What are you Baking the week of November 29, 2020?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the week of November 29, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

The standard ratio for reconstituting dry milk is 3 TB plus a cup of water to make a cup of milk.

I prefer baker's dry milk (King Arthur sells it, among others), it has been heated to make sure the protease enzymes have been disabled. You can accomplish the same thing with milk by heating it to at least 170 degrees. (I usually allow it to cool back to room temperature before using it.)

BakerAunt
      Participant

On Wednesday, I baked Pumpkin Oat Muffins, a recipe that I adapted from a Taste of Home recipe. My version uses half whole wheat, my own blend of spices, halves the salt, adds 3 Tbs. Bob’s Red Mill milk powder, and adds 2 Tbs. oat bran. I deleted ½ cup of raisins, as I do not care for raisins in my pumpkin breads. I used Christmas muffin cup papers, spritzed with canola spray, and I sprinkled the muffins with red and green sugar before baking. We had a muffin for dessert tonight, and we will have them at breakfast or as snacks over the next few days.

Italiancook
        Participant

Does Bakers Dry Milk have a shelf life? My belief, right or wrong, is that dry milk sold in grocery stores has an indefinite shelf life. I use the bakers dry milk so seldom and have a good-sized container of it, so I'm hoping it has a super long shelf life.

Italiancook
          Participant

Joan, you started a trend, and I've followed behind you and Len. I decided to make a recipe Mike told us about for Easy Cinnamon Rolls for Two. It makes 4. The dough is on its first rise now. Once they're panned, I'll refrigerate them overnight and bake in the morning for breakfast.

It's taken me a long time to try this recipe. It calls for a 6" or 7" square pan, which I don't have. The picture with the recipe makes it look like the author used a Corning Ware dish. I have one that size, but it can't be replaced. I have certain savory meals I use it for and didn't want to use it for cinnamon rolls. I found 6" cake pans, and I'll use one for these rolls. Since it's not as high as the Corning Ware, I hope I don't end up with the rolls rising over and down the edge of the pan by morning . . . runaway rolls.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by Italiancook.
            Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I think they'll do fine in your pan, I've been known to make them in a king sized muffin tin, too.

As to the shelf life of bakers special dry milk, it is somewhat hygroscopic, so you need to keep it well sealed. It takes me about 2 years to go through a package of it, sometimes I have to bust it up a bit if it hardens. I buy it several packages at a time and freeze them, that doesn't seem to affect it at all.

BakerAunt
              Participant

I've occasionally had to put the chunks of Special Dried Milk in my food processor to get it back to powder.

Skeptic--Your Ginger Cornbread sounds good.

RiversideLen
                Participant

I made a maple glaze for the rolls. I use part whole wheat and add 3/4 cup of oats to the dough. I used the cinnamon filling from King Arthur although I added a little more cinnamon to it. It came out good.

IMG_0947

Attachments:
                  You must be logged in to view attached files.
                  Italiancook
                  Participant

Mighty fine cinnamon rolls, Len. Look scrumptious!

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

Len your rolls look very good.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

Now I want cinnamon rolls! Len, I also like to incorporate whole wheat and oats into my rolls.

Italiancook
                        Participant

Mike, you were right -- I didn't end up with runaway cinnamon rolls. In fact, they had barely risen on the sides in the refrigerator overnight. They're put into a cold oven, and their expansion occurred while the oven preheated. The 6" round cake pan worked perfectly.

RiversideLen
                          Participant

Thanks everyone. I had intended to put chopped toasted walnuts on the glaze but I didn't get around to it.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

I baked cornbread on Friday to go with beef stew. For the cornmeal, I used ¾ cup fine grind and ¼ cup medium grind cornmeal, which makes for a nice contrast with just a bit of chewiness.

chocomouse
                              Participant

This morning I made Banana Zucchini Muffins from the I Am Baker site; trying to clean out the freezer a little bit. I added about a cup of home-made cinnamon chips, and they are very good.

cwcdesign
                                Participant

On Thursday, I made a loaf of Maple Oat Soda Bread from KABC. I'm glad I read all the comments. I only had old-fashioned oats which I soaked in mostly buttermilk and a little water. The recipe called for buttermilk powder which I don't have. A note was that if you only had old-fashioned and not the thick oats to add another ¼ cup water to the oats before mixing into the dry ingredients.
                                  Then a maple butter glaze on top after it came out of the oven.
                                  It was delicious - we polished it off in two days!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.