What are you Cooking the Week of November 20, 2022?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of November 20, 2022?

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Joan Simpson
    Participant

We had meatloaf, creamed corn and green butter beans.

chocomouse
      Participant

I had a green salad, and my husband had baked beans and hot dogs for dinner. I told him he had to finish up the apple pie I made the other day because I need the pie plate for the pecan pie I'm going to make tomorrow. He didn't buy that, he knows I have plenty of pie plates.

BakerAunt
        Participant

My husband cooked boneless pork chops for dinner, and I roasted some cubed sweet potatoes tossed in olive oil. We also had microwaved frozen peas. We also had some of the applesauce that I made on Tuesday. Since my son and daughter-in-law have to leave early Friday morning and will miss leftovers, this way they get the leftovers in advance!

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. Busy day in the kitchen here, with dinner planned for 5:30, but I've got my schedule posted and there are plenty of rest breaks in it, so I don't totally wear out. Right now we're watching the Macy's parade.

I've got the chocolate pie filled and cooling, I'll make meringue once it is a bit cooler. (I'd prefer a Swiss or Italian meringue, but my wife prefers French meringue, even though it has a tendency to weep.)

I tried something a bit different when I was blind baking the pie. I cut a 12" circle of parchment, then made slits around a third of the way in all around so that when I put it in the pie pan the slits folded over each other, which avoids having parchment wrinkles. Seemed to work fairly well. I also chilled the dough after putting it in the pan, that's supposed to reduce shrinkage some.

I read an interesting article online about various ways to blind bake a pie, their preferred way was to use aluminum foil then fill it with granulated sugar and cook it at a lower temperature for an hour. It is supposed to reduce shrinkage and also results in making a batch of toasted sugar. I didn't do that because I don't have a lot of recipes that use toasted sugar, though some might benefit from it even if they don't call for it. (I'd also have to find a place to store it!)

BakerAunt
            Participant

Stella Parks is an advocate of using sugar for blind baking. I think that Aaron started a conversation on it a couple of years ago.

BakerAunt
              Participant

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

The 18 lb. turkey is in the oven. I have some downtime before I need to cook potatoes for muddled mashed potatoes, make the dressing, and then make the gravy. We think that we will be eating between 6 and 6:30 p.m.

BakerAunt
                Participant

Everyone must be in After Thanksgiving Day Mode.

We enjoyed re-running yesterday's feast on Friday.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

Watched Nebraska pull off the upset against Iowa in football, now I'm watching the Nebraska women's volleyball team struggle against Wisconsin, a team they've lost 9 straight matches
                    to, including the national championship match last December.

Lunch was leftover salad, supper was leftover turkey, stuffing and beans, followed by a piece of chocolate cream pie.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

The rest of our pumpkin pie was finished at lunch today.

We had two small boneless pork chops left over from dinner earlier in the week, so for Saturday's dinner I made a small stir-fry with the pork and the soba noodles, deglazing liquid, carrots, celery, green onion, red bell pepper (ripened off the vine on the porch), and broccoli from the farmers' market

chocomouse
                      Participant

Dinner was a repeat of Thanksgiving dinner, warmed up leftovers. Just as tasty as the first time around.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.