What are you Baking the Week of November 8, 2020?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of November 8, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I plan to make some caraway rye bread to go with the ham for supper, I just haven't decided what recipe yet.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I started Sunday with Cornmeal-Rye Waffles, a half-recipe from the King Arthur Whole Grain Baking Book. I bought medium ground cornmeal instead of fine ground by accident, so I used it, and it gave a slight crunch to the waffles.

cwcdesign
        Participant

I made a loaf of the Honey Oatmeal pan de mie from KAF subbing in 1 cup of WWW and Irish meal for the oatmeal. It’s the best looking loaf I’ve made in a long time. We’re going to use it for dinner tonight

BakerAunt
          Participant

I baked the Rustic Sourdough--KABC recipe, but I adapted it. I did not get as much oven spring as in the past. I think that was due to my using some Irish Wholemeal Flour. I baked it in a hearth bread pan (metal, with sloping sides and a wider flat bottom) that I bought years ago from KAF. The loaf is 4 inches high, so it is ok, just not what I was trying to do. I'll add a note to this post after we cut into it at lunch tomorrow.

chocomouse
            Participant

Today I made a dozen hot dog buns, to stock the freezer.
              Yesterday I made a blueberry cobbler. I've now tossed out the recipe, because it in very incorrect. The dough mixed up very soupy, and although I added a lot of flour, I didn't get it the "bisquity" stage. Flavor is good, however, and we will eat it with it's very soft, tender, cakey dough.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

A friend of mine was telling me about her cobbler recipe over the weekend, but I'm not sure if she's ready to publish it.

KAF used to sell a 'deli rye' pan, is that the same as the hearth pan? How similar is it to this pan:
                Hearth Pan

rottiedogs
                Participant

The old KAF pan is about the same size and shape. The big difference is the bottom is perforated not solid. It makes a lovely loaf of bread.

cwcdesign
                  Participant

BA when I was trying to use my Irish meal in the spring, I spoke with KAF to see how I could substitute with it. Turns out it doesn’t have much gluten and can’t be used in place of regular flours. It’s meant for quick breads. That’s why I substituted it for the oatmeal.

I also forgot to mention that the recipe called for 2 teaspoons of yeast. I reduced it to 1½ because of the WWW and the Irish meal. It wasn’t as soft as the last time, but now I know I can cut it back to 1 teaspoon next time and I think that will help the texture.

This is definitely a keeper recipe

BakerAunt
                    Participant

Yes, Mike, that is the pan, as Rottiedogs says. However, mine was before the USA pans were available, so it is dark colored, and I think the metal is not as thick. At some point, I'd like to get a USA one.

You are correct CWCdesign. The Irish whole meal flour should not be used in place of flour with gluten. I have sneaked some in before for flavor; my mistake was to increase the amount as much as I did. the bread is ok, about 4 inches tall, but I would have had the oven spring I've had in the past if I had just used whole wheat flour. I'll use the whole meal flour in some other baking.

RiversideLen
                      Participant

Nothing today but I made a batch of pizza dough for the next several days. Some semolina with the balance equally divided between AP and WW.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

On Tuesday, I baked my Eggnog Cake (recipe posted at Nebraska Kitchen). I made the version with oil and the substituted 1 cup of barley flour. I baked it in Nordic Ware mini Harvest Loaf pans. Each pan is set up for six mini loaves, so the recipe makes twelve. I had this low-fat Eggnog frozen from last year.

cwcdesign
                          Participant

I made my English Muffin dough this morning. It's doing it's 8 hour ferment (as Baking Steel calls it) and then in the fridge overnight. It's easier to make the dough balls for the muffins when the dough is cold, so I'll do that in the am, proof them for a few hours and bake!

I watched the video and discovered that I had been overworking the dough - it is definitely rising now which is great.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

I made two loaves of semolina bread today, using the Hamelman recipe, though I did use butter instead of olive oil.

I need to make some more bread in the Pullman pan for croutons, I may make the Austrian malt/semolina one or I may use the Double Crust bread recipe that Paddy posted years ago, I just have to figure out how much dough to make. I'm guessing the full recipe (32 ounces of flour) would be too much, because that dough rises a lot.

cwcdesign
                              Participant

I took my English muffin dough out of the fridge this morning, made the dough balls and set them aside to proof. In the video they were talking about proofing them for 4 hours - I think I over-proofed them by forgetting that the video was made in New England in April - it is currently 78 with 95% humidity - 2½ to 3 hours would have been plenty. But they are still much better than the last batch - same size dough balls were much larger and they taste great.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

I made the Clonmel Double Crusty bread in a Pullman pan today, I used around 26 ounces of flour and it didn't quite fill out the corners on the top, so if I make it again I'd probably increase the flour by about an ounce. I'm going to use most of it for croutons.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.