baking bread from scratch

Home Forums Threads Saved from the KAF Baking Circle baking bread from scratch

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    rottiedogs
    Participant

baking bread from scratch

vansand
      What bread to use when just making from start to finish. Not using a bread machine.

badge posted by: vansand on July 23, 2013 at 11:01 am in Baking, misc.
      share on: Twitter, Facebook
      Replies to this discussion

reply by: KAF_Keri on July 23, 2013 at 11:22 am
      KAF_Keri
      Well, I suppose that depends... What kind of bread to you like to eat? Are you just looking to start making bread and want a good basic recipe to try? If so, I'd recommend this one: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/walter-sands-basic-white-bread-re.... Or if you want a REALLY easy one with no kneading required, you could try this one: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/english-muffin-toasting-bread-recipe. Happy baking!
      Keri @ KAF

reply by: Mike Nolan on July 23, 2013 at 11:32 am
      Mike Nolan
      Every baker probably has his or her favorites. Mine are these:
      http://community.kingarthurflour.com/node/4809 (Clonmel Kitchen Double Crusty Bread.) If made in the style of a Vienna Bread, with butter instead of oil and baked as freeform loaves, this recipe beats every Vienna bread recipe I've tried. It is also a good loaf pan bread and I've used it, baked in a round pan, for French Onion Soup, too.
      http://community.kingarthurflour.com/node/4113 (Austrian Malt Bread) This is the first recipe I had success with. It is sized for a small bread machine, but if you increase everything by 1/3 (eg, 4 cups of flour instead of 3) it fits very nicely in a 1 pound loaf pan. I've used this recipe to teach several people how to bake bread.
      http://community.kingarthurflour.com/node/4130 (Honey Wheat Bread) This is an adaptation of a recipe from my mother-in-law, I have made it 2-3 times a week for at least the last 5 years, as it is our 'daily bread'.

reply by: Wonky on July 24, 2013 at 3:36 pm
      Wonky
      You've gotten some great suggestions...one of my favorites, "Amish White Bread". This is a great white bread, and so easy to make. The only difference I make is to decrease the sugar from 2/3 cup to l/3 cup. Check it out. You can find this recipe on..allrecipes.com...just type "Amish White Bread" in the search. Wonky

reply by: placebo on July 27, 2013 at 1:59 pm
      placebo
      I'll second the suggestion of the Walter Sand's bread. It's so easy to make, and it tastes great.

reply by: Mike Nolan on July 27, 2013 at 10:05 pm
      Mike Nolan
      The Walter Sands bread is MUCH better if made with the special baker's dry milk than with ordinary dry milk, whch has a flavor I really dislike.

reply by: Antilope on July 27, 2013 at 10:18 pm
      Antilope
      I find I get a richer, better white bread if I add 1/2 cup of mashed potato flakes to each loaf. You have to also add a little more liquid.

reply by: dachshundlady on July 28, 2013 at 7:50 am
      dachshundlady
      If you want white bread, Grandma A's Ranch Hand Bread is a good one though it makes 3 big loaves; you might want to halve it and make 2 smaller loaves. I love the history of this recipe.

http://community.kingarthurflour.com/content/grandma-ranch-hand-bread-0

If you want a great oatmeal bread, this is my favorite, Ron's Irish Porridge Bread:

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/rons-irish-porridge-bread-recipe

And then for a wonderful Multigrain Sandwich Bread:

http://bakingcirclefriends.blogspot.com/2010/08/cooks-illustrated-multig...

Note the multigrain ingredients are to the right of the photo.

reply by: b.lm on July 29, 2013 at 11:14 pm
      b.lm
      Bookmarking

reply by: --jej on July 30, 2013 at 7:21 am
      --jej
      I know this recipe calls for using a bread machine, although it also mentions using a food processor, but one of my favorite recipes for making bread is using Ellen's Famous Burger Buns recipe. I simply put it into a 9x5 bread pan instead of making buns with the dough. In fact, became my MIL's very favorite bread.
      If interested in looking at it, you can find the recipe at:
      http://www.dillsalittlegoatfarm.com/recipes.htm
      The food processor version is under the variations listed below Ellen's recipe. --jej

reply by: omaria on July 31, 2013 at 12:10 am
      omaria
      Bringing this back up.

reply by: kathyd on July 31, 2013 at 7:54 am
      kathyd
      Thanx for this thread. I've been looking for that Oatmeal bread that Dlady makes all the time. I've searched and searched and here it is. Also going to try the recipe that Mike says is the best Vienna Bread he has ever eaten. Been looking for a Vienna Bread recipe that resembles the one my grandfather the baker use to make. He was a baker by trade and I never did get any of his recipes.

