What are You Cooking the Week of April 14, 2019?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of April 14, 2019?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

For Sunday dinner, I plan to roast chicken thighs, since we happened upon a great deal at the grocery yesterday. I also plan to roast sweet potatoes and drizzle them with maple syrup. We will have microwaved peas from the freezer as the side dish.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

I had open face sloppy joes and chips,my husband had a baked potato and sandwich.

chocomouse
        Participant

Baked beans, hot dogs, and home-made brown bread!

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

Take-out chicken

Italiancook
            Participant

Last week, I made a grilled cheese with leftover mozzarella and fontina. I loved it. I like fontina more than I thought I would. So that's dinner tonight.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

Open faced sloppy joe's and salad again.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

We had spaghetti with meat sauce tonight.

RiversideLen
                  Participant

I made a small pork roast tonight, seasoned it with Gateway to the North from the Spice House (good stuff!). I love matzo balls but haven't had them in a while so I recently bought some matzo meal and made matzo ball veg soup. Yeah, I threw a few noodles in there too. The veggies are bok choy, carrot and orange cauliflower.

Soup

Attachments:
                    You must be logged in to view attached files.
                    Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

Len, do you make your matzoh balls the traditional way, with rendered chicken fat?

I haven't had a matzoh ball soup in a long time, yours looks good.

RiversideLen
                      Participant

Thanks Mike, it was good but I remember the ones at the Jewish deli being a little better. I used olive oil and egg whites. I'm happy with how it came out.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

I find pure chicken fat a bit assertive, I think olive oil would be even more so, and I seldom cook with it, in part because a close friend and my brother-in-law are both allergic to olives, so I just don't like having it around. Last time I made matzoh balls I used a combination of vegetable oil and a little chicken fat.

Back when I was visiting NYC on a regular basis, the ones at the Carnegie Deli (now closed) were good, but the ones at the Roxy (near Times Square) were better, and the best ones I had were in a little hole-in-the-wall place in Chelsea. I thought the ones at Katz's were only so-so, but their pastrami is first-rate.

When we were first married there was a great deli a few blocks from our apartment (in the Rogers Park neighborhood of Chicago), we usually just got bagels from them but their soups were excellent and their matzoh balls were larger than a baseball!

KIDPIZZA
                          Participant

CHOCOMOUSE:
                            Good morning. Next time consider havivg your hot dog meal with mashed potatoes & rye bread (with caraway seeds) of course.....sometimes with just a little saurkraut (spelling) on top of the hot dogs.

When I was a boy in Jr.hi school, this was my favorite dinner. I had it every thurs for lunch at leaornard's diner for .35 cents.. my mom let me have that please It was in Jackie Gleasons (TV Comedian) neiguborhood, where he was born & lived, HALSEY district
                            in Brooklyn, NU YOLK
                            My poor Mother could not understand this event of mine. Always trying to talk me out of it. Insisting that peanut butter sandwich's & hot dogs were not good enough food for her son.
                            But I still have it once in a while.

Enjoy the day my friend

CASS, ~KIDPIZZA.

chocomouse
                            Participant

Hi, Cass! So good to see you post, and know that you are checking on us still! Actually, my husband ate the brown bread, and I had my hot dog on the pumpernickel with caraway seeds that I had made a few days ago. But we are New Englanders, and we ALWAYS have baked beans with our hot dogs! Mashed potato or sauerkraut, or even onions and chili are verboten, although I love them all. My favorite hot dog is one that is cooked on a stick over a wood fire, and charred a bit on the ends. I have one of those every fall, when we do our annual corn roast. it's good for for the soul, if not the body! For many years, my husband and his father always ate their hot dogs in buns smeared with peanut butter, which we thought was an odd combination.

Joan Simpson
                              Participant

Yes I agree..Nice to see you posting Cass!

Tonight I had chili.My husband had soup and sandwich.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

It's great to hear from you, Cass!

For dinner on Tuesday night, I made my Dijon and Peach Glazed Turkey and Zucchini Loaf. I doubled the zucchini, doubled the adobo seasoning, increased the oats by 50% and did the same with the glaze recipe. To go with it, I experimented with a farro risotto. I began by cooking 1 cup of farro in 3 cups of my homemade chicken/turkey broth. Meanwhile, I sautéed cut carrots and celery, then sliced mushrooms in grapeseed oil. I added green onions at the end. When the farro had cooked for 30 minutes, I uncovered and boiled off most of the liquid, before adding the faro to the vegetable mixture. I then grated some Parmesan and stirred it in. We liked it a lot, and it made a perfect accompaniment to the glazed turkey loaf.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.