KAF Apple Cake

Home Forums Baking — Desserts KAF Apple Cake

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    BevM
    Participant

I'm wondering if anyone has tried the KAF recipe for Old-Fashioned Apple Cake with Brown Sugar Frosting? I made it just before Thanksgiving and was not happy with the taste. I'm not sure if it is the combination of spices or something else. My granddaughter and her boyfriend liked it so I'm thinking it might be my taste preferences are different than theirs. The brown sugar frosting was delicious although quite sweet. It got lots of good reviews. Just wondering if there was anyone else who had tried it and had suggestions on tweaking the recipe.

Spread the word
      KIDPIZZA
      Participant

I’m wondering if anyone has tried the KAF recipe for Old-Fashioned Apple Cake with Brown Sugar Frosting? I made it just before Thanksgiving and was not happy with the taste. I’m not sure if it is the combination of spices or something else. My granddaughter and her boyfriend liked it so I’m thinking it might be my taste preferences are different than theirs. The brown sugar frosting was delicious although quite sweet. It got lots of good reviews. Just wondering if there was anyone else who had tried it and had suggestions on tweaking the recipe.

BEV M:
        Good afternoon. I took the liberty to review this recipe as to your request for suggestions for a possible revision.

Well Bev, here it is. As far as the FROSTING is concerned the individual taste buds control that. I would try reducing the brown sugar by 3/4, oz & see how that works out for you.

Now for the baked article. Bev, this is what I do not like about this recipe. Notice the weight of the sugar it exceeds the weight of the flour. In general when that occurs CAKE FLOUR would be more appropriate. Just reduce the sugar to 9.5 oz.

.....................................OR.......................................
        Reduce the sugar to 8, oz & add 2,1/4 oz of honey. You will get moisture & anti staling in your baked article as well as good taste. Add the honey when the butter/sugar creaming is near completed. (BEV, butter should be at 65/68 Degrees when ready to cream... ALWAYS)

Bev, notice the leavener employed is SODA. Bkg soda is used when your recipe has an acidic ingredient(s). Yes, it does leaven but Bkg powder is the leavener of choice because it will not only not disapate the moment it touches a liquid but it provides lightness to your article. Soda, if it is excessive it will give the baked product a "OFF~TASTE" effect, as in your description. BEV, 2, tsp is excessive.
        Consider employing 1.5 tsp. of powder & add; 3/4 tsp max. of soda for the apples

Bev I think I am finished now. Bev, if you employ my suggestions to you report back & let us know how well you have fared.

Enjoy the rest of the day young lady.

~CASS/KIDPIZZA.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by KIDPIZZA.
        BevM
        Participant

Cass, thank you for all your detailed suggestions. I will be making this in the next couple of days as I have apples that need to be used and will report back on the results. I will also alter the spices a little.
          I hope your baking adventures are going smoothly. Let us know how the cheesecakes turned out. I make a New York style cheesecake for the family at the holidays and it is always good.
          Thanks again for all your help.
          Bev

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.