What are you Cooking the Week of August 8, 2021?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of August 8, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

She's usually a pretty patient healer, probably more so than I am.

chocomouse
      Participant

cwc, I'll have to try that recipe. Looks like a good way to clean out the refrigerator!

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

We had takeout pizza tonight, I'm still a bit tired from traveling and my wife is keeping me busy with caring for her shoulder. I might get around to cooking something later this week, especially if it cools off a bit.

kimbob
          Participant

Cwcdesign, yum!

cwcdesign
            Participant

chocomouse, here are the proportions if you're interested. Original recipe was for a creamy lemon squash pasta

3 tablespoons butter
              recipe called for herbs, 2 garlic cloves (I used 4 cuz that's just us) and lemon zest
              1 pound pasta (I used a fun shape)
              2 shredded summer squash (original was 1 zucchini, 1 summer) mixed in at the same time as the pasta
              4 cups stock, or you could use water
              1 cup ricotta (or plain yogurt, sour cream, cream cheese or a combination)
              ½ cup cheese - I definitely used more

Regarding yogurt - I use the Fage 5% which is actually whole milk. I find it not to be as sour as some of the other Greek yogurts -YMMV and I sub it into anything that uses mayonnaise - about half and half - none of us notice the difference except that things like chicken salad or ranch dressing taste "lighter"

chocomouse
              Participant

Thanks, cwcdesign! I will make it soon.
                Yesterday I made candied orange peel, using a recipe and detailed instructions from Mrs. Chiu on the old Baking Circle. I keep them in the freezer, and use in muffins, coffeecakes, etc whenever I want an orange or tropical fruit flavor, and in the much loved (or dreaded) Christmas fruit cake.

skeptic7
                Participant

Chocomouse;
                  For me candied orange peel is a seasonable activity -- winter season when the house is cold and dry and can use extra humidity in the air. My orange peel is in the refrigerator, I used to think it was dry enough and sugary enough that it could be stored in the cabinet. Now I refrigerated it to prevent mold.

I'm doing a beef stew from an old and tried recipe. Its the recipe for Beef Stew with Burgandy in "The Cookbook Decoder" by Arthur E. Grosser 1981. I've loved this cookbook since I got it, which was either a gift from my brother, or a theft from the same brother. Now I'm looking at it with new eyes. It asks for 4 onions and 2 carrots. Today I am using 1 large onion and 4 small carrots. This is so horribly imprecise. 4 onions could be a pound of onions or half a pound. Carrots can be small and skinny or large and fat.

The recipe calls for flouring the beef cubes and searing them to seal in the juices. This is now known not to work. I do it anyway for the flavor, and because I like the thicker juice caused by adding flour to the stew. The recipe says the stew beef should be in 1 inch cubes. I've done that before, but today I thought it too small and fussy and am using larger hunks.

I wish this recipe was more precise with respect to the ingredients, but one of the things I learned from this recipe is that stews don't need to be precise. 2 carrots make a good stew, so do 4 carrots. Some celery is a good addition, also some turnips. 1 1/2 cups of burgandy is good, 2 cups of California red is good. If I was eschewing alcohol, I could put in a couple of cups of V8.

chocomouse
                  Participant

Yes, Skeptic, candied peels is a great dry cold weather project! I had quite a few oranges leftover from feeding the Baltimore Orioles earlier this summer. You can also freeze the peels in zip lock bags until you have enough to bother with the process.

This morning I made a big pot of chili, before the temperature rose to 96* this afternoon. I'm leaving town for 2 weeks, and my husband asked me to make some for his meals. Otherwise, making chili is too hot a project for these days.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

We had chicken potpie with a lettuce and tomato salad with mayonnaise.

Chocomouse enjoy your trip,safe traveling!

BakerAunt
                      Participant

I made yogurt today.

cwcdesign
                        Participant

I made tuna salad for dinner

Janiebakes
                          Participant

We had kimchi fried rice. I know, when my husband showed me the recipe from the NYTs I thought, yeah, never! But we found some mild kimchi at Costco and it turned out very well. Infinitely changeable ingredients, the only musts are kimchi, rice and eggs. Any kind of rice will do. The recipe called for Spam but ham or any cold cut will work or skip the meat altogether. If the rice is already cooked dinner is on the table in 15 minutes. I misread the recipe the first time and scrambled the eggs in with the hot rice instead of frying them separately and serving on top but we liked it that way so continue to do so.

kimbob
                            Participant

Made some apple jelly this morning.

kimbob
                              Participant

Here's a pic, hopefully. 😊

Attachments:
                                You must be logged in to view attached files.
                                RiversideLen
                                Participant

Wishing your wife a speedy recovery, Mike.

I made an asparagus omelet for brunch. Haven't decided on dinner but it's starting to feel like a hamburger.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.