Apple cake

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    rottiedogs
    Participant

Apple cake
      horses272
      Looking for a apple bread recipe, made in a loaf pan, for breakfast or snack, any- one got a good one?
      badge posted by: horses272 on September 19, 2014 at 9:09 am in Baking, desserts and sweets
      share on: Twitter, Facebook
      Subscribe to: This post
      REPLIES TO THIS DISCUSSION
      Save
      Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save" to activate your changes.
      reply by: frick on January 10, 2015 at 6:22 pm
      frick
      I would make it once without, first. There is liquid only in the dough, and it picks up a fair amount of flavor since all those dough pieces get mixed up together with the filling. It would not hurt to use somewhat more apples than the recipe calls for, as well as a bit more filling. Not that it's shy, but more wouldn't hurt. The boiled cider is superb in the spiced apple cider cookies, and in pies, and I used a bit in the last sautéed apple filling I made for Dutch Babies. Awesome!
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: cwcdesign on January 09, 2015 at 7:09 pm
      cwcdesign
      A fairy sent me some goodies from KAF including boiled cider. I still haven't made this bread recipe and I was wondering if it would be a good idea to use it in the Bernard Clayton chopped apple bread.
      -
      And, Pioneer Woman made the simplest apple tart with puff pastry - cut sheet of pastry in half. Put both pieces on a half sheet pan. Halve, core and slice a couple of apples, toss in a sugar mixture. Lay apples in a line down the middle of the two sheets of pastry. Bake. After they came out of the oven and puffed up around the apples, she drizzled caramel sauce and pecans. You could probably use boiled cider.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: swirth on September 20, 2014 at 8:13 am
      swirth
      Rascals1...scroll and read:
      -
      http://community.kingarthurflour.com/search/node/Victorio
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: Rascals1 on September 20, 2014 at 7:37 am
      Rascals1
      A machine for Roma tomatoes? Please tell me more about it.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: horses272 on September 20, 2014 at 7:04 am
      horses272
      Thanks, for the recipes. 9x5 pan is good. Mike Nolan, I was thinking about you when I canned my 28 quarts of tomatoes, plus pizza sauce for telling me about the Roma tomato machine. This year was exraordinary for tomatoes in CT.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: Rascals1 on September 19, 2014 at 9:39 pm
      Rascals1
      Apple Bread
      4 cups apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
      4 large eggs, beaten
      1 cup vegetable oil
      2 tsp vanilla extract
      2 tsp baking soda
      2 tsp salt
      2 tsp cinnamon
      3 cups all purpose flour
      2 cups granulated sugar
      Topping
      3/4 cup all purpose flour
      1/4 cup granulated sugar
      1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
      2 tsp cinnamon
      1. Note: 4-5 large apples (like Mcintosh). I found you might want to test bread with toothpick for doneness. You will think you will never get the apples stirred in but you will , and oh so good.
      2. Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly grease two standard bread loaf pans and set aside. Peel, core and slice the apples. Cut into good-sized chunks, about 1 inch in size. In a large bowl, beat the eggs with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add the oil and beat until combined. Add the vanilla extract, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Beat until thoroughly mixed. Next, add the flour and sugar and mix on low just to blend. Turn the mixer to high and beat until mixture is smooth. The batter will be very thick. Fold in the chopped apples, mixing by hand so the apples do not get broken up. Divide the mixture between two pans. Since the batter is so thick, it is easiest to spoon the batter into the pans. To prepare the topping, combine the flour, sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Cut the butter into the mixture with a fork until all ingredients are moist and crumbly. If you don’t mind a liftIe mess, it is faster to use your hands. Sprinkle equal amounts of topping on each loaf. Bake for about 1 hour on the center rack of the oven. The loaf should feel fairly firm when touched in the middle; if not, bake and extra 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack. Let cool for 5 minutes before removing from the pans. It is easier to slice the bread if you can wait until it is cool.
      3. Prep. time: 10 minutes Baking time: 1 hour (or longer) Yield: 2 loaves, 20 slices
      4. Note:
      5. Can use peaches in place of apples, increase vegetable oil by 1/4 cup and decrease salt and baking soda to 1 teaspoon.
      6. May substitute the all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour, or 1/2 of the all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour.
      7. May add 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts if desired. May cook in muffin tins also, bake for 20 - 25 min. at 350 degree.
      Servings: 20
      Yield: 2 loaves
      Oven Temperature: 350°F
      Cooking Times
      Preparation Time: 10 minutes
      Cooking Time: 1 hour
      Source
      Source: Penzeys Spices
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: frick on September 19, 2014 at 8:30 pm
      frick
      Carol, If you have a 9 x 5, use that, and also butter/grease a smaller pan or small round baker, pyrex dish, or even a tiny round cake pan. I have every size of bread/loaf pan made. I just measured the one I would try next time - 3.5" x 7". I might even work in two 4 x 8s. Mind you, it burned on the very uppermost chunks because they were so high. I'm sure the photo will show you what went wrong. If you know how to post a photo, feel free. 🙂 Come back with some more questions, please.
      Anyone want a photo? Send me your email.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: frick on September 19, 2014 at 8:24 pm
      frick
      Carol, If you have a 9 x 5, use that, and also butter/grease a smaller pan or small round baker, pyrex dish, or even a tiny round cake pan. I have every size of bread/loaf pan made. I just measured the one I would try next time - 3.5" x 7". I might even work in two 4 x 8s. Mind you, it burned on the very uppermost chunks because they were so high. I'm sure the photo will show you what went wrong. If you know how to post a photo, feel free. 🙂 Come back with some more questions, please.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: randyd on September 19, 2014 at 2:41 pm
      randyd
      I don't like the texture of apples in cakes or muffins. I tried the recipe in one of those KA emails a few weeks back. It was a whole wheat apple muffin. It was tasty. I think they had a cake too.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: cwcdesign on September 19, 2014 at 1:44 pm
      cwcdesign
      So frick, if half a recipe overflows a 9x5 pan, what size do you use? What is considered a "medium" pan?
      -
      I've often thought about trying this recipe. Maybe now's the time.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: swirth on September 19, 2014 at 12:46 pm
      swirth
      You might like these of my posted recipes:
      -
      http://community.kingarthurflour.com/node/3966
      -
      http://community.kingarthurflour.com/node/5190
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: frick on September 19, 2014 at 12:00 pm
      frick
      Bernard Clayton's Chopped Apple Bread. It's crazy to make. Messy but fun. Delicious, and not too sweet. I promise everyone who has made it has been glad of the experience and the result. Good sliced and toasted, also. Excellent for breakfast, or snacks. I halve the recipe and make these changes: Use butter, not shortening. I use milk, not water & dry milk. 1/2 tsp salt for 3.25 - 3/5 cups of flour is not enough; I use 1 tsp. Note pan changes.
      The old style directions are easily made into: 1-make dough your preferred way. 2-pat out and add apples, eggs and cinnamon sugar. 3 - chop up and put in pan.
      Chopped Apple Bread (Bernard Clayton and various bakeries)
      Dough
      6 1/2 to 7 cups bread or all purpose flour
      2 packages dry yeast
      1 tbsp salt
      1/2 c. dry milk
      2 1/2 c. hot water (120 to 130)
      3 tbsp shortening
      Apple Mix
      2 c. apples, chopped into 3/4 inch cubes
      2 eggs, lightly beaten
      1/2 c. walnuts or pecans, chopped into pea size pieces
      1/2 c. brown sugar
      1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
      2 medium loaf pans, greased. * Note, half the recipe is still too much for one pan. It overflows a 9 x 5 pan.
      In a mixing bowl combine 3 cups flour with the dry ingredients. Pour in the hot water and stir in the shortening. With strong strokes, beat the batter 100 times by hand, or for 2 minutes with a mixer.
      Add flour 1/2 cup at a time, to make a dough that can be lifted from the bowl and placed on the work surface.
      Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface, for 10 minutes.
      Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and set aside to double in volume, about 1 hour.
      Punch dough down. Place on a floured work surface. Roll and press the dough into an 18 inch square, about 1/2 inch thick. Let the dough rest for a few moments.
      Spread the chopped apples uniformly over the surface of the dough. Pour the beaten eggs over the apples. Add the nuts. Sprinkle on the sugar and cinnamon. Fold the dough into a package. This will be the last time there will be a semblance of order in preparing the bread. Using a dough scraper or large knife, chop the dough with random blows into pieces about 1" in size. Uniformity is of no great consequence. When the apple dough has been well chopped, toss or scoop the pieces into the prepared loaf pans, two-thirds full.
      Cover the pans with wax paper, and put aside to rise slightly above the edge. about 40 minutes.
      Preheat oven to 375. Bake about 45 minutes or til a rich golden brown. Test for doneness with a cake tester. If it comes out clean and dry, the bread is done.
      Turn out onto a wire rack to cool. Carefully, bread is fragile while hot.
      I halve this recipe, prepare the dough in my bread machine, and do the finish work as described. It is luscious!!! -- Moomie
      I halve the recipe also. I can email you a photo but don't know how to put it here.
      Please, please, make this bread. You won't be sorry.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: Mike Nolan on September 19, 2014 at 11:21 am
      Mike Nolan
      Perhaps not what you're looking for, but Darina Allen's Irish Apple Cake is one of my favorite desserts. More like a cobbler or a pie than a cake. I'm fairly sure it's available on the Internet.