Thanx for all this info!
      Kathy D

reply by: omaria on July 31, 2013 at 10:04 am
      omaria
      Kathy D, how funny, my grandfather was a professional baker also. I never paid any attention to the how and why and have only 1 recipe for speculaas from him.

reply by: Antilope on July 31, 2013 at 10:20 am
      Antilope
      Here is a book of bakery recipes from 1914 from Fleishmann's Yeast. Most recipes are for a 196 lb barrel of flour.
      You can read the book online a the Openlibrary.org or download the e-book for free in various formats (PDF, EPUB, MOBI, etc). Here's a link to the library access page:
      http://openlibrary.org/works/OL13849610W/A_treatise_on_flour_yeast_ferme...
      There is a Vienna Bread recipe on page 72. Here's the Baker's percentage I calculated from the book recipe:
      Vienna Bread
      100 %...196 lb (1 bbl.) flour
      55.1 %..54 quarts water
      1 %.....2 lb Fleischmann's Yeast
      1 %.....2 lb malt extract
      1 %.....2 lb sugar
      3 %.....4 to 8 lb lard or other shortening
      1.4 %...2 3/4 lb salt

reply by: kathyd on July 31, 2013 at 11:52 am
      kathyd
      Thanx Antilope. I'll have to take a look at that even though I'm not really good with bakers percentages.

Omaria my grandfather always had his baker's whites on when I saw him (White pants, shoes, tshirt and hat). He did all the breads, rolls, and fancy desserts for a very nice local restaurant. For our birthday's he would make us gingerbread in a pan in the shape of a gingerbread man and decorated it to the nine's with real whipped cream. Boy could I go for some gingerbread and whipped cream! He use to bring us boxes of day old donuts and sweet rolls. My mom would cut those donuts in half and put them in the oven to warm them up and then put peanut butter on them for breakfast before school. Oh the memories. I have none of his recipes but I do have one of his tube pans. I hate to use it but I do!

Thanx for the memories, you made me smile today!
      KathyD

reply by: --jej on July 31, 2013 at 12:15 pm
      --jej
      Hi Kathy D,
      I've made a nice Vienna Bread... If you would like more info on it, the book is upstairs. I'll be glad to put it in here. The author is Delores Casella (I think that is her last name). I love her wonderful book... --jej
      P.S. Haven't used it for a while now, but will be getting some more ingredients into that wonderful bread machine!! πŸ˜‰

reply by: Livingwell on August 07, 2013 at 8:16 am
      Livingwell
      Saving!

reply by: kathyd on August 07, 2013 at 10:59 am
      kathyd
      JEJ,
      So glad that you are enjoying that bread machine. I think of you often when I use my bread machine.
      No rush on the recipe. My kitchen is in a tizzy because of renovations in the living room and dining room.
      I hope to get back to bread in another week or so. Planning a kitchen reno for January/February time frame.

