Have you ever made your own \“Wild Yeast\” starter?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls Have you ever made your own \“Wild Yeast\” starter?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    wonky
    Participant

Years ago, I made a wild yeast starter, and am going to try it again once the weather warms up. I find this process amazing. I have been doing some research on this method for a while, and am looking forward to trying this method again. Something about making your own starter by setting a little water/flour mixture outside, and ending up with a great loaf of bread is so gratifying.

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I have done it several times, including twice when I was testing recipes for Peter Reinhart, another time when I ordered a miche from the Poilane Bakery in France. (I saved the paper bag the miche came in and made the starter inside that bag, in the hopes that it had some French wild yeast strains in it.)

I've been tempted to try a grape skin starter, grapes attract several strains of wild yeast. But if I did that, I'd probably follow the Tartine Bakery book method of producing a starter that isn't SOUR.

BakerAunt
        Participant

I've only made one starter--and I still have it--one of those "soupy" ones. I followed the directions in an article on sourdough in Sunset Magazine over 25 years ago. It did use a bit of yeast to get it going.

Once we get the house remodeling done (it will need to be started first 🙂 ) I might attempt a rye starter. I'm just not sure how many starters my husband will tolerate, even with two refrigerators.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.