Wed. Oct 7th, 2026

chocomouse

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,816 through 1,830 (of 2,760 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of July 19, 2020? #25758
    chocomouse
    Participant

      Joan, it wasn't me who had the allergic reaction to shell fish -- that was posted by cwcdesign. Sorry you had to suffer that, cwcdesign - allergies are scary, especially when they are sudden and you've never had a problem in the past.

      in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of July 19, 2020? #25741
      chocomouse
      Participant

        This is the bread I baked today. It's a variation on my usual whole-grain sandwich bread, as I added 1/2 cup of Super 10 Blend (KAF).

        Super-10-Bread‑7.2020

        Attachments:
        You must be logged in to view attached files.
        in reply to: Changes at King Arthur Flour #25740
        chocomouse
        Participant

          The 50 lbs I bought last week cost $29.95; it usually runs $25-$30. It's about the same as buying 5 lb bags on sale at the grocery store, or 25 lbs at a big box such as BJs. For me, it's about the convenience. You can just walk into the KAF bakery store and buy it; only once have they been out of it when I wanted it. They will even put it in your car for you! A few weeks ago, when the store was closed to shoppers due to Covid, you could call them and pick it up at the back door within 10-15 minutes (and could get anything they had in stock that way, also). I'm not sure if they are still doing curbside pick up now that the stores have been allowed to reopen.

          KAF sells 5 pounds of AP flour for $4.95 in the store. Most grocery stores around here sell 5 pounds for 4.29. A few times a year, groceries sell it for 2 bags for $5.00

          in reply to: Changes at King Arthur Flour #25736
          chocomouse
          Participant

            The Sir Galahad is what KAF sells wholesale, to "professional" bakers, in 50 pound bags. I believe it is the same flour as their All-Purpose; it behaves the same way. For me, it's just a convenient way to buy flour, and I use about 100 pounds a year.

            in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of July 19, 2020? #25735
            chocomouse
            Participant

              Cass, I think Sheila has the right idea!

              in reply to: Changes at King Arthur Flour #25729
              chocomouse
              Participant

                I buy KAF Sir Galahad AP flour in 50 pound bags. I've been thinking about changing out an old poster of birds I have in my studio. I'm going to try cutting the next empty bag to fit the poster frame. I might have to lightly iron the brown paper bag to get some wrinkles out, and I might need to have it matted. I just really don't want to let go of that old logo!

                in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of July 19, 2020? #25728
                chocomouse
                Participant

                  Dinner tonight was ribs, cole slaw,macaroni salad, green salad, and green and yellow beans. The cabbage, greens, and beans were all from the garden.

                  Roughing it means boondocking without solar panels.

                  in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of July 19, 2020? #25713
                  chocomouse
                  Participant

                    Today I baked a blueberry cobbler. It's OK, but needs some changes. I used the Boyajian lemon oil and it leaves a terrible after-taste, kind of metallic, artificial which also overpowers the blueberry flavor and really ruins the cobbler. It does have the cake-like quality of the cobber that we prefer, compared to a crsip-type topping.

                    in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of July 19, 2020? #25712
                    chocomouse
                    Participant

                      We finally got some rain, overnight and a couple of passing showers during the day, for a total of .56 inches. That totals about 1 inch for the month of July so far. To celebrate, I made pizza for dinner!

                      in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of July 19, 2020? #25696
                      chocomouse
                      Participant

                        Another salad night at our house: chicken salad from leftover chicken breasts, more leftover macaroni salad, a tomato and onion salad, and fresh cole slaw using the first cabbage from our garden. Another hot and humid day, with thunderstorms in the area, but not a drop of rain in our neighborhood.

                        in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of July 19, 2020? #25689
                        chocomouse
                        Participant

                          That looks really good, Len. We've learned that opening the top of the grill lets out a ton of hot air, much more than opening the oven door. As Aaron asks, did you have the lid off? Or, if shut, maybe don't rotate the pizza as frequently or open the lid to check doneness.

                          in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of July 19, 2020? #25674
                          chocomouse
                          Participant

                            Tonight we had shrimp marinated in Stonewall Kitchen pineapple-ginger sauce, grilled on skewers, with fresh green and yellow beans and macaroni salad.

                            I just wrote bacon on my grocery list! I have enough lettuce for an army, and tons of green tomatoes - just waiting for them to ripen. The Romas are looking great, but also still green. Pizza is on the menu for Thursday night, but I'll still be using last summer's tomato sauce.

                            in reply to: Changes at King Arthur Flour #25663
                            chocomouse
                            Participant

                              Mike, I was thinking back to the early 1800s when the Wood's flour company started. They carted their bulk flours through the street of Boston in wooden kegs stamped with pictures of a knight on a horse. I was not referring to any connection to the mythical kingdom of the Middle Ages. I do recall that the flour they first sold was imported from England, it was not milled from US raised wheat.

                              in reply to: Changes at King Arthur Flour #25657
                              chocomouse
                              Participant

                                Does that new logo look like it belongs to Burger King? I'm OK with the new name - KA(F? BC?) as it does reflect more accurately the current mission of the company. But the knight, the horse! And that gorgeous knight in shining armor that stands in the entry way by the Cafe! I asked if they would be changing the name of the Sir Galahad and Sir Lancelot professional flours and the response was, so far, no change. I wish they had retained more of the historical connection to King Arthur.

                                in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of July 19, 2020? #25653
                                chocomouse
                                Participant

                                  I assume by now most of you have heard about the change at KAF to King Arthur Baking Company, and the new logo. I tried to start a new thread about this, but couldn't figure out how to do that. What do you think of the changes?

                                Viewing 15 posts - 1,816 through 1,830 (of 2,760 total)