What is Coarse Rye Meal?

Home Forums General Discussions What is Coarse Rye Meal?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I'm looking at a recipe in The Rye Baker for a rye Knackebrod. It calls for coarse rye meal. However, it is not clear to me, even after going over the brief discussion of rye flours in the introduction several times, what Ginsberg means by coarse rye meal. Is it by any chance rye chops? He does not use "rye chops" in the book at all.

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

Rye chops are similar to cracked wheat, they're not fine enough to be a meal. I've looked at a lot of rye recipes, I don't recall any that called for rye chops.

Back when I was testing rye recipes, I bought 5 pounds of rye berries and use my impact mill on its coarsest setting. That was pretty similar to the pumpernickel flour I was getting at the Mennonite store in TN. I'd look for pumpernickel flour, it's usually pretty coarse.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Ginsberg seems to refer to pumpernickel as whole rye, which he has as a separate ingredient. Perhaps there is an extra coarse flour?

There doesn't seem to be a standardized way of naming different rye flours. I've figured out white and medium. Bob's Red Mill sells a dark rye, which I use in my Limpa Bread. I'm planning on buying a pumpernickel--not a term he uses for rye flour.

He has a picture of these types: white rye flour, medium rye flour, dark rye flour, fine rye meal, medium rye meal, coarse rye meal, and malted rye berries.

He seems to distinguish between flour and meal.

BakerAunt
          Participant

Bob's Red Mill carries Organic Pumpernickel Dark Rye Meal--except that they are currently out of stock.

https://www.bobsredmill.com/shop/flours-and-meals/organic-pumpernickel-dark-rye-meal.html

I think that is what I want for coarse rye meal, so Mike's suggestion is a good one. Now I need to find a supply.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by BakerAunt.
          Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.