What are You Cooking the Week of May 24, 2020?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of May 24, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    cwcdesign
    Participant

We’re just doing grilled cheese with some veges from the garden. We’ll be more adventurous tomorrow after I pick up my order from Harris Teeter. I placed it for a 9am pick-up tomorrow in case they were out of things today. I got a call telling me they’d filled my order and they were out of things and I asked to please double check in the morning to see if any of the items come in over night. I pointed out that that was why I ordered for tomorrow, not today. They will check - I’ll be interested to see if they get any KAF in tonight

Joan Simpson
      Participant

I'm still eating Sloppy Joe's.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

My wife had some ham on rye bread with pimento spread, I had some sirloin steak and potato salad, we both had a green salad, too.

chocomouse
          Participant

We had a ham steak, leftover Greek pasta salad, and asparagus.

BakerAunt
            Participant

I wanted to make Sloppy Josephines for Monday night’s dinner, but we are low on ketchup. My husband uses most of it, so I did not realize we were low. I wanted to leave the remainder for him, and I have tomato paste, so I went online to look at ketchup recipes and found this one at The Spruce Eats:

https://www.thespruceeats.com/easy-tomato-ketchup-recipe-1327422

I made a half recipe. I used the cider vinegar rather than the white wine option. I cut the cinnamon back to 1/8 tsp. I did not use the optional ground cloves or cayenne pepper. I did add ¼ tsp. celery seed. It makes a more full-bodied ketchup than the high fructose corn syrup-free one we usually buy. This one is thicker, has a deeper, less sweet flavor, and certainly contains more tomato. (Remember the presidential administration that tried to have ketchup included as a fruit or vegetable for the school lunch program?) I added the whole batch to my ground turkey for my Sloppy Josephine recipe, which I seasoned with just ¼ tsp. more celery seed and ½ tsp. Penzey’s Adobo seasoning. I also added a little more brown sugar. My husband liked it. I did too, but my taste buds seem to find something missing. We had our Sloppy Josephines on Len’s buns, with microwaved frozen mixed vegetable.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

We've tried making ketchup a few times, without just a little clove it always seems to be lacking in taste. But you have to be careful not to put in too much.

Since the garlic-free sloppy joe mix we were using does not appear to be on the market any more, I've played around with making a sloppy joe base but haven't hit on the winning combination yet.

BakerAunt
                Participant

The recipe does have allspice. Maybe I'll add a bit of clove next time. I was also wondering about a dash of Worcestershire sauce.

chocomouse
                  Participant

Tonight I used up one of my "emergency" meals from the pantry; this is for when I don't feel like cooking or don't know what to cook. So we had shrimp from the freezer, alfredo sauce from a jar, on cavitapi. We also had leftover asparagus and a skimpy green salad of lettuce, one tomato, and 1/4 of an onion. I was 95* here this afternoon, and predicted to be in the upper 90s for the next two days. I may need to find another emergency meal!

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

We had sausage sandwich and fries.

RiversideLen
                      Participant

I had boneless chicken thighs, leftover baked beans (from a can) with rice and broccoli.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

We had the last of the sirloin steak, with breaded mushrooms.

kimbob
                          Participant

Salmon, roasted potatoes with rosemary and lots of garlic, salad. Wash it all down with chardonnay. Has anyone grown their own garlic? I'm going to give it a shot.

kimbob
                            Participant

Last night had baked ziti with Italian bread and garlic knots.

chocomouse
                              Participant

Yes Kimbob. I grow garlic. Plant the small cloves in the fall, before the ground freezes. It stays underground all winter, puts up green shoots in the spring and is ready for harvest in July-August. The garlic scapes, or new green stems, are delicious cut up into salads, scones, etc. The scapes are very interesting -- curling and twisting long green stems that look great in a vase, with other greenery or alone. I live in Zone 4b, in Vermont, so your timing will depend on where you live.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

On Thursday, I made All American Potato Salad. The recipe comes from Cook’s Country, although I have tweaked it slightly. For us, it must include Hengstenberg Crunchy Gherkins, a German pickle. I buy jars at Tuesday Morning or Big Lots, usually in September and October during Oktoberfest promotions. I am down to my last jar and do not know when I will have a chance to re-stock. We will have it with roasted chicken thighs (on silicone racks so that the fat runs off). I plan to sauté zucchini in olive oil with a bit of Penzey’s Tuscan Sunset as the green vegetable.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.