What are you Cooking the Week of August 1, 2021?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of August 1, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Cabbage has gotten expensive here, I saw it at $1.19 a pound the other day. My wife doesn't care for cooked cabbage, either, but she like sauerkraut.

Joan Simpson
      Participant

Tonight I cooked a small pot of chili and we had this over a hotdog with cheese and onion on top.

RiversideLen
        Participant

I had a leftover burger on a fresh baked bun with some sweet and hot sauteed peppers from my garden and a microwaved ear of corn a neighbor had given me from his farm (a retired firefighter, he bought a farm a few years ago as a weekend getaway).

Joan Simpson
          Participant

We had leftover beef and gravy with mashed potatoes and leftover green butter beans.

BakerAunt
            Participant

I made peach jam on Wednesday and canned six 4 oz. jars and one 8-oz. jar. I use the peach jam in the glaze on my turkey loaf, so it made sense to can it in the small jars. I am running out of 8 oz., jars, and I used up all available 4 oz. ones. I had bought six peaches at the farmer’s market (how the vendor sells them), and it turned out that I was short what I needed for the lower-sugar peach jam, so I had to stop and run to the local store. The peaches there were not ripe enough, so I bought a bag of frozen peaches and defrosted them, but they were still rather tough to smash for the jam. However, I got it done.

For Wednesday night dinner, I roasted a chicken. I made a pasta salad, following the general recipe at Olive Tomato for the Greek salad with rotini. I used cucumber, green onion, a purple bell pepper, cherry tomatoes, black olives, feta, and seasoned the olive oil and red wine vinegar dressing with 3 tsp. of Penzey’s Sandwich Sprinkle blend. I had been craving pasta salad, and it was delicious. I knew it would not work for my husband’s stomach, however, so I cooked some bulgur in the broth I got from cooking the chicken neck (sometimes it is included and sometimes not), and I made gravy with the chicken drippings. He was happy. We also had microwaved green beans from our garden. There are plenty of leftovers for the next few days.

RiversideLen
              Participant

I ordered Chinese delivery, an assorted appetizer plate (egg rolls, pot stickers and crab Rangoon), won ton soup and sesame chicken. I have enough left for tomorrows lunch and dinner.

BakerAunt
                Participant

On Thursday, I made yogurt. I also made broth from the bones of the chicken we roasted last night and the bones from the turkey that were in the freezer. We re-ran last night’s dinner, except that we had microwaved fresh broccoli instead of green beans.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

I cooked a boneless chicken breast in a pot with BBQ sauce,we had this over rice and left over white acre peas on the side.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

Taco salad tonight.

chocomouse
                      Participant

We had sirloin steak tips, steamed broccoli, and a "cheesey zucchini/summer squash bake", a new recipe. It was very good, but next time I will make less of the cheesey sauce. What is not good about onions, garlic, and cheese?!

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

Today I char grilled a boneless chicken breast,creamed corn and I tried one of those rice and pasta sides by Knorr with cheese and broccoli which my husband didn't like.I thought it was ok but I won't ever by that again.

cwcdesign
                          Participant

Will's making pizzas tonight! Homemade sauce from some of the tomatoes we got from the garden - he made and froze it. Sourdough crust and an assortment of toppings. Will report back after dinner

RiversideLen
                            Participant

I had made KAB's Ultra thin pizza crust a little while back but without the Durum flour. I have bought a bag of it and made a batch with it the other day. Some little things I changed, when I made it the first time the crust bubbled up a bit while baking. That is the result of using more yeast than necessary, so this time I reduced the yeast from 1 tsp to 1/2. I also reduced the salt from 1 tsp to 1/2. I also subbed 1/2 of the AP flour with whole wheat. The recipe says to make two pizzas from it but I divide it into three. I made the first one last night (also with homemade sauce from my garden tomatoes). The crust still bubbled up so I think next time I will reduce the yeast again and use only 1/4 tsp. Otherwise the pizza was good but I don't know if I can tell a difference from the one I made yesterday and the original batch in which I did not have the Durum flour.

Tonight's dinner will be another pizza and a salad.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by RiversideLen.
                              kimbob
                              Participant

Finally got around to cutting the basil which grew really well this year. Made pesto yesterday morning and on the way back from the nursing home stopped at the farmer's market and bought a rosemary focaccia. Had pasta with pesto. I just love it. My husband had veal parm. He doesn't like pesto. How is that possible? Lol

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

I'm not that fond of pesto either, and since it usually has pine nuts and garlic, both of which my wife can't handle, it isn't something we make.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.