Mayonnaise

Home Forums Recipes Mayonnaise

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I make mayonnaise using my Bamix stick blender, but you can do it in a food processor or blender just as easily.

This recipe makes about a cup and a half of mayonnaise. All ingredients need to be at room temperature or slightly warmer than that.

1 large egg (technically all you need is the egg yolk)
      1 teaspoon vinegar (I prefer red or white wine vinegar, but I've also used tarragon vinegar)
      1 teaspoon lemon juice
      1/2 teaspoon salt
      1 teaspoon mustard powder

1 cup salad oil (I use canola oil for this) You can actually use up to about a cup and a quarter of oil, but above that the mayonnaise will not hold the suspension and will break. See below for what to do if it breaks.

If making it with a stick blender, put everything in a tall container. Put the stick blender all the way in, start it going and count to 12. This makes sure the egg yolk forms a suspension. Then lift the stick blender up and down slowly a few times to blend in the oil.

If making it in a food processor or blender, put everything except the oil in, blend it for about 10 seconds, then slowly add the oil.

I've seen several sources that recommend leaving the mayonnaise sitting out for an hour, saying that this seems to kill bacteria. (I suspect it's due to the lemon juice and vinegar.) If you're worried about salmonella, you can substitute a pasteurized egg, if you can find them.

If the mayonnaise breaks, get out another container and put in another egg (again, at room temperature) and a little lemon juice, whip it until it starts to form an emulsion, then add the broken mayonnaise slowly.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

Thanks Mike ,I will try this.

Molly.heinz
        Participant

Making mayonnaise with blender is much faster, thank you!

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

With a stick blender it takes about 15 seconds to make 2 cups of mayo, hard to beat that for speed. I've done it in a blender and in the food processor, but I think the stick blender makes less of a mess because you do it right in the container you're going to store it in. Rinse off the stick blender and you're done!

But whichever method you use, the taste taste still beats the daylights out of commercial mayo.

Welcome to My Nebraska Kitchen, Molly.

Bronx
            Participant

I'm conscious of the number of calories I eat and usually use low fat or fat free mayo. The Kraft stuff isn't bad, but I bought some other stuff that was on sale, made chicken salad with it this week and it tasted like paint; vile!

We grew up using Miracle Whip so real mayonnaise tastes weird to me. I've had mayonnaise eaters tell me the same thing about Miracle Whip.

Bronx

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

We were a Miracle Whip family too, but these days it tastes way too sweet for me, so my wife uses Miracle Whip and I use Hellman's Canola Oil Mayo if I don't have fresh home-made available (which I seldom have available.)

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

My wife ordered something she saw Jerry Mathers advertising on TV about Type II Diabetes. It says ignore calories, count carbs instead. So she's been on this low-carb diet, and I have to say it works, she lost 50 pounds in under a year, she now weighs less than she did when we got married 44 years ago.

She showed that material to her doctor, he was interested enough in it that he now has a copy of it.

Bronx
                  Participant

I'm a life-long yoyo dieter myself. Carbs and sugar are considered the enemy these days.

I can go without refined sugar, but trying to eat dinner without bread or at least crackers is torture.

Bronx

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

Personally, I think sugar is sugar. There's not much evidence that I've seen that 'raw' sugars are better for you than 'refined' sugars, they're both sugars! The real problems are that so many things have sugars added to them unnecessarily and that we choose to eat sugary things. (Look at how much sugary candy is sold ahead of Easter.)

My wife has been buying the low-sugar form of Heinz Ketchup, which of course they only sell in tiny bottles at 4-5 times the per-ounce price. I can't tell much taste difference, makes me wonder why the 'regular' Heinz Ketchup has all that sugar in it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.