What are You Cooking the Week of February 2, 2020?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of February 2, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

On Sunday afternoon, I started making yogurt. It will be in the yogurt maker (actually a warmer or incubator) until around 10 p.m.

For dinner, I'm making Salmon and Couscous. I plan to use Penzey's Mural Seasoning as the spice. We will eat in the front room next to the wood stove because my husband needed to glue part of the clawfoot back on one of my antique dining table's legs, so he has it clamped. I was surprised when it came off, as I had not realized that it was glued. Apparently, that was how it was made over a hundred years ago.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

Tonight we had lima beans ,rice and tomato gravy.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

We're having assorted snacks (with cheese dip), reheated pizza, rye bread and baked pork-n-beans.

chocomouse
          Participant

We had American Chop Suey with sauce made from our frozen garden tomatoes, ground beef, and chopped cauliflower, and a green salad.

BakerAunt
            Participant

For lunch on Monday, I pulled out my recipe for Turkey Wild Rice Soup, which came from a Pillsbury cook booklet (#34), over thirty years ago. The original recipe used ½ cup margarine and half and half. I altered a few years back to unsalted butter and nonfat milk. Today is a further evolution/adaptation of that recipe. I deleted the butter and flour and replaced the 2 cups of nonfat milk with 12 oz. of low-fat (2%) evaporated milk. I used two 6 oz. cans of chicken. (If I waited for leftover chicken or turkey to make this soup, I would wait a long time because there never seems to be any leftovers.)

Results: I prefer roasted chicken or turkey to the canned chicken. The flavor is ok, but I do miss the richness that the butter added. Oddly, the 2 Tbs. of sherry that always gave the 6 cups of broth plus the milk great flavor can hardly be tasted. I’m debating as to whether adding more would help the flavor emerge, or if it’s a matter of the drastic reduction in fat.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

Tonight we're having lima bean soup from leftover lima beans ,rice and tomatoes,I added chicken stock cooked with a carrot and 1 rib of celery and onion.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

Tuna salad sandwich tonight.

RiversideLen
                  Participant

I made sloppy joes yesterday, on lightly toasted buns. The same thing for tonight.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

We had take out from local BBQ of smoked chicken,baked potato and corn on the cob.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

It began to snow in the mid-afternoon on Wednesday, and the snow will continue this evening. It was a perfect day to roast a chicken. I wanted to roast it with vegetables and looked online and found “Roast Chicken and Vegetables,” on the cooking blog “Spend with Pennies,” from Holly Nilsson:

https://www.spendwithpennies.com/roast-chicken-vegetables/

I followed the general instructions, but I used Penzey’s poultry seasoning and some sweet curry in place of the Italian Seasoning. I didn’t use her optional chicken rub but more of the poultry seasoning and sweet curry. The technique of starting the chicken at a high temperature for 12 minutes, then lowering it, works well. The yellow potatoes and small carrots cooked very well. I won’t make this recipe too often, as I try to avoid the fat from the chicken, but it is perfect comfort food for this snowy evening. I used my white Corning Ware oval casserole dish, which is deeper than what I normally use for roasting chicken, but as the chicken sits on the vegetables, it worked well, and created fewer splatters in the oven.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

We got a dusting of snow this morning, but it got up into the 60's over the weekend so things are melting a bit.

We had ground beef stroganoff on home made noodles tonight.

chocomouse
                          Participant

We are forecast to receive 10-18 inches of snow, with some shorter periods of sleet and/or freezing rain, over the next 48 hours, beginning at midnight. It will be our first big storm of the season.

To celebrate, we cooked chicken breasts on the grill, with smashed potatoes using Penzey's Foxpoint seasoning, roasted squash, and a green salad.

navlys
                            Participant

I roasted some (marinated in italian dressing and a little salt) boneless skinless chicken thighs. I mixed up a little ketchup, A1 and strawberry jam and dipped and topped the thighs with it. Roasted them at 425 along with a separate pan of sliced small potatoes which were brushed with olive oil and sprinkled with Culinary Created Seasoning. The latter is an invention of a community member and sold online. Served with local strawberries (we're in Fl.) and pineapples in a little simple syrup. Will repeat when our company comes.

Joan Simpson
                              Participant

We had macaroni and cheese,fried okra and beets.

Italiancook
                                Participant

I awoke early this morning and was in the mood for a restaurant breakfast. But the restaurant wasn't open. I waited over an hour for them to open, but then decided I didn't want to go out in the cold. Headed to the kitchen to make myself a restaurant breakfast. Bacon was in freezer & no sausage. So I settled on my grandmother's hash browns, over easy eggs & juice. Forgot the toast, it's been so long since I went to a restaurant for breakfast. Nevertheless, I was satisfied with the specialness of the meal and the taste. My normal breakfast is slow-cooker oatmeal with fruit.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.