zucchini apple bread
      Submitted by swirth on July 18, 2003 at 9:52 pm

DESCRIPTION
      Zucchini Apple Bread

add to my Recipe Box Tweet this post to Facebook
      SUMMARY
      Yield 0 File under Muffins Quickbreads Scones
      INSTRUCTIONS
      4 cups flour
      1 Tbsp. baking soda
      1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
      1/4 tsp. baking powder
      1/2 tsp. nutmeg
      5 eggs
      1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
      2 cups sugar
      1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
      1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
      2 cups shredded zucchini
      1 cup shredded apple
      1 1/2 cups chopped pecans

Combine first 5 ingredients, set aside. Combine eggs, sugar, brown sugar, oil, vanilla in large bowl. Beat at med. speed until well blended. Stir in zucchini, apple, pecans. Add dry ingredients, stir until just moistened. Use 3 greased/floured loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-55 min.

apple butter bread
      Submitted by swirth on October 11, 2003 at 12:07 pm

DESCRIPTION
      Apple Butter Bread

add to my Recipe Box Tweet this post to Facebook
      SUMMARY
      Yield 0 File under Muffins Quickbreads Scones
      INSTRUCTIONS
      2 cups self-rising flour
      1 cup sugar
      1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
      2 eggs
      1 cup butter or margarine, melted
      3/4 cup apple butter
      2 T. milk
      1/2 cup chopped pecans
      1/2 cup golden raisins

Combine flour, sugar, cinnamon; set aside.

Combine eggs, melted butter, apple butter, and milk; beat well.
      Stir in pecans and raisins. Add flour mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.

Spoon batter into a greased/floured 9x5x3 inch loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 65 min. or until wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 min.; remove to wire rack and cool completely.

Recipe came to me from a friend who found it on internet.

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.