How are things with you.
      Hugs,
      KathyD

reply by: --jej on August 07, 2013 at 6:06 pm
      --jej
      Hi KathyD,
      It's so nice to be connected with you again. It's been a long while, for sure.
      You asked how things are.. I think I can truly say they're getting better, at last. I'm alone now for another couple of weeks, with Ira in Maryland. Not sure when he is coming back, but he is registered for another year of school here and living with me, and hopefully he will spend this entire next school year in Wisconsin successfully. He still needs to learn a bit about behavior -- what 11-year-old doesn't ( ;))) -- and he also has some learning disability issues, but I'm just praying he'll make it through. Meanwhile, I'm writing this in Mad City (that's what some of the locals call our wonderful state capital !!!) -- will be here for a couple of days with my brother and college roommate (who had the wonderful good sense to get together after my DH's and my wedding -- everyone should be so lucky!!!). So we are just enjoying the time together. And gradually I'm getting off the pity-pot and this is helping immensely. I'm also, as mentioned before, going to get back into bread-baking, hoping to make some with whole grains. I've found some Deutsche Kuche (that second u should have an 'umlaut') 'Whole Rye Bread with Whole Rye Kernals' and a couple of other 'authentic German' breads at Aldi's that I'd love to be able to replicate... I also like the Pepperidge Farm 'Ancient Grains' Bread, so I'm going to soon uncover that wonderful bread machine.
      Will also post the Vienna Bread recipe (with full credit to the book and its author). And how nice for you to be getting those renovations done, even though they interfere with daily living somewhat. Bake your way through them!
      Enjoy the rest of the summer. We are having such a lush growing season this year -- we drove around a few blocks today and the flowers and gardens are spectacular. What a beautiful season, and fall will follow before we know it, just as beautiful. Of course, you can hardly beat Madison with its four lakes and a river. Thanks again for those hugs, Kathy! ;))) --jej

reply by: kwarendorf on August 19, 2013 at 2:26 pm
      kwarendorf
      If you are new to bread baking I would start simply. Find a white sandwich bread and bake it lots of times. Your hands will get smarter as to what the finished dough should feel like. You'll also learn all about gluten development without the complications of added ingredients, most of which will impact gluten development one way or another.

The one I started with was Craig Kominiak's White Loaves from Baking with Julia.

You can find it here:

http://www.keepitluce.com/2012/02/tuesdays-with-dorie-white-loaves.html

reply by: --jej on August 19, 2013 at 3:11 pm
      --jej
      Hi again, KathyD,
      Here is the Vienna Bread Recipe, finally. I'm also putting it into my recipes. I've included the same intro used on the Old BC. --jej
      β€’ VIENNA BREAD
      β€’ This recipe comes from "A World of Breads" (1966) by Dolores Casella. She writes, 'This is the real thing, and worth every bit of the time and trouble it takes.' So, while D. Casella indicates it used to take "time and trouble" to make this bread, I halved the recipe to fit my bread machine, which then mixed and raised it through the dough stage, and therefore took almost no 'time and trouble.'
      β€’ Casella's writings and recipes on breadmaking have been published in Gourmet, House Beautiful, Sunset Magazine, and Woman's Day. I love using her recipes, and have yet to find one that "doesn't work."
      β€’ 2 cakes yeast
      β€’ 1 tablespoon sugar
      β€’ 1/4 cup warm water

β€’ 1 cup cold water
      β€’ 1 cup scalded milk
      β€’ 1 tablespoon salt
      β€’ 8 cups flour
      β€’ Dissolve the yeast and sugar in the warm water. When dissolved, add the cold water to the scalded milk and stir into the yeast mixture. Sift the salt with the flour and gradually stir this into the milk-yeast mixture. Knead well on a lightly floured board for about 10 minutes, or until smooth and elastic. Place in a buttered bowl, cover, and let rise until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours. Punch down and turn out again onto a lightly floured board. Knead again for 5 minutes. Now shape the dough into 2 long or round loaves and place them on buttered cookie sheet that has been sprinkled with cornmeal. Make gashes in the top with a sharp knife, as for French Bread. Cover and let rise again until doubled. Brush with egg-white glaze and bake in a 450 degree oven for 10 minutes, lower heat to 350 F. and bake for 50 minutes longer. Remove from oven, brush again with glaze, and return to oven for another 30 minutes. It is this long, long baking that gives the bread its distinctive flavor and crisp crust.
      β€’ ***My Notes:
      β€’ 1. My bread machine will only make 1/2 of this recipe.
      β€’ 2. I have only used compressed yeast, as of yet. One of these days I'll substitute dry yeast.
      β€’ 3. I put all of the ingredients in the bread machine in the order of machine directions.
      β€’ 4. The 5-minute kneading was part of my 'shaping' process.
      β€’ 5. I made a long loaf, and it looked just like the bakery variety.
      β€’ 6. For us, it doesn't need quite such a long, long baking. It produces a very, very crusty loaf.
      β€’ 7. Wonderful with soup and pasta; also for toast, toasted cheese sandwiches, crumbs, etc.!!
      β€’ Hear, Hear!!! dachshundlady made this recipe into ROLLS, and had this to say:
      β€’ "I just pulled your Vienna Rolls out of the oven and are they ever lovely. It is a much stiffer dough than moomies. I sprinkled on some sesame seeds after the egg white. I baked them 8 minutes at 450 and 7 minutes at 350. Can't wait to try them with the pulled pork."

