What are you Cooking the week of September 29, 2019?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the week of September 29, 2019?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

We're having smothered pork chops for supper here, what about you?

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

We are having leftover stir-fry from last night.

That is good, because at 10:30 or so Saturday evening, there was a resounding crash in the bedroom closet as the rack gave way, and the clothes came tumbling down. I had not wanted to do a Rubbermaid wire shelf; my husband now sees my point. The metal brackets are just not meant to hold that kind of weight. At the moment, we are using some freestanding clothes holders that I saved when we moved, and we are using the downstairs closet, where I insisted we put back the metal rod. The wooden shelf over it, with an additional supporting bracket in the center is working fine.

I have dinner handled. Any advice on closet systems? 🙂

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by BakerAunt.
        • This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by BakerAunt.
        Joan Simpson
        Participant

Tonight I made a small pot of chili,husband didn't want it so he had a tomato sandwich and chicken noodle soup.Works for me.

chocomouse
          Participant

Today I processed another 5-gallon pail of tomatoes from the garden, now ready for the freezer. I used some of that to make a sauce with ground beef, and served that on penne. It's probably the best tasting sauce I've every made, and I've been making it for 34 years!

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Without knowing the dimensions of your closet, I can't recommend specifics. We had our closets custom built, but I like the modular metal shelves like these:

Shelving

They come in a variety of lengths, depths and height and there are numerous accessories such as baskets and hanging rods.

We have a number of these in the basement to keep things off the floor, which occasionally get a little water when it rains They're the type that restaurants use and they'll hold several hundred pounds per shelf. I've seen kitchen staff climb on them.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

Tonight we had cubed pork,steamed cabbage and macaroni and cheese.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

Tonight we had left over spaghetti and meat sauce with garlic toast.

navlys
                  Participant

We had burgers on the grill and I sautéed some onions to go on top.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

I'm making spaghetti with meat sauce and cheese toast for supper tonight.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

Tonight we had bacon,lima beans,rice and tomato gravy with some chopped onion that was soaked in vinegar to put on top of lima beans.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

I'm making chicken broth/stock today, using a whole chicken. About half of the broth/stock will wind up as chicken soup, probably tomorrow.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

Today I made a meatloaf,sour cream mashed potatoes,cooked a carrot and added to left over garden peas and heated up left over cabbage.

chocomouse
                            Participant

Tonight we had BLTs. Tomorrow my husband will pick one last pail of tomatoes, all the peppers, cabbage, raspberries, and anything else except the brussels sprouts, as we have a predicted freeze of 30* here tomorrow night. I will be camping (brrrr) at the Vermont Sheep and Wool Festival this weekend, where the temp is predicted to be as low as 25*.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

The soup broth/stock and most of the chicken meat will chill in the fridge overnight, I'll probably do the chicken noodle soup tomorrow. Chilling the liquid overnight helps to get the rest of the fat out of the broth/stock as it rises to the top and even if it isn't totally solid it is still easier to skim off. I did use some of the chicken meat to make a batch of chicken salad for supper, but it was a pretty big chicken, 5.6 pounds.

RiversideLen
                                Participant

I made a stuffed acorn squash for dinner. I diced some onion and carrot and cooked it with some ground chicken. Added some chicken broth to keep it moist. When that was done I added a diced apple and cooked it until the apple was tender. I seasoned it with fresh sage from my garden and a little garlic powder. In the meantime I was roasting an acorn squash. When it was tender I stuffed it with the meat mix and returned it to the oven for about 10 minutes. It was pretty good, had it with some noodles.

I don't know if I'll do that again. Fact is, stuffing it is more for presentation as everything is already cooked when it gets stuffed. Normally when I make an acorn squash, I stuff it with apples that I tossed with a little brown sugar and maybe a few chopped pecans or walnuts and even a few raisins. But all that goes in from the beginning and the apples and squash roast at the same time and the squash gets nicely flavored from the apple.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.