Apricot Oatmeal Bars by hickeyja

Home Forums Recipes Apricot Oatmeal Bars by hickeyja

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    rottiedogs
    Participant

Apricot Oatmeal Bars
      Submitted by hickeyja on September 20, 2007 at 4:09 pm

DESCRIPTION
      Apricot Oatmeal Bars

SUMMARY
      Yield 0 File under Cookies Brownies Bars

INSTRUCTIONS
      These pretty streusel-topped bars are quick to make and easy to transport. Made with unsweetened apricot preserves, they are a good source of potassium and beta carotene. This recipe is from EatingWell.com

1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
      1 cup all-purpose white flour
      2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
      1/4 teaspoon salt
      1/4 teaspoon baking soda
      1/4 cup canola oil
      3 tablespoon apple or cranberry juice
      1 10-ounce jar apricot preserves, preferably "all-fruit" (1 scant cup)

1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Lightly oil an 8-by-12-inch baking dish or coat it with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.

2. In a large bowl, work together oats, flour, brown sugar, salt and baking soda with your fingertips until no lumps of brown sugar remain. Drizzle oil and fruit juice over the oats and mix in with your fingertips until evenly moistened and crumbly.

3. Set aside 1/2 cup for the topping; press the remainder evenly in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Spread apricot preserves over the top. Sprinkle with the reserved oat topping.

4. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until golden. Let cool in the baking dish on a rack. Cut into 15 bars. Store at room temperature in an airtight container.

Per bar: 164 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrate; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 48 mg sodium; 12 mg potassium.

You can use any flavor of preserves. Raspberry and blueberry are favorites at my house. I use Smucker’s Simply Fruit.

Dump the preserves into a bowl and stir with fork or whisk til smooth—it will spread easier.

Be sure the crumbs completely cover the bottom. If you can see the bottom of the pan between the crumbs, the jelly will leak thru and stick to the pan. Try to leave about 1/4-inch border between the preserves and the sides of the pan. This will help prevent burned edges.

I usually cut these into 24 bars instead of 15. Use a plastic knife to cut these. The preserves tend to stick to metal knives.

comments
      Submitted by hickeyja on Fri, 2011-11-18 18:52.
      Nutrition Facts
      15 Servings
      Amount Per Serving
      Calories 123.9
      Total Fat 4.1 g
      Saturated Fat 0.3 g
      Polyunsaturated Fat 1.2 g
      Monounsaturated Fat 2.3 g
      Cholesterol 0.0 mg
      Sodium 4.2 mg
      Potassium 43.6 mg
      Total Carbohydrate 24.2 g
      Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
      Sugars 14.2 g
      Protein 1.5 g
      Calculated with http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

This recipe makes scrumptious bars. I replaced the AP flour with white whole wheat flour, and I used my homemade black raspberry, reduced sugar jam instead of the apricot. This recipe should work with almost any jam.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.