What are you Baking the Week of May 16, 2021?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of May 16, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I'm making some cinnamon/maple fan tan rolls from the freezer this morning.

Spread the word
      chocomouse
      Participant

Did you have these all made up, with the filling inside, ready to bake (just needing to rise)? I'm curious to know how well they freeze and then bake up.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

Yes, I made two batches of them several weeks ago (using two different methods of putting the cinnamon/sugar/maple syrup in between layers.) They don't rise as much as I'd like.

The ones I made yesterday went into the oven after just a few minutes out of the freezer, the ones I made today I got out of the freezer around midnight last night and put them in the fridge overnight. I still need to try some that have been allowed to defrost on the counter and sit for a few hours. The problem is, I want these for breakfast, and I don't want to have to get up two or three hours ahead of breakfast and go out to the freezer in the garage. I suppose I could try getting some out and letting them sit on the counter all night.

cwcdesign
          Participant

Not exactly baking, but I tried a recipe for Two Ingredient Chocolate Mousse - just Chocolate chips and heavy cream. Only thing is I got lazy and didn’t want to use my stand mixer, so I whipped the cream with my hand blender. It got to soft peaks, but it didn’t hold well. It was a little dense, but will definitely make again and use the mixer.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Last night I got two of the cinnamon/maple fan tan rolls out of the freezer and put them sit in the silicone cups I use for baking them and then left them on the counter overnight, covered. I baked them this morning.

Did they rise a bit more than the ones that hadn't sat out long enough for the yeast to resume activity? Yeah, but I'm not sure it made a big difference.

So, if I know I want cinnamon rolls in the morning, I might take them out of the freezer at bedtime, but if I don't, it doesn't seem to make much difference to take them out in the morning.

Increasing the amount of yeast, or using osmotolerant yeast, might help, too.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

By 'hand blender' did you mean a stick blender? I haven't tried using my Bamix for whipping cream, but I used to make it with an egg beater, though I was a lot younger and stronger then.

I wonder if a frother has enough power to whip cream?

My son bought one of those CO2 charged foamers, I don't know how much he uses it. They always seem like too much work to clean afterwards.

BakerAunt
                Participant

Twice I have had a reaction to cream that was produced with a CO2 foamer and put atop a coffee drink--once at a coffee shop and once at Olive Garden. It did not happen all the time, but I nixed the whipped cream after the second experience.

cwcdesign
                  Participant

Yes, I meant a stick blender. My hand is still not strong enough to whip with a whisk, so I tried it. I was given one of those CO2 foamers years ago. It did make good whipped cream, but it was a bear to clean and the replacement cartridges were a little pricy (it was a gift).

I don’t know if a frother would work - our espresso machine at work makes froth, obviously, but the froth doesn’t hold up for very long.

There was also no sugar in the recipe for the whipped cream. That can help stabilize it. But since we didn’t need sweeter cream, I think the stand mixer is my best bet.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

To go with leftover pea soup on Monday, I again baked my adaptation of the KABC Dutch Oven Dinner Rolls. I adapted the recipe further by making it 2/3 whole wheat and increasing the water slightly. Although they are a bit less light in texture, we both like them.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

I'm trying a variant on the semolina rye bread, I took about 1/5 of the total flour, added some water, and a tablespoon of my rye starter and I'm letting it sit, possibly overnight.

Janiebakes
                        Participant

I made aother batch of the Oaty Biscuits from the war time rationing blog. Here is the basic recipe.
                          4 oz (115 g) margarine or butter.
                          3 oz (85 g) of sugar
                          7 oz (200 g) of rolled oats
                          5 oz (150 g) self-raising flour or plain flour sifted with 1 teaspoon of baking powder and a pinch of salt
                          1 reconstituted dried egg or fresh egg
                          A little milk if needed

Form into walnut sized balls, flatten on parchment lined baking sheet and bake at 350 for 15 minutes.

So far I have subbed oat flour for the self rising flour, subbed brown sugar for the white sugar and both of those worked. Today I subbed golden unsulfered molasses for the sugar. I followed the instructions at https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/blog/2017/08/18/baking-with-liquid-sweeteners. It was very informative. I used 3.9 ozs of molasses to completely replace the sugar.The cookies came out great. A little more crumbly than crunchy but the edges of the oat flakes were crisp. The cookies just cried out for raisins. Trying to figure out the nutritional info I ran across the best recipe calorie and nutrition calculator I have seen. https://www.verywellfit.com/recipe-nutrition-analyzer-4157076 Calories, fiber, saturated fat, vitamins... does it all.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

Here's my semolina rye bread, I made it as a boule about 6 inches in diameter and 2 1/2 inches high. I'll slice into it tomorrow.

semolina-rye

Attachments:
                            You must be logged in to view attached files.
                            Joan Simpson
                            Participant

Nice looking bread Mike.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

An Excellent, loaf, Mike!

On Wednesday, I baked my Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers from dough that I made up last week.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

It's got an interesting taste, a bit of sour from the rye starter, but not excessively so for me, I had a sandwich on it for lunch and a piece toasted for a mid-afternoon snack, both were good. I suspect my wife might find it a bit too sour for her, though it might work for a Reuben, where the sauerkraut tends to be the dominant flavor. I added a little caraway seed, but can barely taste it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.