What are You Cooking the Week of August 5, 2018?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of August 5, 2018?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

The neighbors at the place next to ours also have a farm, so they brought us a bag of sweet corn yesterday. We will have it with boneless pork chops (my husband will cook) and the very last of our green beans--and this time I mean the very last, as he has pulled out the exhausted plants and will be planting a new batch.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I’m in a rut with chicken recipes, which is why I shook it up last week with a new recipe, Caramelized Baked Chicken Legs. For this week, I found chicken thighs on sale at the grocery, so I turned again to the internet, and on a site, SweetCs designs (blogger Courtney O’Dell), I found “Baked Ranch Chicken Thighs.” It included a tip that for crisper skin, blot the chicken pieces with a paper towel. She used a 1 oz. packet of Ranch salad dressing mix. I used .8 oz. of Penzey’s Ranch dressing mix and increased the olive oil to about 2 ½ Tbs. I deleted the garlic, as I hear Mike Nolan’s lament: why is there garlic in EVERYTHING. (I suspect it is already in the Ranch seasoning.) Our verdict, after dinner, is too salty. Perhaps it works better with the packaged mix. Next time, I will brush the chicken with olive oil and sprinkle a bit of the seasoning on each piece of chicken, and I will use less.

We had it with the last of the sweet corn and some green beans from the farmers market. We noticed last night that these green beans were tough, even after being microwaved for longer than usual. We chewed through them last night, but this evening, I put the leftover cooked ones in a skillet with some butter and sautéed them, along with some sliced almonds. We liked it.

RiversideLen
        Participant

Tonight I made a hamburger on a homemade bun, fresh corn and asparagus and a little left over mashed potato.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

Last night we had Steak Diane with corn on the cob.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

Not been a lot of cooking here,we had homemade hamburgers and chips.

BakerAunt
              Participant

We had leftover chicken from last night. I scraped off the too salty topping. We had it with noodles, for which I made a sauce out of the drippings from roasting the chicken last night and some heavy cream. We had to resort to microwaving frozen peas for vegetables, as I missed last night's farmers' market.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

Our granddaughter has been visiting us for the last two weeks, today she helped me make a batch of chocolates, squeezing a pastry bag filled with tempered chocolate into molds. She did very well!

I'll post some pictures in the next day or two. They need to firm up for a few hours before we unmold them.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

For dinner on Thursday, I made a large turkey-zucchini meatloaf. I used 2 pounds ground turkey and 3 cups of zucchini. That’s extra zucchini in a recipe that is doubled. I have not yet snared any peaches at the farmers’ market, so I made a glaze of 1/3 cup ketchup, ½ tsp. dried mustard, 3 Tbs. brown sugar, and ½ tsp. celery seed. I added it after the loaf had baked 40 minutes, then baked another 30 minutes, as it is a larger loaf. We like the topping. We had it with sweet corn and some peas cooked from the freezer.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

Tonight we had baby artichokes with a variety of dips, plus cheese souffle with mushroom sauce and a flan for dessert. I really nailed the caramel sauce on the flan!

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

Sloppy Joe's here tonight and I made some fig jam today.

chocomouse
                        Participant

Tonight we had boneless skinless chicken thighs on the smoker, with our first of the season corn on the cob (not from my garden, I don't grow it), green and yellow beans, and zucchini. I'm leaving tomorrow for two weeks, and hoping my husband will pick enough of the veggies to keep them coming.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

I made the All-American Potato Salad again, as there are such nice red potatoes for it at the farmers’ market--the kind where you can leave the skins. We had it with the rest of the turkey-zucchini loaf and some steamed broccoli.

Have a safe trip, Chocomouse! We will miss you.

Joan--Did you can your fig jam, or did you make it for the refrigerator or freezer? It sounds delicious.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by BakerAunt.
                            • This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by BakerAunt.
                            Joan Simpson
                            Participant

BakerAunt I cooked the figs down with sugar and I had some sugar and lemon jello powder that I had in the pantry from making a rolled cookie awhile back so I added that at the end of cooking and it thickened it up really well.I just jarred it up in a pint jar and it sealed as usual.I heard it pop so I know it sealed.I never do the water bath on them.I only had a 16 oz.cool whip bowl of figs so I only got one jar.They turned out really pretty color looks more like strawberry jam because the figs were so dark and very sweet.I mashed the figs up well then added the equal amount of sugar and cooked them down till good and thickened.My mother always left her figs whole but I like them mashed up more like jam.I've never cooked that small amount before but that's what I had.

Have fun Chocomouse!

Tonight I had toast from the bread I baked yesterday with jam for supper and it was all good!

• This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by Joan Simpson.
                            Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.