What are You Cooking the Week of May 24, 2020?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of May 24, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    kimbob
    Participant

Thanks alot, chocomouse! I think I'm in zone 5b, Hyde Park, NY (mid Hudson valley). I definitely want to try it. I buy garlic at the farmer's market in the summer so I'll use that to plant. Fun!

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

In case you haven't heard, Tuesday Morning filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy earlier this week and is planning to close a number of stores, but currently not all of them. At this point, the one in Lincoln, which we visit only infrequently because it is on the other side of town, is not scheduled to close.

BakerAunt
        Participant

I did hear about Tuesday Morning, Mike. The nearest one here is in South Bend, and we don't go to South Bend that often. I had been thinking we would get there in October, after my husband's family reunion, but it looks like the reunion will not be held this year due to Covid-19. Usually Big Lots would have better prices on the foods. Tuesday Morning seems to me to have moved direction in the past few years. A lot of my nice baking and cooking ware came from there, but I recall thinking a couple of years ago that if I were shopping for the same items now, I wouldn't find them there.

Note on zucchini we had for dinner. I found a roasted zucchini recipe on line. I cut the zucchini into slices and put it on a half-sheet pan lined with parchment. I brushed each slice with olive oil, then sprinkled with a bit of garlic, salt, and pepper. I grated a little Parmesan cheese over each slice. I roasted at 475 for 5 minutes, then put under the broiler for 2 minutes. These are delicious.

chocomouse
          Participant

Thanks for that recipe, BakerAunt. I will definitely try it in 6 weeks or so when we have more zukes than we can eat. I could probably use my fancy ribbon/slicer/grater tool and try it on some of those shapes, too.

RiversideLen
            Participant

Many years ago when we were visiting my wife's family in Ohio, her mother pulled out a recipe called hamburger gravy and asked me to make it. I thought it was pretty good and was thinking about it recently. I know I have her recipe somewhere but as it's a pretty simple recipe I decided to look it up on Youtube. I didn't realize that it's alternate name is Sh*t on a Shingle. So I made it tonight, although I didn't make shingles (toast), I had it over barley. I also added diced carrot and frozen corn to it. I enjoyed it.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

In the military they often call it SOS, and it is usually made with dried beef and powdered milk, both of which are easy to transport in the field. It is also fairly easy to make in large quantities quickly.

cwcdesign
                Participant

Our SOS was always made with dried beef as well. Stouffer's used to sell it and it was pretty good.

Last night I made a cucumber salad with sliced shallots (I didn't have red onion) a yogurt dressing that I adapted from the recipe. We really liked it.

I also made a new favorite -30 minute Butter Chicken Meatballs from Half Baked Harvest. We have made it several times since the start of sheltering in place and always have enough for a couple of meals. We had white rice with it because we haven't been able to get brown rice in two months.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

At the start of sheltering in place, I bought another bag of brown rice (organic at that!) at the local grocery store because I was afraid of getting caught short. Well, they still have it to sell here. It's interesting how some parts of the country are short on some items and others on different items.

chocomouse
                    Participant

I'm making Coconut-Rum ice cream. I use Ben and Jerry's sweet cream base #1, except I cook the sugar-eggs mixture 'til it just comes to a simmer, instead of using raw eggs. My husband will let me know if I don't put enough rum in it! The alcohol stops it from freezing rock-hard, but too much will add flavor but prevent it from getting hard enough.

Italiancook
                      Participant

The ham I baked a few days ago was a first time adventure. Today, for the first time, I made Ham Gravy with mashed potatoes and leftover ham and veggies for lunch. I used Trisha Yearwood's mother's gravy formula from a Food Network show.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

We're making Cardinal Preserves with some strawberries that were on sale, and I'm planning to make a black bean/mushroom meat loaf for supper.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

For Saturday dinner (and dinners beyond), I cooked black-eyed peas from scratch (soaked overnight in salted water, drained, then cooked in salted water). After they had cooked for an hour, I sautéed chopped celery, chopped yellow bell pepper, and 8 oz. pre-packaged cubed ham in grapeseed oil, then added 2 cloves minced garlic, before adding the black-eyed peas, 1 ½ Tbs. Penzey’s dried onion that I had rehydrated, and 1 1/4 cups brown rice. After bringing it to a boil, I let it simmer for 45 minutes, then I added some torn kale. The flavors really came together well; no additional spices were needed. I think that sautéing the ham gives depth of flavor.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

We wound up having take-out pizza tonight, as we're still working on making strawberry preserves.

Italiancook
                              Participant

The strawberry preserves sound delicious, Mike.

I made The Neely's Broccoli Soup (Food Network). It's for a few meals; I didn't freeze any of it, which is unusual. I had mine with a dinner roll from the freezer. I longed for chocolate chip cookies to finish it off. I plan on making those tomorrow.

chocomouse
                                Participant

Dinner tonight was grilled chicken thighs, potatoes roasted on the grill, and asparagus.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.