All-Wheat and Apple Waffles with Cider Syrup by cwalde

Home Forums Recipes All-Wheat and Apple Waffles with Cider Syrup by cwalde

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

All-Wheat and Apple Waffles with Cider Syrup
      Submitted by cwalde on March 03, 2007 at 9:49 pm

This is my favorite breakfast item which I always make on Mothers' Day. I like chunks of apple in mine so I cut chunks and do not make a smooth batter. The waffle iron lid is propped up slightly when cooking, but the waffles still cook. Sometimes I top the baked waffles with cinnamon sugar after I pour on the cider syrup if the apples are a bit tart. Don't skip the cider syrup as it makes them very special. I always make at least a double batch. These are so yummy. My whole family just loves them and always asks if there are any leftovers. Hope you enjoy them as much as I do. Cheryl

2 eggs, separated
      1 T honey
      1 1/4 c milk
      1/2 stick butter, melted
      2 medium apples, peeled and coarsely chopped
      3/4 c whole wheat flour
      3/4 c flour
      2 T wheat germ
      1/2 t salt
      1 rounded tsp. cinnamon
      1/2 t rounded nutmeg

Prepare the cider syrup if desired. Preheat waffle iron as manufacturer directs. Whip egg whites until stiff and set aside. Combine egg yolks, honey, milk, and butter in the large bowl of the mixer and mix till blended, using a medium speed. Add the apples and dry ingredients and mix on low speed to combine, then switch to medium to create smooth batter. Using lowest speed, fold in beaten egg whites. Add about 3/4 c batter to waffle iron at a time and bake. Serve with cider syrup. Yield: Four 4 section waffles.

Cider Syrup:
      1 c dark brown sugar
      1 c apple cider
      1 T butter
      1/4 t nutmeg
      1/4 t cinnamon

Combine in a saucepan or syrup server and heat together till slightly thickened, about the same length of time the waffles require to prepare.

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.