What are you Baking the week of November 11, 2018?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the week of November 11, 2018?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Two weeks to Thanksgiving, do you have your pre-Thanksgiving baking done yet?

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

We have a lot of nice Jonathan and Winesap apples to use. I scoured the internet to find a galette or crostada recipe, and I found “Apple Galette with Vanilla Yogurt Drizzle,” from Cooking Light. I’m on a low-saturated fat diet, so a crust that uses some whole wheat and only 5 ½ Tbs. of butter seemed a good place to start.

https://www.cookinglight.com/recipes/apple-galette-vanilla-yogurt-drizzle

One thing that irritates me about Cooking Light recipes is that they usually call for small amounts of ingredients that I would not want to have around in large amounts, given my current dietary restrictions. In this case, 3 Tbs. whole milk and 1/4 cup 2% yogurt. I decided to make several changes in the crust. I used whole wheat pastry flour rather than the regular whole wheat flour, reduced the salt to ¼ tsp., and in place of ¼ cup 2% yogurt and 3 Tbs. whole milk, I used ¼ cup plus 3 Tbs. buttermilk. The recipe said to roll the dough out to a 15-inch circle, but 13 ½ inches was all I could manage. There was a lot of filling, which I mounded high.

For the filling, I used half Jonathan and half Winesap apples—unpeeled. I followed the filling ingredients otherwise, except that I deleted the vanilla, which I do not believe belongs in an apple pie. I brushed the crust with a bit of 1% milk and sprinkled with sparkling sugar before baking. Mine needed to bake 30 minutes, rather than 25 min.

It definitely looks rustic, but only one side leaked a bit. After we watch tonight's episode of "The Durrells in Corfu," we will have it with nonfat vanilla yogurt for dessert. I'll add a note here about taste and crust texture after that.

Note: The filling is excellent, but then, how could I go wrong with Jonathans and Winesaps? The crust is ok, but it is ok in the sense of better than not having any crust. Saturated fat for 1/8th of the galette is 4.895 grams with my changes. With my regular crust, it would have been 7g.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by BakerAunt.
        BakerAunt
        Participant

We are beginning to clear items out of the house for a renovation that will start sometime toward the end of the month. In between, I was in the kitchen.

On Monday, I made my version of a sourdough pizza crust for a large sheet pan. We had pizza Margarita, using the last of the tomatoes that have ripened. (We have other green ones brought in before the freeze that are starting to redden,) We put browned ground turkey, left over from last night, on the pizza because my husband wanted some meat on it. He did allow me to sprinkle the pizza with Penzey’s Tuscan Sunset.

I also made dough for a double recipe of my Lower-Fat, Whole Wheat, Sourdough Cheese Crackers, and I fed the sourdough starter.

For my final project on Monday, I am baking Stella Parks’ Yeasted Pumpkin Bread, using my stand mixer. This time, I increased the whole wheat flour to 1 ½ cups, then weighed the bread flour to make the same weight. I again added 2 Tbs. special dried milk, added 3 Tbs. flax meal, and used canola oil rather than butter, and 2 Tbs. honey in place of the maple syrup, which meant that I needed to add an additional tablespoon of water. (Note: I love the maple syrup original, but I wanted to see if I could make a variation.) It's a good evening project because it is snowing outside--heavy big, wet flakes--and it is sticking.

chocomouse
          Participant

I tried a new recipe from KAF today, the Bacon-Cheddar Buns. I followed the recipe exactly, and they are quite good. They'll be great with a bowl of tomato soup. My brother is passing through the area tomorrow morning, so we are meeting at KAF. The only thing on my shopping list is the triple blend cocoa, but I love to look in the windows of the bakery to watch the bakers at work. And I can stand for hours in front of the bakery case - all those beautifully shaped goodies!

BakerAunt
            Participant

On Wednesday evening, I baked a new recipe from Bob’s Red Mill: “Gluten Free Fall Harvest Apple Bread.”

As I do not need to bake gluten-free, I substituted 1 ½ cups AP flour and ½ cup barley flour for their 1:1 gluten-free flour. I reduced the sugar from ¾ to 2/3 cup. I used buttermilk rather than regular milk, and I substituted 2 tsp. boiled cider for 1 Tbs. apple cider vinegar (it was clearly there to "sour" the milk). The recipe did not specify whether the apples should be peeled, but I did so. I used one Winesap and one small Jonathan. It baked well, and it came easily out of the pan with no falling apart. (I used THE Grease on the pan). I'll add a note tomorrow on taste and texture. The bread is very low in saturated fat, only 3.5g for the entire 9x5 loaf.

Promised Note: It made a tasty bread that holds together well--just don't expect to slice it thinly. The apple mixture and the cinnamon went very well together.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I've got Vienna bread about to come out of the oven.

skeptic7
                Participant

I had November 12 th as a holiday so I baked 3 little pie pumpkins. I bought them on sale on Halloween for 50 cents! I actually bought 4 pumpkins but one started to mold and had to be thrown out. These had a lot of seeds and not so much flesh. I only have 2 pints of rather dry pumpkin puree.
                  I also made a cornmeal - whole wheat bread flavored with dried rosemary, sage and thyme. I've given the recipe in another posting. The temperature was so cold I felt wonderfully happy to be able to preheat the oven and then bake the bread for nearly an hour and a half. There was no guilt about heating up the kitchen for so long as there would have been in the summer.

I also made a gluten free, vegan apple-walnut maple syrup quick bread the next day. This is the first time I used Bob's Red Mill gluten free flour. Its very white. It seems to behave just like regular white wheat flour and bakes for the same amount of time. I made it for a friend and didn't actually taste it or examine its texture.

On Friday I made the Easy One Bowl No Knead Apple cake from KAF 200th anniversary cookbook. This starts by slicing and cooking two apples with sugar and spices and a little butter. Then making a yeast batter with both white and wheat flour and brown sugar and spices. Place the batter in a 9 inch round, and then carefully placed the cooked apples on top. Let rise ( it says 1 1/2 hours ), I let it rise over night and then bake. This was actually good! Its very strange, I thought it wouldn't rise with the apples weighing down the batter but it does. I also thought the liquid from the cooked apples would wreck the batter but it doesn't. This is amazing.

I also make a cornmeal-whole wheat yeast bread with cheese on Friday, but that is described in detail elsewhere.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.