What are you Baking the Week of June 18, 2023?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of June 18, 2023?

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

On Wednesday, I baked two small loaves of Mostly Whole Wheat Maple Buttermilk Bread, which I am looking forward to having for ham sandwiches for dinner tomorrow. I say small loaves, because the recipe works for two 7x4-inch pans or a single 10x5-inch pan. This way, I can freeze a loaf and not worry about a large loaf getting moldy in the upper 80F weather we are getting.

chocomouse
      Participant

YES! BakerAunt, that would be a great dough to try. If it is too soft to easily form the braid, I think, not sure, that you could add a little more flour? I don't what else would help. Maybe Mike can chime in with suggestions.

chocomouse
        Participant

Italian Cook - I agree! I first made the baked pancakes a couple of months ago, and said never again will I stand at the griddle, flipping pancakes!! They came out exactly like my regular pancakes, except square instead of round.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

If the dough works for cinnamon rolls, it should work for a jalousie (filled braided loaf). I've made one with a REALLY soft dough, almost like a ciabatta dough, and it worked just fine though the braiding was a bit tricky.

chocomouse
            Participant

Today I made a carrot cake with pineapple and walnuts, and a cream cheese frosting.

BakerAunt
              Participant

Thanks, Mike and Chocomouse. I am going to try that dough and see how it works. I'm not sure when I will have a chance to bake it, but I will report back when I do.

I baked a Greek Yogurt Lemon Barley Cake on Thursday to use up some Greek yogurt. I baked it in the Nordic Ware Lemon Slice loaf pan, and the design came out very well. It will now rest overnight before we start slicing it tomorrow. I may sprinkle a little powdered sugar over the top.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

I got a new cookbook today, "Classic German Baking", by Luisa Weiss, published in 2016.

I already see several sweet recipes I want to try, including baumkuchen and some cookies, and a few bread recipes, too.

There are several strudel recipes and there's a cinnamon pretzel recipe that sounds interesting, too.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

I recall when that cookbook came out. I have seen it and considered buying it, but I suspect that the butter is strong in this one.

chocomouse
                    Participant

I made a loaf of black olive bread, and it rose so high the top burned on the upper elements in the Breville countertop oven! It's huge - about 5 inches about the sides of the bread pan. We'll see what it tastes like tomorrow.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

It looks like there are 2 cookie recipes that don't use any butter or other fat, 2 cakes but no yeasted cakes, 3 tortes but no strudels, 7 savory cakes, 2 breads, and a dozen Christmas recipes, so the book probably wouldn't be worth it to you these days.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

Thanks for checking, Mike!

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.