What are you Cooking the Week of November 20, 2022?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of November 20, 2022?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Thanksgiving week is here, what are your plans for the week?

We're having one friend over for supper on Thursday, I'm doing a small boneless breast, stuffing, green bean casserole and a sweet potato pie.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

No Thanksgiving plans for us so far.My husband has felt bad lately and has started trying to quit smoking again.He had quit for over 6 months when he got really sick before Covid started.So for my praying friends I ask you for prayers.

We had scrambled eggs and toast for supper.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

We had BLT's plus some salad using the first pickings from my latest Aerogarden crop, some black seeded Simpson, some rouge d'hiver and some Salanova (a sweet curly lettuce developed for hydroponics), I haven't picked the buttercrunch yet, I'm saving that for Thanksgiving.

cwcdesign
          Participant

We've decided to not do anything special for Thanksgiving this year as it's just Will and me. I'm dog sitting for a friend Wednesday through Friday over by the beach. Since we are really busy at work this week the down time will be really nice as we are closed on Thursday.

Today I tried a recipe for chicken and wild rice soup which came out pretty well. I overcooked the rice a little, but that has a lot to do with the new stove. Learning how to use the induction has a learning curve, but we're both really happy with it. The oven works well - we had baked salmon, asparagus and potatoes last night. We haven't tried the convection or air fryer yet.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

We've had a standalone induction unit for quite a while, it does take some adjustment. Ours only has about 8 settings, there are many times I'd like a setting in between two of them, keeping something at a slow simmer can be challenging, because you can't do what you can do on a gas range and use a spacer to lower the heat transferred to the pot.

BakerAunt
              Participant

I had some turnip greens that needed using, so I made a quick pasta dish for my lunch on Monday and tomorrow. I sauteed onion, chopped carrot, and chopped celery in olive oil. Near the end, I added the cut turnip greens with a bit more olive oil. After they had cooked for a couple of minutes, I added 1 ½ cups turkey broth leftover from the meal I cooked on Saturday, a heaping tablespoon of tomato paste, ¼ tsp. dried oregano, and ½ cup autumn-shaped pasta (leaves and pumpkins). I cooked at a low boil for 7 minutes, then added ¼ tsp. dried basil, some shakes of garlic powder, and freshly grated black pepper. I had half of it with Parmesan shredded on top.

chocomouse
                Participant

That sounds so good, BakerAunt.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

We had cubed pork,mashed potatoes with gravy and okra and tomatoes.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

Joan, I will say a prayer that this time your husband can persevere and quit those cigarettes.

For dinner on Monday, I made Turkey, Mushroom, and Spinach Lasagna, a recipe that I first made several weeks ago. We had roasted honey-nut squash from our garden on the side.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

Thank you BakerAunt for the prayers.

navlys
                        Participant

I found bb ribs on sale so I crockpotted them with miscellaneous spices and bbq sauce. I served them with baked beans and cole slaw.

Also praying for your husband, Joan.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

I cooked mixed turnips, mustard and turnip roots in a pot with neckbone, macaroni and cheese, sliced smoked turkey and corn bread.I was cooking the greens for Thanksgiving but my husband has felt bad lately and I knew this should help his appetite and it did. Still plenty for Thanksgiving.

Thanks for the prayers navlys.

chocomouse
                            Participant

Joan, that's so good of you to cook him something that will entice him to eat. It sounds like he'll want to eat some Thanksgiving dinner too.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

Simple fare ahead of Thanksgiving here: macaroni and cheese. I added ground beef to mine, Diane added some ham and havarti cheese to hers.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

On Tuesday, I made yogurt. I also made my first batch of applesauce from the Ida Red seconds that we bought from the orchard two weeks ago. The applesauce has a lovely pink color. I made it for Thanksgiving, but we will likely have some with tomorrow dinner.

Dinner on Tuesday was leftover turkey, spinach, and mushroom lasagna and roasted honey nut squash.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.