What are You Cooking the Week of February 2, 2020?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of February 2, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

We had spaghetti tonight. I made pasta 2 nights in a row, but today's batch didn't come together quickly, I'm not sure what I did different from last night. It was crumbly for the first several passes through the pasta rollers, so I guess it needed a little more water, but it felt damper than yesterday's batch.

RiversideLen
      Participant

I was planning to make tacos but after dealing with the snow and laundry I lost my ambition so I made a chicken burger (frozen patties) and chicken veggie soup.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

We had leftover lima bean soup with bologna sandwich.

BakerAunt
          Participant

Dinner on Friday night was a grain bowl. I cooked bulgur in turkey broth from the freezer. I sautéed green onion, celery, carrots; I added some kale towards the end, along with leftover ground turkey from the pizza we had earlier in the week. I cooked some frozen peas and added them. Then I added the cooked bulgur. It’s a one-dish meal, based on what was in the refrigerator and freezer. There is enough for leftovers tonight.

chocomouse
            Participant

There wasn't much for dinner here last night, as our power was out due to the snowstorm and trees and electric wires being down. We finally ate cold meat sandwiches so we didn't exactly go to bed hungry.

Today I'm making a big pot of chili for the guys working a charity ice fishing derby tomorrow, when the temp is predicted to be a high of -9.

BakerAunt
              Participant

Did you get your power back, Chocomouse?

Our lake froze over about two or three weeks ago, but the ice was far too thin for any of the usual activities. Warmer temperature and some wind have opened it up, although the shore line across the lake has some ice build-up, just as there is some to the south. We've had about four inches of snow over the last four or five days, so it is a mild winter for us.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

Taco salad for us tonight.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

If she's posting, there's a pretty good chance her power is back on.

We're having a lavash pizza for supper tonight.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

We had rotisserie chicken, the last of the spinach noodles, and a salad of mixed greens and carrots.

chocomouse
                      Participant

We got our power back after about 4 hours. It's the first time we've not had power in several years, thanks to all the tree trimming the company does. I tried to use my cell but the battery was dead -- shows you how often it just sits in my bag, unused!

Today I made chili for the ice fishing derby, and tomato soup for myself. I used the Watts Tea Room recipe that jej posted on the obc. It's a great flavor with plenty of garlic, onion, and basil.

Then for our dinner I made quesadillas using 12" spinach tortillas, with thin sliced leftover chicken, sweet red pepper, sliced onion, shredded cheddar, and Charred Pineapple Relish from Harry and David. They were delicious.

skeptic7
                        Participant

I did Maple Baked Beans from a recipe that I pulled off the internet years ago on Tuesday. My recipe said that is was originally based on a recipe from the "Ontario Maple Syrup Producers Association". It must have been because it called for a humongous amount of maple syrup 2/3 cup. I was trying to use the very dark maple syrup from Canada, but even in pursuit of an experiment I couldn't force myself to add that much maple syrup. I think I added about 1/2 a cup and couldn't talk myself into adding more. This actually turned out very well being sweet but not overly so. One of the things I liked about that recipe is it calls for topping the baked beans with a layer of apples cut into quarters. I had rather large apples so I cut them into eighths.
                          I pulled the recipe from MasterCook, but I can't find a reference to it anymore.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

This might be the recipe, it uses 2/3 of a cup of maple syrup AND a half cup of brown sugar with 2 cups of dried beans. I'm getting a sugar rush just writing this!!

See Maple Baked Beans

skeptic7
                            Participant

Actually thats not the recipe, since mine didn't have the additional brown sugar. Since the original recipe seems to be lost in the internet, and I am not claiming it as mine. I think under fair use, I can reprint it.

------------
                              * Exported from MasterCook *
                              Maple Baked Beans~
                              Recipe By : Sophie Grigson, Style,The Sunday Times, September 29, 1996

500 Grams Dried Cannellini Beans -- Soaked Overnight About 1 pound, about 2 cups
                              1 Ham Knuckle -- Soaked Overnight
                              2 Sprigs Thyme
                              1 Large Sprig Rosemary
                              1 Bay Leaf
                              1 Large Onion -- Chopped
                              4 Cloves Garlic -- Sliced
                              4 Strips Lemon Zest
                              150 Milliliters Maple Syrup about 2/3 of a cup
                              1 Tablespoon Tabasco Or Other Chilli Sauce -- Or More ???
                              1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
                              á Salt And Pepper
                              Topping:
                              3 To 4 Eating Apples, Cored -- Cut Into Eighths
                              30 Grams Butter -- Softened
                              about 2 tablespoons
                              50 Milliliters Rum -- Optional
                              about 1 1/2 tablespoons

Soak the beans overnight in plenty of water, then drain. Put into a pan and
                              cover with fresh water. Boil hard for 10 minutes. Reduce heat and simmer until
                              tender - about 45 to 60 minutes.Drain, reserving cooking water.

Put half the beans, together with half the onion and garlic, into a large, oven
                              proof casserole. Add herbs, tied together with a piece of string. Bury two of
                              the strips of lemon zest in the beans. Lay the ham knuckle on top, then cover
                              with remaining beans, onions, garlic and lemon zest. Mix syrup, Tabasco and
                              mustard and pour over. Season lightly with salt and pepper, then pour over just
                              enough of the reserved cooking water to cover. Cover the casserole tightly and
                              bake at 150F, 300 C,
                              gas mark 2 for 3 hours. Arrange the apple pieces decoratively over the beans.
                              You may not need them all. If there is rather too much liquid left in the dish,
                              scoop a little more out so that the apples can perch more comfortably. Dot with
                              butter and return to the oven for an hour. If using rum, pour it over the top
                              just before serving
                              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                              NOTES : Based on a recipe from the Ontario Maple Syrup Producers Association
                              booklet of maple syrup dishes, this is an unusual take on slow-cooked beans,
                              sweetened with syrup, salted with the juices of the ham and spiced up with
                              Tabasco sauce. The apple slices bring together all the elements, so do not be tempted to leave them out. The rum, however, is not essential.

------------------------------------
                              I left out the ham knuckle and the rum and put in two pieces of candied lemon peel as a subsitute for lemon zest. Also I used 1/2 Tablespoon of Harrisa sauce for the chili sauce as that was available. Skeptic 7

rottiedogs
                              Participant

I think this may actually be the link to the original. It is an interesting take on bake beans!

https://ftp.recipesource.com/fgv/beans-grains/maple-baked1.html

BakerAunt
                                Participant

Rottiedogs: I tried this link, but I get a warning that the site is not secure and a recommendation not to proceed.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.