What are you Baking the Week of October 9, 2022?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of October 9, 2022?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    cwcdesign
    Participant

I guess that's my bad on the whole milk - I remember being told probably 15 years ago that whole milk was 5%, but I just looked it up and it concurs with what you said, Mike. But whole milk Greek yogurt - at least Fage which is what I use is 5%. Whatever the percentage, I prefer it.

My question still is - with 2 cups of milk would that make up for some of the protein in the egg, if I took the egg out of the recipe?

RiversideLen
      Participant

The way they process milk is to remove all the fat, so they have skim milk, and then they add in fat to make whole, 2%, 1% etc, so they could add any amount they want to. So, 5% might not be how the cow produced it, it's not a problem for the dairy.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

The lecithin from the egg might be more significant than the protein, there's probably enough liquid in the milk that the tablespoon or so of water in an egg isn't going to affect the recipe much.

Sometimes, however, leaving an ingredient out, or adding one by mistake, has unexpected effects. We discovered that you can make waffles just fine without eggs by forgetting to add the eggs once.

cwcdesign
          Participant

Interesting Len, I did not know that they processed all the fat out. I assumed that the processing was for 2% and skim and that the whole milk was what they started with. I forgot that when we got milk from the local dairy when I was a kid, we had to shake to combine the cream on top with the milk below. But then again, the milk was still really good on it's own.

Thanks, Mike - I think I will leave the egg out next time. I'm thinking that part of the reason it's there is to add "fluffiness."

chocomouse
            Participant

Today I baked orange-ginger scones and chocolate chip cookies. The cookie recipe is KAF oatmeal-chocolate chip from their Bake of the Year a few years ago. I'd never tried these, but I will make them again. They are soft and chewy. I cut way back on the amount of chips, as many posters had suggested, so I used a scant 2 cups instead of 3.

BakerAunt
              Participant

I baked Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers on Thursday from dough I made last week. I got my flu shot today, so I am feeling it in my arm, but I could still get the dough rolled. I will wait until next week to get the new Covid-19 shot.

navlys
                Participant

I baked baklava bites using Natasha's Kitchen recipe. The only tricky part was the syrup. I didn't bring the syrup to a rolling boil initially and then has to guess what the consistency should be. I should have looked at the pictures before hand. They were well received at our Greek wine night event.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

Sounds yummy, Navlys!

BakerAunt
                    Participant

I have been finding great baking apples (Spy Gold) and pears at the farmers' market. When I saw a link in last week's Washington Post recipe email to "Apple and Pear Cake with Citrus and Nuts," from Becky Krystal, I knew that I wanted to bake it. I also knew that I wanted to make a few changes. I used half barley flour and half King Arthur AP. I added 4 Tbs. Bob's Red Mill milk powder. I used ¼ tsp. sea salt in place of twice that much kosher salt. I reduced the sugar from 400g to 375 g, and I left the peel on the apples and the pear. The recipe requires commitment, as after zesting an orange and lemon, they must be peeled, any seeds removed, coarsely chopped, then combined with a stick blender.

Instead of using a 12-15 cup Bundt pan, I used two 6-cup Bundt pans, coated with a new batch of The Grease. One is the traditional shape, and the other is swirled. I baked for 48 minutes, and possibly could have baked slightly less. After ten minutes, the traditional Bundt pan easily gave up its cake, The swirl was a bit stubborn but eventually came out clean. I think that with the swirls, it might need to bake slightly less due to the sharp edges. The cakes are cooling on racks on the counter. One will go into the freezer, and the other (the swirl) will be sliced for desserts, starting tomorrow evening.

The yellow pears we have been getting for the past month have been delicious. The grower offers a variety of vegetables, but apples are his major crop, along with unpasteurized cider. He has two pear trees are on his property, but he does not know what kind they are, so they must have been there when he bought the land. The pear I used for the cake is more of a green pear. I have not seen many people buying them, but that may be because many people do not realize that pears need to ripen off the tree and be eaten as soon as ready.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

I made a small peach cobbler in a 2 qt.dish.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

On Saturday, I baked three loaves of my more whole wheat Grandma A's Ranch Hand Bread. Two will go into the freezer, and we will slice into the other one at lunch tomorrow.

We cut the cake I baked yesterday, and it is delicious. Although it is fine without the 1/4 cup of sugar I omitted, I think that I would include it next time to balance the citrus. The lemon I used was also large and half of it would also tame the more pronounced lemon flavor.

aaronatthedoublef
                          Participant

Thursday I made ciabatta. I'll make more sourdough this week. I'm going to try ciabatta pizza again this week.

Sam had a track meet about an hour away Saturday so we made cookies for him. It is the one recipe my mom gave me of hers. Mom called these ginger snaps but they're really molasses cookies.

Moms-wViolet-1-Small-10142022

Moms-wViolet-2-Small-10142022

Moms-wViolet-3-Small-10142022

Violet-and-Sam-Small-10152022

Attachments:
                            You must be logged in to view attached files.
                            Joan Simpson
                            Participant

Yummy Aaron cookies look perfect and flat just like they're suppose to be!Seeing Violet bake with you makes my heart smile! Sam is blessed to have family to travel with too!Family is everything!Good looking family!

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

I haven't made Big Lake Judy's molasses cookie recipe (which also has ginger in it) in a long time, but they're really good.

See https://mynebraskakitchen.com/wordpress/forums/topic/biglakejudys-molasses-cookies/

I especially like the fact that they're made with just whole wheat flour.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

It was heartwarming to read about, and see pictures of, Violet helping to bake her grandmother's ginger or molasses cookies for her big brother's track meet. I was eyeing the cookies, and then Mike mentioned Big Judy's Molasses cookies, which I baked for the first time this summer, and I thought, these would be great for the fall weather....

Now you can read about it in my post for next week's baking!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.