What Will Be on Your Thanksgiving Table Today?

Home Forums General Discussions What Will Be on Your Thanksgiving Table Today?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Everyone has his or her own Thanksgiving traditions. Some people like to experiment, and some like the same food for this special day. I am mostly in the latter camp, but I vary the menu if guests have a special food without which it would not be Thanksgiving for them. I thought it would be fun to see what other people are serving.

In the late afternoon, I will make spiced cider to sip as we work on dinner.

We will have a turkey, roasted by my husband. He will bake, then mash sweet potatoes with some cinnamon and butter. I will make Pepperidge Farm dressing (the blue bag!)--with some onion and celery chopped and cooked in the butter, before adding homemade turkey stock, the crumb mix, and fresh parsley. I bake it in a shallow dish. I will also make the time-honored Green Bean Casserole with Campbell's Healthy Request Mushroom soup and low-sodium soy sauce. The onions must be French's! (I'll cook some frozen peas, so that my husband has an alternative.) I also make a cranberry-dried cherry uncooked sauce with brown sugar and cardamom, which my husband won't touch. (More for me!) Dessert is my version of my mother's pumpkin pie.

It's just the two of us this year--for the first time in fourteen years. If my stepdaughter were here, there also would be mashed potatoes and gravy. If we had a lot of people, as we have some years, I would bake rolls and maybe make a streusel-topped apple pie to allow for choice--or for a little of both!

Spread the word
      chocomouse
      Participant

It's just the two of us this year, too, after 30 years of serving about 30 guests! I'm roasting a turkey breast, and have Pepperidge Farm dressing (in the blue bag!! Herbed!! the ONLY kind to have!) and added celery and onion. We have mashed buttercup squash and baked potatoes from the garden. I've never done a breast before, and don't know if I'll get enough drippings for gravy, but will try, so I've also bought a jar of Heinze gravy. I'll have cranberry sauce out of a can, and my husband will have pecan pie. This is about half the items I usually make No cheeseball, rolls, cole slaw, fruit salad, yams, apple or raspberry pie, or cream pie and it feels wonderful, so relaxed. I had major surgery last Thursday and am so thankful to be home with my husband! Life is good.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

We'll have 6 for supper tonight, our older son and his family are here, plus a family friend. (We think the last time he was here for Thanksgiving was around 1996.)

We'll be having:

Relish tray
          Olive tray (one of our guests is allergic to olives, so we keep them separate)
          Turkey and gravy
          2 kinds of stuffing (bread cubes and GF cornbread)
          Mashed potatoes
          Dreaded Green Bean Casserole
          Roasted Brussels Sprouts
          Cranberry Sauce, two kinds (fresh and canned)
          Apple Pie (currently in the oven)

It'll be in the 60's here today, so I'm doing the turkey on the outdoor gas rotisserie/grill, that always makes for the juiciest turkey.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

Just the two of us this year and I baked ham,made turnips with roots and mustard greens cooked together with pork neck bone,corn bread and onions soaked in vinegar for the greens.That was it,so good and we had Edwards lemon pie the closest one to my mom's.It's overcast and sprinkling here.

Chocomouse sure hope you heal up from surgery and sending prayers.

Our son lives in Texas and hasn't been home in about 2 years,sure miss him and the grandchildren and if they had come I'd really been rattling them pots and pans.
            May you all have a Blessed Thanksgiving.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.