Add to the shortage list — sugar

Home Forums General Discussions Add to the shortage list — sugar

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

According to the WSJ, domestic sugar supplies are below average, and USA requirements that 85% of sugar be produced domestically means candy makers and others can't purchase sugar from other countries.

This is likely to affect Halloween and holiday candy prices. (What doesn't affect them?) :sigh:

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

Well, various health organizations tell us Americans eat too much sugar. I read that men should limit themselves to 9 tsp. per day, while women should limit themselves to 6 tsp. per day. My younger bonus son says that is more evidence of the patriarchy at work!

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

While I've been one who has complained about the Great Fashion Conspiracy regarding pockets in women's clothing, men and women do have somewhat different nutritional requirements, based on size differences, differences in the amount of physical work they do, and hormonal differences. Body and muscle types also factor into it, but those are largely determined by one's genes.

Most of us have too much sugar and too much salt in our diets, and usually not enough fiber or protein. Many of us also have too much fat in our diets, but I know people who have been on ultra low-fat diets and that created problems for them. Everything in moderation!

I've been reading an interesting book, "Delicious" by Rob Dunn and Monica Sanchez, which talks about the effects taste buds have had on human diets and evolution. Among other things, it suggests that mammoths and mastodons were so delicious that our ancestors ate them to extinction. Cats do not have taste buds for sweetness, so they don't have a 'sweet tooth', unlike humans.

BakerAunt
          Participant

I should have made it clear that my stepson and I were having a joke. 🙂

I also believe in moderation.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.