry flour with the regular AP flour. I used grated parmesan cheese as the cheese and put in some dried rosemary, sage, and thyme, in addition to half a tsp. of the pepper. (I have to watch the spices with my husband.) I think that next time I bake these, I will divide the dough into three parts, since the dough covers almost the entire baking sheet, so the edges brown faster than those in the center.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by BakerAunt.
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I love crackers, but I totally fail at making them! I think my biggest problem is getting them rolled out evenly so that they're evenly baked.

BakerAunt
        Participant

I would do better if I had my wood strips here. I do have a Joseph Joseph rolling pin that does do 1/16th of an inch, but it is not long enough (another reason to divide the dough into thirds rather than halves next time).

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

You should be able to find replacement wood strips at a hobby store, I've even seen them at hardware stores.

For that matter, 1/16 of an inch is 0.0625 of an inch, and the thickness of a penny is 0.0598 of an inch, so if you tape a row of pennies to the counter, that should be really close to 1/16 of an inch.

aaronatthedoublef
            Participant

My go-to rolling pin is a warped, but much loved, European model I have used for decades. It has crossed the US with me twice now. I wonder if it would work for something so thin and could I get the consistency.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I've got a tapered rolling pin, I've never figured out how to use it for anything. My go-to rolling pins these days are two non-tapered wooden ones with no handles, like the ones we used in pastry school, in two different diameters. I like the larger diameter one for pie crusts, the smaller diameter one for other doughs.

BakerAunt
                Participant

When I'm at home, I use my "pastry wands" and a long, non-tapered pin. I can get good consistent pressure along its length. I have a long pin that is set for 1/4 inch (that's what happens when one spent too much time at the KAF site). I also have a heavy maple one with handles that I use for sweet roll dough. I stopped using if for bread because I think that rolling it out with it was contributing to the blow-outs in the finished loaves. I also have a glass one that a friend gave me, where one can fill it with ice water. (It was her Mom's, so she wanted it to go to a baker.) I've not used it yet.

Here, I have that Joseph Joseph one, and I have the little one with the handles that was my mother-in-law's. What I did was roll out to 1/16th the best I could with the JJ one, then used the other to roll it out a little flatter. One side was a bit uneven on the second bake.

I want to get the special Swedish style pin that docks the dough.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by BakerAunt.
                Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.