What Interesting Food Did You Cook the Week of May 15, 2016?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What Interesting Food Did You Cook the Week of May 15, 2016?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

On Thursday, I made three large batches of Chex Party Mix for my stepdaughter and her roommate's graduation parties. My only notable cooking endeavor was Saturday's dinner for my husband and me. (It has been a week of leftovers and a dinner out.) I roasted two large chicken breasts on a half-sheet pan lined with parchment. I surrounded them with an assortment of vegetable--small potatoes, zucchini in long slices, halved mushrooms, carrot pieces, and red bell pepper. I drizzled it all with olive oil, then sprinkled on rosemary, sage, thyme, salt, and pepper. It came out well, and we have leftovers for another meal.

Spread the word
      Italiancook
      Participant

Again, I tried to replicate my mother's-in-law pork roast. Another failure. My mother-in-law lived out-of-state from us. On Sundays when we'd visit, she'd cook a pork roast dinner. It was the most succulent roast I'd ever tasted. Real fatty and juicy.

I never asked her what type of roast she bought. It was so fatty that I couldn't justify having it on a regular basis. I served pork loin, instead.

Last year, I told the butcher I wanted to make her pork roast. What type of roast should I order? He informed me that I'd probably never replicate her roast, because they're breeding out the fat. As a try, he sold me a roast on the bone, but I forget what cut of pork it was. No luck. It was way too lean to be mother's-in-law roast.

Yesterday, I tried again with a tied, boneless pork shoulder. Not her roast, either.

I give up the quest unless someone here has a suggestion for a fatty pork roast.

LauraVA
        Participant

Hi, Italiancook...

Not knowing what part of the country you're in, or whether you're in the city, or a rural area, here's a couple of ideas...

If you live in a rural/farming area, check to see if anyone specializes in heritage pig breeds,

Hi, Italiancook!...I have no idea where in the country you are, or whether you're in the city, or a rural area, but here's a couple of ideas...

If you have access to a local farmer's market, find out if anyone locally breeds heritage breeds of pigs, and if they sell directly to consumers. We have several farms in our area (South central VA), that are both organic farmsteads, and specialize in heritage breeds of farm animals, be it pigs, cattle, sheep, poultry, etc.

Also, are you familiar with larding needles? They're used to insert strips of either pure fat, or bacon directly into the body of a roast. I remember my Mom using them, as a child.

My mother used to make a pork roast like you're describing. I know exactly what you mean. I grew up in South Florida, and have eaten way more than my share of either Cuban roast pork, or Caribbean roast pigs. I don't eat nearly as much meat as I used to, but it would be really hard to pass up some lovely roast pork...lol!

Well, hope that helps a bit...

Laura

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

Pork tenderloin has almost no fat in it these days, if there's any meat that has been bred to meet consumer preferences, it's pork!

A pork sirloin roast should have more fat on it. Boston Butt has a lot more fat, but has to be tied (or cooked in a net) or it falls apart, IMHO it's best for slow cooking and turning into pulled pork.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by Mike Nolan.
            Italiancook
            Participant

Laura, I'm so glad to "meet" someone who remembers wonderful pork roasts. Do you recall what cut of pork your mom used?

At Christmastime, I heard about a tamale-maker who said that there wasn't enough fat on the pork for her tamales. I imagine she's not the only one.

Thanks for telling me about heritage pig breeds. Had never heard of them. I Googled and found such a farm 2 counties away. I also found 2 farms closer that sell pork to consumers but aren't advertised as heritage. Next week, when I have more time, I'm going to call these places. I'm willing to drive the distance to replicate mother's-in-law pork roast and will probably end up at the heritage farm.

As you suggested, Laura, I'll also ask at the farmer's market over the weekend.

Mike, I wonder if pork sirloin roast was what mom-in-law used. I hope the farmer's can lead me to the right product.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.