reply by: --jej on August 19, 2013 at 3:13 pm
      --jej
      OOPS, I forgot. I have to call KAF and find out how to post more recipes. But it is here, at least. --jej

reply by: Antilope on August 19, 2013 at 3:26 pm
      Antilope
      The best white bread that I have found is Peter Reinhart's White Bread (variation 2) from the Bread Baker's Apprentice. You can find the recipe at the link below (page 268). I have adapted the recipe with a tangzhong roux to make it even lighter.

Peter Reinhart's Vienna Bread recipe is also on page 261 of the above link.

reply by: --jej on August 19, 2013 at 7:35 pm
      --jej
      You are right, Antilope. Peter R. has some great recipes in that book. Love his Italian bread. It is my favorite! --jej

reply by: frick on August 23, 2013 at 8:47 pm
      frick
      jej, thanks for the reminder. I have Delores Casella's book here somewhere. Time to try it out again & I've never made Vienna Bread. Halvsies in the bread machine sounds like a plan. Glad you are feeling better. You sound positively chipper! Of course, you will have to be on your toes with an 11-year-old of the male persuasion. May you both do well.

reply by: --jej on August 24, 2013 at 12:26 pm
      --jej
      Thanks so much for the 'upper,' frick!! Seems like I can go either way, fast... but I'm working on it. It really is good when Ira is here, because it forces me to do what is necessary. Found out this summer that without him, it is really easy to drag out the pity pot and sit there for hours!! I'm baking some desserts for the church picnic tomorrow. Was just going to take them over, but a visit with a friend last eve. (when I took them a lot of things from the garden) has almost persuaded me to stay and eat, too!! I'm sure it would be good for me. πŸ˜‰ So I'm getting there! --jej

The Baking Circle

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

Recently I've been making the Clonmel Kitchens Doubly Crusty Bread, subbing butter for the oil and shaping/slashing/baking it like a Vienna Bread. We actually did a taste test on this recipe vs the Vienna Bread recipe in BBA, and the Clonmel Kitchens recipe won out. I don't know if PaddyL has posted that recipe here yet, I know she's been on the site a few times but hasn't posted or uploaded much yet.

I divide it into 3 loaves, each around a foot long after shaping. This makes a nice small profile slice, great for a sandwich; if I want bigger slices I make 2 bigger loaves. I usually freeze 2 out of 3 of them, because I don't eat as much bread as I used to, either.

With my wife on her 20 carbs a day diet, she's not eating bread at all these days, so I haven't made the honey wheat recipe in over a month.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Mike: I have Paddy's recipes saved. If no one has posted them by this evening, then I will go ahead and do so.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

Posting Paddy's recipe would be great! Thanks.

BTW, we're closing in on having 500 recipes posted. That's only around a tenth of the member recipes that were on the KAF site before it shut down, and that doesn't count recipes that went MIA when they updated the site several years ago.

But it's a pretty good selection of recipes. Thanks to everyone who's contributed.

Looking at the Google Analytics data, I'm seeing a slight up-tick in referrals to our site from the search engines.

I'll keep creating blog posts, I think that's another good way to build up the site. I now have 5-6 of them in the works (including a holiday one for December.) Last night I was working on one about knife sharpening, complete with photos using my digital microscope.

BakerAunt
            Participant

OK, I've added Paddy's, Pmiker's, and Teachingcotton's. Don't worry, I have more, as I am sure Rottiedogs does as well. Zen said that there were 4000 recipes. I'm willing to bet that we will have at least 1000 on this site before we are finished putting them in. Tomorrow, I will work on virginislander's.

It would be helpful if we could have a list of whose recipes have been uploaded (or rather cut and pasted) into the recipe site so that we do not duplicate efforts.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by BakerAunt.
              Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I just posted a summary by original uploader on the BC, assuming that information was included in the subject header as 'by xxx'.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.