What are You Cooking the Week of April 14, 2019?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of April 14, 2019?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    RiversideLen
    Participant

Same as yesterday, Matzo ball soup and leftover pork roast.

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I've never had faro, is it similar to couscous?

Joan Simpson
        Participant

Today we're having cold plates,chicken salad,green salad with just lettuce and tomatoes stirred with mayonnaise,deviled eggs,beets and crackers.Jello and cottage cheese for later on tonight.

BakerAunt
          Participant

Mike--I tried looking up farro on the internet, and apparently there are three different varieties and some variation in spelling. What I use is sold by Bob's Red Mill. In appearance, it looks somewhat like pearl barley. The package gives two ways of cooking it. I follow the method of rinsing it well, then adding it to boiling water or broth and simmering, covered for 30 minutes. If the broth is not absorbed, I cook it down. The other method calls for soaking overnight, then cooking for about 10 minutes.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Tonight we had lavash pizza, which has been our go-to dish lately, it's fast and easy and the lavash come 3 to a package so when you buy a package you need to make it several times or do something else with lavash.

Italiancook
              Participant

Lunch today will be lamb chops and roasted turnips with roasted mushrooms. I've never before roasted turnips, although I like them a lot. They're a good substitute for potatoes, which I can no longer eat for medical reasons. I pulled the recipe off Food Network, and it looks as easy as roasting any other vegetable.

Dinner will be chef's salad with vinegar & oil dressing. I picked up radicchio and Boston lettuce at the store this morning, along with green onions and mushrooms. I'll add hardboiled eggs and call it a meal. We'll eat chef's salads over the next few days until the lettuce and radicchio are gone, but I may use a different dressing.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

Have you looked into whether parsnips would also be an acceptable substitute for potatoes?

BakerAunt
                  Participant

For Thursday night's dinner, I made my healthier version of my mother's hamburger stroganoff, which we had over a mix of brown and a mixed rice blend (a combination that Bob's Red Mill does not appear to sell anymore.) We had microwaved fresh broccoli as the side dish.

chocomouse
                    Participant

I made a turkey-broccoli braid and a batch of Duchess soup for dinner. Perfect on this dreary, drizzling, chilly day.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

OK, what on earth is a turkey-broccoli braid?

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

Tonight we had spaghetti and meat sauce with garlic bread,jello and cottage cheese for a snack.

RiversideLen
                          Participant

Today I just made veg chicken noodle soup and had it with a store bought rotisserie chicken.

chocomouse
                            Participant

The braid is like stromboli, but is shaped into a faux braid. I first learned about it years ago through Pampered Chef, except they use canned, refrigerated biscuit dough, and I use my pizza dough recipe. You may have seen the sweet dough lemon braid that KAF does. This filling was turkey, broccoli, red pepper, onion, shredded cheddar, garlic, and dill. I often use whatever meat and veggies I have left in the fridge. Not only is it tasty, it looks impressive on a potluck table!

Italiancook
                              Participant

Mike, I believe parsnips are a starch, but I have no idea if I'm right. I have considered using them as a potato substitute, but I don't think I like them. Raw, I do not, although cooked, I might. Now that you've brought this up, I'll plan on buying some and roasting them.

A while back, I tried making mashed turnips, in the same way I would mashed potatoes. They were too watery. The Neely's (Food Network) have a recipe for mashed turnips that use 1 potato, also. I guess that's so the starch from the potato will hold the turnips together in the mash.

The roasted turnips from yesterday were good overall. I roasted with skins on, and I don't think I like the taste of the skins. Next time, I'll peel them. The roasted mushrooms were scrumptious, & there are more roasted mushrooms in my future.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

Parsnips are similar, nutritionally, to potatoes, though there's a little more sugar in them so they're slightly higher in calories and carbs.

Parsnip mash is a fairly common side dish in England.

I use them mainly to add a little sweetness to chicken stock. It's the ingredient that makes chicken soup taste 'right'.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.