What are you Baking the Week of March 7, 2021?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of March 7, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

No plans yet here, yet, I just bought a big bag of rye flour so I'm getting ready to resume my rye exploits, though.

Spread the word
      cwcdesign
      Participant

I'm thinking about making some pita and Will is making more sourdough. May also have to make something sweet

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I'm going to need to make semolina bread soon, maybe tomorrow.

I just got the course material for next Sunday's class on bread scoring, now I need to decide if I want to have some dough ready to practice on during the class or wait until afterwards.

BakerAunt
          Participant

I spent Sunday afternoon in the kitchen. I used my Nordic Ware Quartet Bundt pan to make four Apple, Barley, and Olive Oil small cakes. Two will be wrapped and frozen, and two will be desserts for the next few dinners. The cakes used five of the old-fashioned Winesaps. I have seven left.

I also made the dough for another batch of my Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers. I’ll bake those at the end of the week.

chocomouse
            Participant

I made rye bread, using the KAF recipe "Caraway Rye Bread" which I have made a number of times. I used pumpernickel flour, and pickle juice in place of most of the water. It is a slow riser, so I left it for 3 hours on the counter in a cool kitchen; I then got an oven-spring of over 2 inches. The texture of this bread is always excellent.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

Only baking I did was corn bread for supper.

BakerAunt
                Participant

I made sourdough pan pizza for dinner on Monday. I used homemade tomato sauce with our home grown tomatoes that I froze in the fall and topped it with the usual Canadian bacon, mozzarella cheese, mushrooms, red bell pepper, green onions, and grated Parmesan.

aaronatthedoublef
                  Participant

I made BA's crackers. I've been using the pasta roller and rolling the dough at room temp. I chilled it to see if I could roll it thinner. Not only could I not roll it thinner it cracked and shredded even at the "1" setting. So I warmed it in my hands and rolled it out on "2".

My second batch of whoopie pies came out nicely. I may add a little melted chocolate to the recipe to see what that does. I thought the filling was too buttery and not marshmallow-y (is that a word?) enough. Kate disagreed which was surprising because she usually favors sweet over butter.

I made sandwich bread again but haven't had a chance to make raisin bread. I'll get up early one morning this week and make it.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

I'm making another batch of semolina bread today.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

On Wednesday, I baked “Soft Oatmeal Raisin Cookies No Butter,” a recipe from Jenny Can Cook. (I am grateful to Len for directing us to her website.) I made a double recipe and used white whole wheat flour in place of the AP and added 2 Tbs. milk powder and 1 Tbs. flax meal. I used the Zeroll #16 scoop to make 15 large cookies. I used regular (old-fashioned) oats, as the recipe did not specify. I found that I needed to flatten the dough somewhat before baking. I baked them on the third rack up in my oven (a little above halfway) and found that they needed 18 minutes, and I turned them around after 9 minutes. I taste tested a slightly warm one—yummy. These are big cookies, so a single cookie is satisfactory.

Italiancook
                        Participant

I've backed away from baking. I gained 7 pounds during this pandemic because I've been hibernating. I've been eating what I bake, since I'm not baking for others during the pandemic. I can't guarantee I'm not asymptomatic. But I sure miss baking. My husband brought home great-looking mushrooms. So I'm tentatively thinking of making Cuban bread or semolina bread Saturday to make mushroom bruschetta. I've never made this with semolina, and all the semolina bread I've made in the past was given away. So I don't know if it's firm enough for bruschetta. But I have more semolina on hand than I need.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

Semolina breads can range from really soft to very firm, its largely in the shaping and baking.

chocomouse
                            Participant

Today I made the buttermilk maple bread recipe posted by Baker Aunt, my 2nd time making it, but with my additional adaptations. I subbed in one cup of whole wheat, and used AP instead of bread flour. As BakerAunt noted, and I found before, this loaf gets a lot of oven spring! I baked it (2 loaves, in cast iron) in my new counter top oven. I had turned off the convection and set the temperature to 330*. I need to make more adjustments using this oven, as the tops actually burned this time, and the bottoms were pale white. I have not cut into them yet, but I do think they are done. I'm going to try moving the rack down to the bottom level next. Other than bread, the baking option has worked perfectly for cookies, muffins, and sticky buns.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

Learning a new oven, alas, takes time, Chocomouse. Yes, that is a great bread.

I love baking with Bosc pears, but my favorite recipes involved lots of butter. I bought some Bosc pears and thought about trying to alter the recipes, but given how the butter works in those recipes, I decided it would be best to seek out new ones. On Friday, I baked Pear Ginger Bundt Cake, from the Imperial Sugar site:

http://www.imperialsugar.com/recipes/pear-ginger-bundt-cake

I tweaked the recipe by replacing a third of the AP flour with barley flour, adding 3 Tbs. Bob’s Red Mill milk powder, replacing ¼ of the 1 cup of vegetable oil (I use canola) with buttermilk, and replacing the ½ cup of sour cream with nonfat Greek yogurt. I processed regular sugar in my small food processor to get the extrafine sugar specified. I used the Nordic Ware Chiffon Bundt pan (recipe calls for a 10-12 cup) because I have not used that one in a while and coated it with the pan grease. I checked it after an hour and decided, based on the tester to allow another 5 minutes. It’s cooling, so I will not be glazing it until tomorrow. I'll report back on the taste and flavor.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

I am making an apple pie today, using more of the Cosmic Crisp apples I bought a few weeks ago that I've kept in the fridge. One of them developed a bad spot, the others appear just fine. The apple pie filling recipe I used (from SFBI) uses about 1125 grams of sliced apples, which is about 5 Cosmic Crisp apples.

I bought a bag of Bob's Red Mill white pastry flour and I'm seeing how that compares to the King Arthur pastry flour for pie crusts.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.