What are you Cooking the Week of March 28, 2021?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of March 28, 2021?

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Joan Simpson
    Participant

We had hamburger steaks and home cut fries.

chocomouse
      Participant

We had tomato sauce with spicy sausage and big chunks of red peppers and onions on rigatoni, with a green salad. It is 24* and sleeting now, back to winter weather.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

We had salads followed by hot cross buns (with extra icing, of course.) Slightly better than yesterday's meal. 🙂

Joan Simpson
          Participant

I baked a london broil in my roasting pan with golden mushroom soup over it and sprinkled with dry onions,a little water and sprinkled the roast with vinegar pepper sauce,a dash of worcestershire it was baked low and slow and was very tender.Rice, sliced tomatoes and green butterbeans on the side.Enough roast for another meal.I baked half a roast as a whole one is too much for the two of us.

BakerAunt
            Participant

We had sourdough pan pizza for dinner on Friday with my usual toppings of homemade pizza sauce from the freezer, Canadian bacon, mozzarella, mushrooms, red bell pepper, Parmesan, and on my half black olives and sliced onion rings as well.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

We had artichokes for supper.

BakerAunt
                Participant

On Saturday, I made avocado toast for lunch for the first time. I mashed an avocado and added 1 tsp. of Penzey’s Pico & Salsa (recommended in a Penzey’s email) and had it on two slices of toast. I struggle with having good lunches, since I do not use processed lunch meat; tuna sandwiches or almond butter sandwiches or a one-egg omelet on bread have not given me enough variety. (I await tomato season and turkey bacon and tomato sandwiches—as long as it is a turkey bacon with a smoked flavor.)

I need to find a healthy, plain cracker recipe so that I can eat the avocado concoction as dip.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

You could make a whole wheat flat bread or pita and cut it into wedges then bake it a second time into chips.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

Just had leftovers of spaghetti & meat sauce with garlic toast.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

I started a batch of sauerkraut today, probably about 9 pounds. We'll use it mainly for snacking, I suspect.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

That's a great idea about Pita Chips, Mike. I have a recipe that I've never tried that came from a KAF catalogue. That will be a project for the coming week.

We had leftover pizza tonight.

chocomouse
                          Participant

Dinner tonight was Japchae, really good.

BakerAunt, I often have a wrap for lunch. You could have some fun tweaking recipes to make your own nutritious wraps; I often make my own, but keep a package of store-bought in the freezer. I find they freeze nicely. I usually spread a thin layer of mayo sprinkled with Penzey's Foxpoint or Sandwich Sprinkles, or whatever you like. I happen to dislike avocado, but you could use mashed avocado instead of mayo. (Or, skip the mayo and avocado, but sprinkle the layers of veggies with a flavored balsamic vinegar before wrapping it all up.) Then layer on the veggies -- greens of some sort, onions, sweet peppers, tomato, shredded carrots, beets, zucchini, cabbage, sprouts, etc. Cheese and/or thin slices of leftover meat or bacon will add protein. It's another delicious way to clean out the bits and pieces in the veggie drawer!

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.